Baby in First

Old Jan 13, 2009, 11:24 am

Location: London (UK), Kolkata (India), and a part of the Netherlands you wouldn't like to visit (aka Purmerend)!
Programs: IC Royal Ambassador
Originally Posted by Hoboken1K
To my great pleasure, not as much as a wimper from the sprog on either segment. Good parent!!!
I just stumbled across this thread looking for some other info about travelling with children.

Sometimes a little understanding is needed.

My son (who is indeed very well behaved) had never so much as whimpered on a flight prior to a night time flight in First (lhr to BKK). He was two and a half at the time, and for no reason, four hours in to the flight (whilst every single passenger on the flight seemed to be asleep), he woke up screaming. He was inconsolable. Trying to comfort him in any way made him even louder. This continued (to our absolute horror) for about 20 minutes, by which time every single person in 1st had been awakened. We didn't walk him around; touching him made him worse; we couldn't take him elsewhere (the plane was full and although we asked if there was somewhere, anywhere we could go, the attendant said it was not possible-all she said was "could you please make him quiet").

Many comments were made about us from the many angry passengers around us....I understand and sympathise with them; I too would have been far from happy to have been woken up like this.

In the end, he passed out and didn't waken again until breakfast time.....though the small child of the other couple in first was happy to take up the screaming mantle about 15 minutes after our son went back to sleep! In the morning, we apologised to the 9 affected passengers in first.....and were told by a few of the passengers in 1st that we should think carefully before travelling in 1st again with an unruly child, and told by the other half that we shouldn't worry as "we've all been parents/all are parents/etc."

Now, reasonably happy, he told us he had extreme pain in his ear.

When we landed, my wife took out her otoscope and we found he had a perforated ear drum....the cause of the uncontrollable screaming.

Sometimes, it's not just good/bad parenting that makes the difference. There can be other reasons too.....and my son has never been a cause of disturbance on any flight since.

We do try to ensure our children are never a cause of problems to any other passengers, and as a father, I am hardly ever bothered by any other people's children, but if you are, the only way to ensure peace from kids is by flying on an airline which does not permit small children in the cabin....or charter an Amsair jet.....which works out cheaper for us if the whole family is travelling together.
Old Jan 13, 2009, 1:32 pm

Programs: BA Blue, BMI Blue+
Baby in First - Helpful hints

Salient points from a trip on an overnight with an infant (17 months) ex-LHR on a 747:

(1) First checkin. Surly member of staff bordering on rude, with no mention of CCR being shut, there was just a printout on the checkin desk (easy to miss). If the Check in agent knows we are travelling First, is it really that hard when working at the First Check in to actually communicate this in person to a passenger checking in. Really if this is the best BA can offer for check in, I'm sorry but it is very, very poor.

(2) Enquired with the First receptionist about the Cabana booking as CCR was shut. She rang to ask, informed me CCR had just reopened, so no problem. ^

(3) South Security Fast Track. Informed Buggy would have to be folded down and toddler taken out, but then he fell asleep in the short wait, so BAA staff allowed the buggy through the metal detector and just scanned it. Have to say BAA staff were pleasant and very helpful. However, 4 people (in fast track) lost items to the tray 'wishing well', including a very laid back Caribbean gentleman who asked "Why you make this so stressful and difficult, man". How did anyone approve such a tray system

(4) CCR - Service wasn't great, but it was empty (had the terrace to ourselves for an hour, which was just pure joy). Then out of nowhere, 3 young children plus nanny appear and run riot in the CCR lounge. Lampshades knocked over, climbing all over the furniture, screaming and shouting - all while the nanny was texting My son was asleep and we had to move twice to prevent him being woken I was thinking to myself, I really hope they aren't on my flight....

