Flounge at T5 - Ordering Food

Old Dec 31, 08, 7:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: Etihad Gold
Flounge at T5 - Ordering Food

Have been sat for nearly 20 minutes just watching.

The staff have no idea what is on the menu. Someone asks for Risotto and they have to check the white board. The same two options have been available for over a month!

And the English spoken is very poor.

The girl who served me was delightful and charming, but some of the staff are really very poor.

They need to send a manager incognito...
Old Dec 31, 08, 7:38 am
Suspended

Programs: BA Gold, BMI Silver, Marriott Platinum, IHG Platinum, Hilton HHonors Silver
As a weekly regular I have tended to just take whatever hot food is on the buffet for simplicity and then just take the gamble on finding someone to ask to order a desert and hoping it does actually arrive before I leave the lounge.

I have to agree it would be better if there was someone there to actually take orders who knew what was on the menu.

PS the risotto's have been on since at least July
Old Dec 31, 08, 7:49 am
Original Poster

It is a shambles.

And then they wander round trying to find you as they didn't think of numbering the tables...

I had to move away embarassed.
Old Dec 31, 08, 8:27 am

Programs: BA
Hmmmm
Not my experience at all Xmas week.
I was asked where I would be sitting and got served asap.
Old Dec 31, 08, 8:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA LTG + GGL, SPG LTG + Platinum, HHonors Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador
Originally Posted by Earthman View Post
Not my experience at all Xmas week.
Nor mine yesterday, to be fair. In fact, they were excellent - a lady sitting near me fell ill after her arrival flight and before her next long flight. They were very helpful in looking after her, being nice, getting her things, suggesting stuff from Boots that may help and (with BA's own staff) organising a wheelchair to get her to the gate (she was OK to walk/fly, but just as an extra precaution to help her out). Very good to see given it was well beyond their official remit, I'd say.

My only complaint was asking what appeared to be the manager lady if there was any Pol Roger hiding anywhere, and she apologised and said no, only what was out was available today. Then a while later I saw two boxes being wheeled from one catering room to 'somewhere' else. I never did track it down. It certainly wasn't out for pouring. Maybe Sir Winston's ghost haunts the T5 Flounge Terrace and has to be fed Pol Roger every hour to keep it from annoying the passengers or something
Old Dec 31, 08, 8:46 am
Original Poster

Well maybe I am unlucky, as I new gold I have only been in 4 times in the last 6 weeks but the same service everytime.

If you do order food, ask the young lady, she is very good.

Also when they replace wine they do not replace the same bottle. I drained the last of the 99 Langoa Barton and came back to see it replaced with something else. The Langoa is in the glass case. If I had a corkscrew I would help myself...
Old Dec 31, 08, 8:49 am
Suspended

Programs: BA Gold, BMI Silver, Marriott Platinum, IHG Platinum, Hilton HHonors Silver
The staff are very friendly and efficient.

I agree someweeks you are served straight away but it can be a bit of a lottery catching someone if you want to order off the menu.

But hey I would sooner be in a BA Galleries anyday to a BMI offering!!
Old Dec 31, 08, 8:56 am

Programs: Lord OPebble - Mucci of the Hour. Diamond Class MUCCI.Chevalier du Circle Intime de Pucci
Originally Posted by john_r06 View Post

I agree someweeks you are served straight away but it can be a bit of a lottery catching someone if you want to order off the menu.

I must admit that I seldom see the need to "really" eat in the Flounge. If I am on LH I am going to get a reasonable meal or two on board - certainly more than enough to sustain me until we get to the destination and on SH (for most of the nearer destinations) I will have a restaurant available within 2-3 hours if I am really famished.

However I often browse the buffet or grab a sarnie to absorb the champagne.

OK my metabolism is slowing as time goes by and my major exercise is legging it up and down air bridges, so the calories have to be watched!

