Old Jul 21, 2009, 4:17 pm

Programs: BA Exec Blue, Virgin Silver, BMI Blue Plus, Iberia
Good earning opportunity

Originally Posted by mdj1
Put a few too many 00 in LOL.

Benetton Cold

£8 / 500 points
http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/dea...d-points-deals

Try here guys. A few more aftershaves available. May be better to drink than the Vina Sol which we stocked up on recently for Clubcard points and miles!! It's easier to carry twenty bottles of cheap aftershave from the store anyway
Old Jul 22, 2009, 1:43 am

Programs: BA, IHG, 5C
So if you have any vouchers at home, you can "double-up" £4 of vouchers for £8 of health & beauty vouchers in-store, and turn that into 5000pts/£5 by buying the aftershave. What a shame the Tesco-cycle is three months!
Old Jul 22, 2009, 2:09 am

Programs: Sometimes BA, sometimes AA
Surprise surprise no stock of the Benetton in my local Tesco, and the Lanvin Oxygen is £14.50 rather than the £8 MoneySavingExpert claims it should be

Edit: seems it's only the men's Oxygen that should be £8, with the women's being £14.50. But in that case, that was also out of stock.
Old Jul 22, 2009, 3:40 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
Had a look around Tesco just now and couldn't see any points offers bar the one for 2 bags of crisps and razor blades. Plenty of yellow 2 for £xxx stickers.
Some of the products aren't in any of our 3 stores either.
Still, got 1560 points this quarter so far with a trip to the petrol station this Friday still to come.

Not going to go out of my way to buy loads of aftershaves that I'll never use (let alone know what it smells like in the first place) just for some extra points.
Old Jul 22, 2009, 4:12 am
Suspended

Useful link http://supermarketspecialoffers.com/...intOffers.aspx
Old Jul 22, 2009, 4:17 am

Cat / Bag disconnect

From the Martin Lewis MSE mailout, moments ago:

Biggest Ever Tesco loophole! Spend £8, get perfume/aftershave & £20 Tesco Rewards vouchers (£12 profit). Buy an £8 fragrance & get 500 bonus points, which are convertible into £10 of wine/cosmetics in-store or £20 of Tesco Rewards, ie you're in profit. Ends 28 July. New Deals List: Tesco Clubcard Loopholes
Old Jul 22, 2009, 4:20 am
Suspended

Appears not all stores regualrly stock fragrances/perfume/aftershave, so perhaps best not to spend too much money looking for them.
Old Jul 22, 2009, 4:23 am

Programs: BA Exec Blue, Virgin Silver, BMI Blue Plus, Iberia
Originally Posted by xenole
Had a look around Tesco just now and couldn't see any points offers bar the one for 2 bags of crisps and razor blades. Plenty of yellow 2 for £xxx stickers.
Some of the products aren't in any of our 3 stores either.
Still, got 1560 points this quarter so far with a trip to the petrol station this Friday still to come.

Not going to go out of my way to buy loads of aftershaves that I'll never use (let alone know what it smells like in the first place) just for some extra points.
Some stuff - particularly fruit and veg - has the points offers on the bag and not any sign. Like avocados 30points (just got this morning!). There are some good websites like the one richardwft mentions which list everything currently on offer, and when the offers expire, and allow you to do a more focussed and thefore quick points hunt round the store. The list of clubcard extra points offers on tesco.com isn't totally comprehensive. So keep your eyes peeled, but don't waste hours looking!
Old Jul 22, 2009, 6:47 am

Originally Posted by mdj1
5000 points for an £80 spend!
That's 12,000 miles at 0.006p a mile yes?
Originally Posted by TEX277
No! That should be £0.0067 (ie. 0.67p) per mile. Still good value! ^
Interesting. Although the "good value" depends on what you use the miles for.

For example, if you were planning a mileage trip LHR-JFK-LHR it wouldnt particualrly be that good value.

A revenue ticket in the sale would cost £1099 all in, from which you would earn 10,374 miles. Hence an equivalent mileage only ticket would be 110,374 miles and hence cost £739.51 worth of 0.67p miles. Then you need to add on tax at £297.10, getting you to a total of £1036.61.

So on that particular example, you have saved £62 but not received any tier points.

Clearly however the majority of long haul redemption options (incl MFU) are greatly in favour of miles rather than revenue.
Old Jul 22, 2009, 6:49 am

Programs: Just a lowly Blue ;(
I only ever use miles to MFU so a one way upgrade to CW to the US has cost me £80 to buy the miles from BA would cost £217
Old Jul 22, 2009, 6:56 am

Originally Posted by potfish
Surprise surprise no stock of the Benetton in my local Tesco, and the Lanvin Oxygen is £14.50 rather than the £8 MoneySavingExpert claims it should be

Edit: seems it's only the men's Oxygen that should be £8, with the women's being £14.50. But in that case, that was also out of stock.
Plenty of the stuff on eBay now though. Funny that, eh!
Old Jul 22, 2009, 7:04 am

Horses. Courses.

It's a trade off. Yes, you can get £1,099 J tickets to NYC. But, you've got to meet the APEX conditions and they are non-refundable, non-changeable.

If you're the sort who has a regular job and can book holidays and keep to them, then that's obviously the way to go. But generating miles and then getting reward seats is a boon to all those who don't enjoy a pay cheque on the 28th of each month and can't book holidays in the traditional sense.

Pluses of self employment include never using public transport in the rush hour, not having a boss other than yourself and poached eggs for breakfast in bed with a copy of the Racing Post and the Morning Star. At 10.30am. On a Monday. When it's raining. In February. Minuses include having to be ready to work at pretty short notice, meaning all flights and holidays have to be refundable and ideally changeable.

Not being an international diamond thief, I can't afford to buy full fare J/F tickets. So miles bookings make perfect sense for me. YMMV, so to speak.
Old Jul 22, 2009, 7:34 am

Programs: Just a lowly Blue ;(
Benetton HOT (womens) is £10 here
Old Jul 22, 2009, 7:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by knifeandfork
It's a trade off. Yes, you can get £1,099 J tickets to NYC. But, you've got to meet the APEX conditions and they are non-refundable, non-changeable.
Actually, now I'm a family man, I value the flexibility of reward tickets more and more.

Booking a long-haul holiday now involves a) me and Ms Raffles being fit and well (obviously not a big problem normally), b) Baby Raffles being fit and well (being a sprog, less predictable), c) retired grandparents both being fit and well so they can look after Baby Raffles for a few days (less predictable at their age) and d) me and Ms Raffles both not being dumped with a work-related crisis at relatively short notice. Knowing that I'm not going to £thousands out of pocket if any of these go wrong is a lot less to worry about - most would not be covered by travel insurance unless the condition was serious.
Old Jul 22, 2009, 1:43 pm

Programs: BA Blue, BMI Blue+
Originally Posted by Raffles
Actually, now I'm a family man, I value the flexibility of reward tickets more and more.
Yes, very much so. I can't see myself ever buying longhaul revenue tickets for holidays with a young family. MFU from WT+ to CW is great, particularly if you are travelling alone or with one other, but you don't get the flexibility, which with a young family you really need.

On BA any sort of flexibility costs a whole chunk of extra wonga (in fact pretty much anything ex-UK).

I'm already planning the 6 redemption seats to CPT with the family in 2 years time (including grandparents). If you can change the return having flown the outbound on a 2-4-1 then that takes the remaining worry of travelling with a sprog. We had to delay (e.g. throwaway and repurchase) el-cheapo internal flights in the US as our sprog was ill when in the middle of a two week trip to the US. Luckily it wasn't the transatlantic flights on BA in F that got binned.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.