(5) Quintessentially - Asked for restaurant recommendations for the holiday. Requirements were had to accept infants for lunch, draw up a list of top five. Had the list with details within two hours. The young guy on the desk was really helpful. Also when he saw our flight was delayed, offered first dibs on a Cabana if it came free as we were delayed ^

(6) Cabana - Booked through You First, was in the logbook for Quintessentially and was excellent. My son saw "In the Night Garden" on CBeebies in the room.

(7) Boarding - Waited until very last to board. The lifts (we were on a B gate) were small, cramped and did not work properly. Had to get an agent to use a key and override. Told the First pursar we were in 1A and 1K and asked if we could put the buggy in the First Wardrobe. No problem. ^

(8) 'Car Seat' - After 12 months the infant gets the car seat. At 17 months my son only just fitted the car seat (one foot touching the fuselage!). The cabin crew member who came to fit the seat said "this is only the second infant I've had in First in 15 years on BA". If it is a day flight, don't bother with the car seat if they are > 12 months, the buddy seat is better and 'strictly speaking' they have to go on your lap when the seatbelt sign is on (although this was not enforced when he was asleep in the car seat!).

(9) Definitely put the infant in 1K on the 747 and not 1A. There is a strip light in the First Galley and if the curtain on the right hand side (facing towards the front) is not flush with the dividing wall, it shines directly into the infants face. I asked the First pursar for it to be switched off and to not switch it back on, which he gladly did when I explained why ^ Then a couple of hours later (in the middle of the night) it was switched on by another cabin crew member who came to visit (who was working a different cabin on the aircraft) and woke him up . I Had to attach a scarf from the coat hook to the second window to form a blind. The spotlights that shine onto the First wardrobe can be switched off independently of the other cabin lights.

(10) No seats left! The only way to get my son asleep after being woken was to put him in my seat (1A). Thankfully he didn't make much noise when awake, I laid in 1A with him for about 30 minutes. He happily fell asleep, but the plane was full in all classes. I proceeded to work my way through the First menu in the middle of the night in a crew jump seat . I sat and slumped between 1A and 1K as this would probably cause the least disturbance. The crew were fine with that, provided the seatbelt sign didn't come on. The only difficulty was that another passenger (from 2A) bumped into me in the morning as he didn't see me on the floor (black PJ's on dark floor) and the lights had not come on in the cabin yet. He apologised, I apologised and he said he appreciated the effort I was going to in keeping the little one happy and quiet ^.

(11) Four Children in F. Aside from our little one, we had another family of five with three young children in 4EF and 5EFK. They behaved impeccably with the parents in 4E and 5F, ensuring that each child was adjacent to a parent.

(12) Arrivals - We were the last to deplane. We had the buggy plus a fair bit of hand luggage. The First Pursar helped us with our stuff, which I really appreciated. I know that isn't part of his job, but as we were at a remote stand with stairs, it was much appreciated as it saved a trip back up the steps to pick up the remaining items ^

Overall certainly not the best flight I've had in F, but was glad I was able to minimise the disruption to the other passengers. Wife slept reasonably well and my son got a fair bit of sleep. Me not so much, but a completely different BA F experience.
Old Mar 16, 2009, 7:36 pm

Programs: BA Au; IHG Pl; Hyatt Au; IC RA; Marriott Pl
Much the same experience as the last post with our 3-month-old. see my trip report
Old Mar 17, 2009, 2:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-...trip-baby.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...f-shocker.html

Originally Posted by astralclouds
Much the same experience as the last post with our 3-month-old. see my trip report

Three for the price of one?
Old Mar 17, 2009, 3:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
Originally Posted by AusEuroFlyer
Oh yes, allowing mobiles on the plane could be quite horrid. The good thing is, I think it will be expensive enough to put most people off - I hope!

Maybe they'll have a 'quiet zone' on the plane then, though - where they try and avoid all undue noises

Just as an added thought, I agree that regulations are often needed. Pity that regulations and 'bannings' are needed due to people not behaving in a reasonable/considerate manner, really.
Agree. Education was needed at some time, since absenteeism or bad memory seems to prevail, there is little but regulation left.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.