Community
Wiki Posts
Search

T5C [what is the opening date?]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2009, 3:47 pm
Original Poster

T5C [what is the opening date?]

Does anyone have any idea of the opening date for T5C. Also, will it be identical to T5B or will there be differences.
Old Jan 10, 2009, 4:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
T5C is scheduled to open sometime in 2010, when the remaining BA flights not currently in T5 are scheduled to move over.

I presume it will be pretty similar to T5B, with a Galleries Lounge. I don't think detailed plans have been released yet.
Old Jan 10, 2009, 5:07 pm

Programs: BAEC Bronze
Originally Posted by Genius1
T5C is scheduled to open sometime in 2010, when the remaining BA flights not currently in T5 are scheduled to move over.
Except for the few terminal changes between T3/T5 later this year, BA are not planning to move any other flights to T5. So all Spanish flights will be from T3, as will the codeshares to HEL and the JSA to Australia. These will not move to T5, even after T5C is operational.

T5C will be used mainly to reduce the number of coaching departures.
Old Jan 10, 2009, 5:49 pm

Programs: AA plat pro, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by SpeedbirdLHR

let's hope so...
Old Jan 11, 2009, 12:23 am

Programs: Lord OPebble - Mucci of the Hour. Diamond Class MUCCI.Chevalier du Circle Intime de Pucci
I know that the shuttle train that goes between T5 and T5B at the moment has already been built to go to T5C but I wonder if there are any plans to extend it to T3?

IMHO that would make a lot of sense to enable the BA and OneWorld flights in T3 to easily interchange with T5 and vice-versa.
Old Jan 11, 2009, 2:26 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH Sen, MUCCI, Junior Jet Club.
At the last investor day's presentation BA said that the business case for a lounge complex in T5C as well as having one in A and B was still to be decided. I would imagine in the current climate (with the postponement of new First and the refurb of JFK T7) that it's either been put on hold or cancelled completely.
Old Jan 11, 2009, 2:40 am

Location: 15 minutes west of LHR, Stockholm, or somewhere inbetween.
Programs: BAEC Gold GGL, CCR, GfL, Mucci des Recherches des Consommations Exotiques.
Originally Posted by OPebble
I know that the shuttle train that goes between T5 and T5B at the moment has already been built to go to T5C but I wonder if there are any plans to extend it to T3?
I believe BAA have plans to do so, but that no decision has been taken.

I'll see what I can find out, once I'm back in the UK.

bjorns
Old Jan 11, 2009, 8:29 am

Programs: BAEC lowly blue, various semi-worthless hotel programs.
Originally Posted by OPebble

IMHO that would make a lot of sense to enable the BA and OneWorld flights in T3 to easily interchange with T5 and vice-versa.
I have heard this too: a friend working at T5 informs me that the link is built for the train to T5C, and in addition that the underground structures for T5C are all in place. He didn't say anything about a link to T3 though (although I didn't ask).
Old Jan 11, 2009, 9:06 am

Programs: BA Gold (just!), BA Amex PP, Amex Plat, Accor Fav Guest, Priority Club Platinum
I hate coaches as much as anyone, but is it really worth building an entire satellite terminal just to cut down on a few buses? Also, what will happen to the coach departure gates that are there at the moment?

Not criticising, and I'll be glad when it's built, but if there's quibbling over a lounge, surely there has to be something said about the actual building itself?
Old Jan 11, 2009, 9:30 am

Programs: Lord OPebble - Mucci of the Hour. Diamond Class MUCCI.Chevalier du Circle Intime de Pucci
Originally Posted by Worthing Scottish
I hate coaches as much as anyone, but is it really worth building an entire satellite terminal just to cut down on a few buses? Also, what will happen to the coach departure gates that are there at the moment?

Not criticising, and I'll be glad when it's built, but if there's quibbling over a lounge, surely there has to be something said about the actual building itself?
T5C is so far along now that they are v unlikely to suspend building. They may decide not to fit out a Premium lounge(s)!
Old Jan 11, 2009, 9:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Worthing Scottish
No, I think that it's more that T5 was always going to have T5C, but BAA didn't have enough money to build it at the same time as T5A and T5B - and BA has capitalised on the delay by getting the design changed to accommodate the whales that it has bought in the interim.
Old Jan 11, 2009, 9:43 am

Programs: BA Gold (just!), BA Amex PP, Amex Plat, Accor Fav Guest, Priority Club Platinum
Re the actual construction: fair enough if it's already beyond the point of no return. I guess you can't really leave a half-completed building site lying around in a major international airport in the same way the housebuilders can leave developments sitting unfinished...
Old Jan 11, 2009, 11:57 am

Originally Posted by SpeedbirdLHR
Except for the few terminal changes between T3/T5 later this year, BA are not planning to move any other flights to T5. So all Spanish flights will be from T3, as will the codeshares to HEL and the JSA to Australia. These will not move to T5, even after T5C is operational.

Is there no chance that the Vienna flights will move to T5C as unlike Spain, Finland and Australia there is no code share.

If all T3 short hauls were 737s clearly this could not happen, but as they are not it would at least be possible?
Old Jan 11, 2009, 1:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
I thought it was always the plan to move every LHR BA flight to T5 once T5C was complete?
Old Jan 11, 2009, 1:49 pm

Originally Posted by Genius1
I thought it was always the plan to move every LHR BA flight to T5 once T5C was complete?
No - one reason is that all of T5 and it's siblings is containerised for baggage handling and certainly 757's can't take containers.

My information is that the Balearics and OneWorld were always headed towards to T3. Again digging into the dim and distant past even with T5C in operation there is just not enough gates for all BAs flights.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.