Last edited by OPebble; Jan 1, 09 at 8:39 am
Old Dec 31, 08, 9:19 am

Programs: BA GOLD/OWE BA Amex Prem Plus Tesco Airmiles Qantas Bronze IHG SPG Eithad
Originally Posted by john_r06 View Post

I definately agree here, BMI has JUST NOTHING to offer, just little packs of Walkers biscuits, and lousy cappacino, they need a waking up call
Old Dec 31, 08, 12:21 pm

Programs: BA Gold, QF LTG+LTQP
Originally Posted by Jimbob247 View Post
Also when they replace wine they do not replace the same bottle. I drained the last of the 99 Langoa Barton and came back to see it replaced with something else. The Langoa is in the glass case. If I had a corkscrew I would help myself...
But of course nobody should ever make it airside with a corkscrew...
Old Dec 31, 08, 2:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Platinum Ambassador
Originally Posted by BA5E View Post
just little packs of Walkers biscuits, and lousy cappacino
Sounds like the JFK Terraces Lounge
Old Dec 31, 08, 2:27 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by BA5E View Post
I definately agree here, BMI has JUST NOTHING to offer, just little packs of Walkers biscuits, and lousy cappacino, they need a waking up call
+1.

It is precisely why I (and so many others on these boards) chose to move as much of our business as we could from BMI and *A to BA and OW.

I would love the Galleries to be better - especially the wine/Champagne offerings which could at least be consistant,

Perhaps the biggest problem is that GF and CCR aren't what they ought to be for BA's top tier customers - although in my opinion Galleries Club at T5 is as good as any FF lounge and soooooo much better than anything offered by US carriers.

As usual though - YMMV.
Old Jan 1, 09, 6:32 am

Programs: BA Gold, IC Ambassador, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Fairmont Platinum
Originally Posted by G-BOAC View Post
My only complaint was asking what appeared to be the manager lady if there was any Pol Roger hiding anywhere, and she apologised and said no, only what was out was available today. Then a while later I saw two boxes being wheeled from one catering room to 'somewhere' else. I never did track it down. It certainly wasn't out for pouring. Maybe Sir Winston's ghost haunts the T5 Flounge Terrace and has to be fed Pol Roger every hour to keep it from annoying the passengers or something
Certainly reflects my experience: '99 Pol Roger out on 20/12 but gone by 23/12 and denial that there was any lurking anywhere. Has it in fact been banned/delisted for the Christmas period? I'll see if it makes a surprsing come back, when I am next in the Flounge on 9/1.
Old Jan 1, 09, 6:59 am

Programs: BA Prem, LH Blue, Thai Gold ,KLM Ivory, Priority Club Plat, HiltonH Gold, Marriott gold
Originally Posted by bmi Gold View Post
+1.

It is precisely why I (and so many others on these boards) chose to move as much of our business as we could from BMI and *A to BA and OW.

I would love the Galleries to be better - especially the wine/Champagne offerings which could at least be consistant,

Perhaps the biggest problem is that GF and CCR aren't what they ought to be for BA's top tier customers - although in my opinion Galleries Club at T5 is as good as any FF lounge and soooooo much better than anything offered by US carriers.

As usual though - YMMV.
Alcohol is alcohol *Hic
Old Jan 1, 09, 7:49 am

Programs: BA GGL, VS Gold, BD Gold, Flying Blue Platinum, IC RA, Hilton Diamond, Eurostar Carte Blanche
Originally Posted by FrancisA View Post
Certainly reflects my experience: '99 Pol Roger out on 20/12 but gone by 23/12 and denial that there was any lurking anywhere. Has it in fact been banned/delisted for the Christmas period? I'll see if it makes a surprsing come back, when I am next in the Flounge on 9/1.
There are buckets of the stuff in the Concorde Room today with at least 50 bottles lined up behind the bar but no sign of any Bollinger and surprisingly no sign of Cristal either for Thorsten and Edmund - luckily there is no sign of those two munters either

Search this Thread