Gatwick to Tampa 777

Old Feb 6, 09, 4:54 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: UK
Posts: 24
Gatwick to Tampa 777

They seem to have reduced the number of seats in Business / World traveller class (a sign of the times no doubt). The old style seats configuration is still in use.

We have seats 10A and 10B on hold (night flight so not interested in a view). Would we be better off in 11A and 11B, bearing in mind this is the last row in business class?


Row 10A and 10B are nearer the galley.


Anyone had any experience of these seats?
trophy is offline  
Old Feb 6, 09, 5:05 pm
  #2  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Earth
Programs: Proud owner of 3 Mucci's (yes, 3!) the latest being Chevaliere des Bains Chauds, BA Silver (6 yrs)
Posts: 10,985
Think 10AB would be better than 11AB. Row 11 is next to WT+ whereas row 10 is closest to door 2 which is used for entry to aircraft.

Why not go for the front CW cabin - rows 2 - 4? Further away from WT+/WT and all CW seats at the front of the aircraft.

PS - Welcome to FT!
sunrisegirl is offline  
Old Feb 6, 09, 5:06 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: London & Surrey
Programs: BA Blue, Virgin Flying Club, Hertz #1 Gold, Avis Preferred, National Emerald, Dr. Oetker Speciale
Posts: 455
This is a route that I've travelled often, there are no bad seats per se but obviously further away from the galley is always better.
tony flynn is offline  
Old Feb 6, 09, 5:13 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: London & Surrey
Programs: BA Blue, Virgin Flying Club, Hertz #1 Gold, Avis Preferred, National Emerald, Dr. Oetker Speciale
Posts: 455
Actually yes, front cabin is best, thanks Sunrisegirl.
tony flynn is offline  
Old Feb 7, 09, 2:46 am
  #5  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: UK
Posts: 24
Thanks for all you replies.
We have got 2J and 2K on the way out but on the return there is less availability and as we want to sit together by a window seat only 10 and 11 A & B are on offer.
Seems like there is a difference of opinion as to which is the best.
One is nearer the galley and the other is nearer Economy plus so not a lot in it.
The seats are actually for my elderly parents--I'm stuck in economy somewhere!
trophy is offline  
Old Feb 7, 09, 3:41 am
  #6  
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Manchester, UK
Posts: 14,057
Originally Posted by trophy View Post
They seem to have reduced the number of seats in Business / World traveller class (a sign of the times no doubt).
Not sure I understand this?

Cheers,
Rick
DYKWIA is offline  
Old Feb 7, 09, 3:59 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Beautiful Stockholm,....and now getting darker earlier...urgh
Programs: BAGold. That´s it....oh, and Hertz #1 Gold 5 Star
Posts: 351
Originally Posted by DYKWIA View Post
Not sure I understand this?

Cheers,
Rick
Maybe Trophy got this 3 class 777 mixed up with the 4 class 777, where Club World is row 10 to row 15. (not just row 10 and 11 behind the galley, plus of course the rows up front of the galley)

Last edited by Chrispyat60; Feb 7, 09 at 5:08 am
Chrispyat60 is offline  
Old Feb 7, 09, 4:55 am
  #8  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: UK
Posts: 24
Originally Posted by Chrispyat60 View Post
Maybe Trophy got this 3 class 777 mixed up with the 4 class 777, where Club World is row 10 to row 15. (not just row 10 and 11 behind the galley

This is a 3 class 777 with no first class cabin.
trophy is offline  
Old Feb 7, 09, 5:16 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Beautiful Stockholm,....and now getting darker earlier...urgh
Programs: BAGold. That´s it....oh, and Hertz #1 Gold 5 Star
Posts: 351
Originally Posted by trophy View Post
This is a 3 class 777 with no first class cabin.
Very sorry if you missunderstood me. Apologies.

But you should go for the seats up front for your parents, if you can get the ones you want, then the´re in a completely secluded cabin.. but of course will be more difficult for you to visit them.

Last edited by Chrispyat60; Feb 7, 09 at 5:26 am
Chrispyat60 is offline  
Old Feb 7, 09, 5:25 am
  #10  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: UK
Posts: 24
Originally Posted by Chrispyat60 View Post
Very sorry if you missunderstood me. Apologies.

