Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tesco and BA [2009 archive]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2009, 7:44 am

Programs: BA Silver, HHonors Gold, Club Accorhotels Silver
800 bonus points on a bottle of G H Martel Prestige Brut champagne until 18th August - this is on the groceries site, not the wine site.

Costs £26.98 per bottle.
Old Jul 23, 2009, 8:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by hingethunder
800 bonus points on a bottle of G H Martel Prestige Brut champagne until 18th August - this is on the groceries site, not the wine site.

Costs £26.98 per bottle.
A quick Google search shows this stuff is often sold for around £15 in Tesco ....
Old Jul 23, 2009, 8:10 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Mucci Champion des Champions, BAG4L, *A Gold, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz Gold, Avis President
Originally Posted by hingethunder

Costs £26.98 per bottle.
They were previously selling this champagne at £16.98. Mr Tesco, he's not stupid

Last edited by BAGoldBoy; Jul 23, 2009 at 8:12 am Reason: Beaten by Raffles again!
Old Jul 23, 2009, 11:19 am

Programs: BA Gold (and many other greater and lesser distinctions)
Originally Posted by BAGoldBoy
They were previously selling this champagne at £16.98. Mr Tesco, he's not stupid
2,600 miles (at the old 3.2 rate)for £10. Actually not a bad deal.
Old Jul 23, 2009, 3:31 pm
formerly Sparkster

Originally Posted by Frequentflyer99
Just popped across to the local Tesco Extra...

6 x Martell Brut (there were 11 on the shelf) = £161.88
- wine discount = £8.10
- bonus coupon = £5 (for spending more than £50)
Total to pay = £148.78
Points this visit = 4953 (or 15,849 BA Miles at the old 3.2 rate)

Think that's pretty good going.
Old Jul 23, 2009, 4:27 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Frequentflyer99
That's assuming you'd have bought the stuff in the first place at the original price, but ok if you want to soothe your purchasing guilt to feel more at ease with the cost of your miles then I suppose you could look at it that way...I can't pretend I'm guiltless in convincing myself to buy piles of Tesco junk in the past!
Old Jul 23, 2009, 7:43 pm

Programs: Just a lowly Blue ;(
Update,

Just sold my Benetton cold for about £30 so my 12,000 miles has cost me £50
Old Jul 23, 2009, 11:34 pm

Programs: BA Gold, BMI, ANA, HH Blue, SPG Gold
Last night I was talking to a friend about AMEX / Tesco and she said she has a Tesco Visa card, which earns her more points / miles than her AMEX PP.

Does anyone know anything about this?

Thanks for all the info. I've just realised I am quite a novice and clearly need a mileage consultant!
Old Jul 24, 2009, 12:13 am

Programs: BA - Blue > Bronze > Silver > Bronze > Blue
Originally Posted by botham
Last night I was talking to a friend about AMEX / Tesco and she said she has a Tesco Visa card, which earns her more points / miles than her AMEX PP.

Does anyone know anything about this?

Thanks for all the info. I've just realised I am quite a novice and clearly need a mileage consultant!
It doesn't.
Old Jul 24, 2009, 12:47 am

Programs: MUCCI
Originally Posted by Cap'n Benj
It doesn't.
Do be so sure. I'm not an expert in AMEX card terminology, so not certain which card you are refering to. Are you talking about the basic BA AMEX?

The old Tesco credit cards (no longer availbale for new applicants) earn more BA miles per £ than the basic BA AMEX. Thats even if you are on the standard conversion rate. There are some people who qualified and convert at the old higer tesco/BA rate (again no longer available), I've not worked it out but I would readily believe they would be at least comparable to the top BA AMEX.

Last edited by David-A; Jul 24, 2009 at 12:56 am
Old Jul 24, 2009, 2:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Correct. See also the bit in the first post and the Ultimate BA Guide about the Tesco card.
Old Jul 24, 2009, 3:08 am

Programs: BAEC, Blue for now.
Walking around Bank and Liverpool Street Tescos last night I could only really find Bacon with extra points... looks like I'll be just shy of the extra 1000 clubcard points I wanted to get this week before the 26th July cut off point.
Old Jul 24, 2009, 3:29 am

Programs: BA - Blue > Bronze > Silver > Bronze > Blue
Originally Posted by David-A
Do be so sure. I'm not an expert in AMEX card terminology, so not certain which card you are refering to. Are you talking about the basic BA AMEX?

The old Tesco credit cards (no longer availbale for new applicants) earn more BA miles per £ than the basic BA AMEX. Thats even if you are on the standard conversion rate. There are some people who qualified and convert at the old higer tesco/BA rate (again no longer available), I've not worked it out but I would readily believe they would be at least comparable to the top BA AMEX.
He states she has the Premium Plus card.
Old Jul 24, 2009, 3:50 am

Programs: MUCCI
Originally Posted by Cap'n Benj
He states she has the Premium Plus card.
Indeed it was the 'PP' bit I wasn't certain of.
I wasn't sure if that was a BA Premium Plus or some other type of amex....

Anyway,

BA normal Amex - you'd earn 1 BA mile per £.
BA Premium Plus - you'd earn 1.5 BA miles per £.

Old Tesco cards (not availble for new applicants), you'd earn 0.5 Tesco points per £.
So this is either:
- 1.2 BA miles per £ if you are on the normal Tesco>BA rate.
- 1.6 BA miles per £ if you are still on the better Tesco>BA rate (needed to be qualified for, no longer available for entry).

Added advantage is that the Tesco cards are Visa/Mastercard not Amex, so are accepted in more places.

New tesco cards are, IIRC, 0.25 Tesco points per £.

As Raffles says, check the ultimate guide. These figures are based on my recollection.
Old Jul 24, 2009, 4:40 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA EXP
Originally Posted by David-A
New tesco cards are, IIRC, 0.25 Tesco points per £.
I may be wrong but I vaguely recall a discussion some time ago which mentioned that the Tesco card offered 1 Clubcard point per £4 spent outside Tesco's. This means that you get just one point if the spend is anywhere between £4.00 and £7.99 (which does devalue the 1/4 value a bit).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.