Community
Wiki Posts
Search

MFU and Chaos Theory

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2009, 6:19 am
Original Poster

MFU and Chaos Theory

Having been watching the (lack of) suitable MFU availability on the MCO route recently, I've been struck by how fluid availability is. One day there's loads - then, seemingly at random, it nearly all disappears only to reappear a few days later. This happened most recently when the One World sale was announced - suddenly only 2 days in Feb were available, then yesterday another 10 days re-appeared.

I wonder how it's calculated? It doesn't seem to be directly related to loads, as some busy flights still have availability,and some relatively empty days don't...although the really empty days do always seem to be available for MFU. Is there a limit to the number of MFUs allowed, even if that means empty seats in CW?

I'm not obsessing, I could stop anytime I want. Honestly. Still optimistic that the random number generator will throw up my lucky seat in the next few days...
Old Feb 6, 2009, 6:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Fourier
Having been watching the (lack of) suitable MFU availability on the MCO route recently, I've been struck by how fluid availability is. One day there's loads - then, seemingly at random, it nearly all disappears only to reappear a few days later. This happened most recently when the One World sale was announced - suddenly only 2 days in Feb were available, then yesterday another 10 days re-appeared.

I wonder how it's calculated? It doesn't seem to be directly related to loads, as some busy flights still have availability,and some relatively empty days don't...although the really empty days do always seem to be available for MFU. Is there a limit to the number of MFUs allowed, even if that means empty seats in CW?

I'm not obsessing, I could stop anytime I want. Honestly. Still optimistic that the random number generator will throw up my lucky seat in the next few days...
When you say empty do you mean empty in the discount premium buckets (i.e. R=9 or A=9) or empty in the J or F buckets?
Old Feb 6, 2009, 6:27 am
Original Poster

Well, I'm not fully au fait with all of the codes, but there have been days with 7+ J seats left, fewer R and I seats, but no MFU - yet others with maybe only 4 J still have MFU. Flights with 9 in every category usually have availability, but as I said, even these disappeared for a few days last week only to reappear yesterday!
Old Feb 6, 2009, 6:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Fourier
Well, I'm not fully au fait with all of the codes, but there have been days with 7+ J seats left, fewer R and I seats, but no MFU - yet others with maybe only 4 J still have MFU. Flights with 9 in every category usually have availability, but as I said, even these disappeared for a few days last week only to reappear yesterday!
On routes which have a tendency for late J sales you would expect Rev Man to hold onto the revenue seats for as long as possible (with redemption availability then perhaps appearing at 48 hours notice). On routes which do not (or days and times which do not) then you would expect to see more availability. Issues like convention bookings, tour Op block bookings, special events at the destination etc. will all play a part.

The alternative view is that its all a bit like deal or no deal where they effectively make decisons at random perhaps by blindfolding themselves and sticking pins in bits of paper rather than opening boxes. It would be good to be the banker in this scenario wouldn't it? for instance "I will offer you 50p for this F ticket to SYD!".
Old Feb 6, 2009, 8:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
The route analyst is probably playing around with some influences in the RM system. Alternatively BA's demand forecaster is up the fizzer. I would not apply any science to it.

I would imagine that U is nested in I. That is U is never available when I is closed. In laymans terms, if you see I0 in Expert Flyer there will not be any availability for MFU.
Old Feb 6, 2009, 8:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA LTG + GGL, SPG LTP, HHonors Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador
Originally Posted by Sixth Freedom
In laymans terms, if you see I0 in Expert Flyer there will not be any availability for MFU.
Not so.
Old Feb 6, 2009, 9:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by G-BOAC
Not so.
Even bearing in mind that availability in EF does not appear to be point of sale UK?
Old Feb 6, 2009, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA LTG + GGL, SPG LTP, HHonors Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador
Originally Posted by Sixth Freedom
Even bearing in mind that availability in EF does not appear to be point of sale UK?
I have seen flights where the lowest fare bucket being sold to me isn't A/I/T (and not due to AP requirements) yet there is still Z/U/P available. It's not that illogical when you think about it - the buckets are a complex business, often targeting different audiences. Think about the business traveller with his flexible I class ticket (e.g., ex-EU) trying to change flights. If there's no I class available, they might pay for an upgrade to R, D, etc. netting BA some extra revenue. Quite independant of the fact BA have U seats available to offer to a leisure traveller looking to MFU on that same flight to attract them/reduce miles liability/whatever reasons. HKG springs to mind as a route that (used to, before the downturn anyway) be quite well known for opening up award space quite close to departure but the paid buckets could be all over the shop still.

Likewise in Europe - I know at least one FTer who missed a flight and couldn't buy a ticket on the next flight in any bucket but (IIRC) J. It was U2 though...
Old Feb 6, 2009, 12:59 pm

Originally Posted by G-BOAC
HKG springs to mind as a route that (used to, before the downturn anyway) be quite well known for opening up award space quite close to departure but the paid buckets could be all over the shop still.
JFK is another one that can offer a plethora of redemption seats in F and J in the week prior to departure with the paid seats being very volatile. I find this to be where my miles mountain really comes into its own.

I think it is fair to say that if you are seeing I0 (or R0) some months out from depature, it is usually the case that redemption seats will not be offered.
Old Feb 6, 2009, 1:22 pm

Programs: HiltonH. Gold Starwood Gold BA BLUES! Mucci.
I was recently informed that miles availability is sometimes blocked during weather & other problems; protecting seats to enable re-booking of pax stranded, but I can't see that this block would be on for months ahead.... unless the BA res. system works that way.?
Old Feb 6, 2009, 1:31 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Skipcool3
I was recently informed that miles availability is sometimes blocked during weather & other problems; protecting seats to enable re-booking of pax stranded, but I can't see that this block would be on for months ahead.... unless the BA res. system works that way.?
That would explain the sudden disappearance a few days ago, and then their reappearance - these were Feb flights I was looking at. Still, perhaps a sudden thaw will release more of those lovely seats that have been elusive so far - otherwise it's only a glimpse through the curtain to the sunlight uplands of club world for me...!
Old Feb 6, 2009, 2:02 pm

Programs: HiltonH. Gold Starwood Gold BA BLUES! Mucci.
If the seats don't get released, console yourself with the fact that it would have been old club world anyway on the Gatwick 777, the crew will not disturb you as much in WT+ (There will always be some crew from er... the surrounding area discussing (well you know!))... Don't know if your exp. has been any better!!
If the seats do get released of course, order the fizz, insert ear plugs and enjoy!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.