But you should go for the seats up front, if you can get the ones you want, then your´e in a completely secluded cabin.
The only available seats on the return jurney are 10 A & B and 11 A & B.
Nothing else is on offer, so I was just asking which is best out of the 2 rows available.
Sorry, probably me not making myself clear.
trophy is offline  
Old Feb 10, 09, 6:13 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 75
Originally Posted by trophy View Post
The only available seats on the return jurney are 10 A & B and 11 A & B.
Nothing else is on offer, so I was just asking which is best out of the 2 rows available.
All things considered, I'd opt for 11 A&B as both seats have direct aisle access; 10A has to step over the legs of sleeping 11B which might not be ideal for whicever of your parents happens to be seated at the window; the trolley will almost certainly bump into 10B despite the best efforts of the crew.
mile higher is offline  
Old Feb 10, 09, 7:10 am
  #12  
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: BOS
Programs: BA - Blue > Bronze > Silver > Bronze > Blue
Posts: 6,516
Originally Posted by mile higher View Post
All things considered, I'd opt for 11 A&B as both seats have direct aisle access; 10A has to step over the legs of sleeping 11B which might not be ideal for whicever of your parents happens to be seated at the window; the trolley will almost certainly bump into 10B despite the best efforts of the crew.
The only problem is these is that, according to reports on here, is that you're potentially allowing yourself perfect access to any wailing babies and all the other horrors on the other side of the WT+ partition!! (as with the last row of CW in 4 Class 777s)

Im in a similar situation on a 3 class booking I have. As a non status pax, there are only 2 pairs of Window Aisle seats available in the front cabin on the outbound and none on the inbound (at d-25 or so). Obviously I'll be after 2/4 J/K if I can get it on the outbound (although I believe that row 4 maybe used as a crew rest) on the return I was actually thinking that I may get centre seats, as its dark outside anyway

Is the second cabin really not as good, simply because of its proximity to WT+
Cap'n Benj is offline  
Old Feb 10, 09, 9:33 am
  #13  
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 75
Originally Posted by Cap'n Benj View Post
The only problem is these is that, according to reports on here, is that you're potentially allowing yourself perfect access to any wailing babies and all the other horrors on the other side of the WT+ partition!! (as with the last row of CW in 4 Class 777s)
If there is a baby in the first row of WT+, and if it wails, the additional four feet forward from row 11 to row 10 makes no difference, you're gonna listen to it wail! Likewise, I've been in every club cabin of every current configuration of club (specifically, there are bassinets in both club sections on a 3 class) and been treated to a club baby wailing (and a baby wailing in 1A on a 747 whilst its parents buddy dined in 1K for what turned into a 14.5hour sector last weekend was a real treat). YMMV but I wouldn't personally select my seat based on the risk of being exposed to an infant's (or a snoring grown up's, or whoever's) noise.
mile higher is offline  
Old Apr 19, 09, 2:25 pm
  #14  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: UK
Posts: 24
Originally Posted by mile higher View Post
If there is a baby in the first row of WT+, and if it wails, the additional four feet forward from row 11 to row 10 makes no difference, you're gonna listen to it wail! Likewise, I've been in every club cabin of every current configuration of club (specifically, there are bassinets in both club sections on a 3 class) and been treated to a club baby wailing (and a baby wailing in 1A on a 747 whilst its parents buddy dined in 1K for what turned into a 14.5hour sector last weekend was a real treat). YMMV but I wouldn't personally select my seat based on the risk of being exposed to an infant's (or a snoring grown up's, or whoever's) noise.

Returned from Tampa and how right you are.
Outward bound my parents were in 2 J and K and 3 rows behind was a toddler who howled non stop apart from the last hour with one of those liberated mothers who did nothing to pacify her little darling. When you pay £1,300 for a seat I think it should be a child free zone!

On the return flight they had row 11 and had a wondeful child free journey!
trophy is offline  
Old Apr 19, 09, 3:30 pm
  #15  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Earth
Programs: Proud owner of 3 Mucci's (yes, 3!) the latest being Chevaliere des Bains Chauds, BA Silver (6 yrs)
Posts: 10,985
Originally Posted by trophy View Post
Returned from Tampa and how right you are.
Outward bound my parents were in 2 J and K and 3 rows behind was a toddler who howled non stop apart from the last hour with one of those liberated mothers who did nothing to pacify her little darling. When you pay £1,300 for a seat I think it should be a child free zone!

On the return flight they had row 11 and had a wondeful child free journey!
A flight without babies is a heavenly flight. A flight with babies is often a hellish flight. Having been though the latter you have my sympathy. Though to be fair some parents do care how others are affected by the noise of their little ones, just wish they were all that way.
sunrisegirl is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread