Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

OT: [Old News] US Airways plane down in Hudson River, NY

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

OT: [Old News] US Airways plane down in Hudson River, NY

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2009, 4:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
What a fantastic pilot. ^

This is the map of the flight, it would appear the aircraft was in the air for approx 6 minutes; http://flightaware.com/live/flight/A...004Z/KLGA/KCLT

Location: SCL, MCT, LGW and a variety of 1W lounges in between.
Programs: BA Mucci (Seigneur et Ingenieur des Appareils Volants (Gold)), QF (WP and LTG), AA EXP, GF Gold
There I was writing an Airbus A319/320/321 cabin safety quiz as you are all such regular users. Looks like a couple of the questions that I was going to ask are going to be a bit easier for you to answer.

Happy landings

Spottie.

Programs: BA Bronze, GF, EK, WY
Kudos to the crew for turning what could have been potentially very nasty into something we'll forget about in a day or two (spottie excepted) ^
Old Jan 15, 2009, 4:17 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Gold
Originally Posted by dunk
Kudos to the crew for turning what could have been potentially very nasty into something we'll forget about in a day or two (spottie excepted) ^
Unfortunately I would not be surprised if in a few days we don't have some people posting somewhere on FT to criticise the crew for something or other which they perceive should have been done differently - I'm sure it happened in threads on recent incidents such as CO in DEN, BA in LHR and AF in YUL etc.
Old Jan 15, 2009, 4:43 pm
Suspended

Programs: Proud owner of 3 Mucci's (yes, 3!) the latest being Chevaliere des Bains Chauds, BA Silver (6 yrs)
Originally Posted by bcmatt
Unfortunately I would not be surprised if in a few days we don't have some people posting somewhere on FT to criticise the crew for something or other which they perceive should have been done differently - I'm sure it happened in threads on recent incidents such as CO in DEN, BA in LHR and AF in YUL etc.
There are already a handful of criticisms on a certain PPilot forum
Old Jan 15, 2009, 5:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
Wait and see. It's possible there will be criticism to go around, but I'll be surprised if it will be aimed at airline or aircrew....the airport is generally the prime contender, because they actually have responsibility to manage the problem. interesting to hear more details of what actually happened...
Old Jan 15, 2009, 5:15 pm

Originally Posted by Jenbel
Wait and see. It's possible there will be criticism to go around, but I'll be surprised if it will be aimed at airline or aircrew....
I didn't mean to imply there would be justified criticism - just ranting and backseat flying from armchair online commentators!
Old Jan 15, 2009, 5:19 pm

Originally Posted by bcmatt
I didn't mean to imply there would be justified criticism - just ranting and backseat flying from armchair online commentators!
That goes without saying - it is FT afterall

One of the BBC commentators was shockingly bad btw
Old Jan 15, 2009, 5:30 pm

You know, nowadays with almost all news coverage on any subject matter, regardless of provider, I assume it is flawed and inaccurate and if I'm interested in the topic seek expert comments elsewhere or look for primary sources.

Comes of writing a PhD and realising that ALL Western news coverage of my research area is woefully simplistic and riddled with flaws. If they are like that on something I do know about, they are unlikely to be better on a subject I don't know about!
Old Jan 15, 2009, 5:34 pm

Programs: BA Gold(OWE), QF LTG, MR Plat, IHG Spire, Hertz PC

Some 'aviation analyst'! He was not very clear, uming and ahing almost every sentence! Spottie despite being on the phone seemed very clear, concise and most importantly confident - quite a contrast between the two!
Old Jan 15, 2009, 5:40 pm

Originally Posted by Traveloguy
Some 'aviation analyst'! He was not very clear, uming and ahing almost every sentence! Spottie despite being on the phone seemed very clear, concise and most importantly confident - quite a contrast between the two!
and he was stating as facts things which were entirely incorrect. Apparently, they couldn't have lost both engines since he could see them both still on the plane
Old Jan 15, 2009, 5:47 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Icelandair, IHG Diamond Elite Ambassador, Hertz 5*
More pictures - worth taking a look. Pics are clearer and show much more of the rescue

Here
Old Jan 15, 2009, 6:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA LTG + GGL, SPG LTP, HHonors Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador
I was surprised to see Sky had Eric Moody on the phone (unfortunately mostly just talking about the pictures as we saw them live too, not adding a whole heap of value)...before the usual Rentagob Learmount could be found...
Old Jan 15, 2009, 6:14 pm
Moderator, Hertz; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM, BA GGL, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond and others
Wow.
Now, that is just impressive that noone was injured. ^
Old Jan 15, 2009, 6:57 pm

If only we had a siren voice on this forum, I'm thinking Scottish, likes sheep, who could have warned us of the dangers of multiple bird strikes...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.