Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CE breakfast - tomato sauce?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26, 2008, 4:58 pm
Original Poster

CE breakfast - tomato sauce?

Does anyone else find that Club Europe breakfast (particularly the scrambled egg) is often a little too bland without tomato sauce, yet there is no tomato sauce that accompanies it?

I have been oo embarrassed to ask a cabin crew member for a sachet of tomato sauce (do they even carry them?), particularly as I do not want to cause offence by asking for it (to me, it's a bit like an euphemism for "it's too bland and it can't be fixed with simple salt and pepper"), especially if they do not have them as part of catering.

If necessary, I'm thinking of getting some small sachets and carrying them in my 1 litre baggy..., but could those informed people on this forum inform me as to whether they do carry those on board as part of catering please?
Old Dec 26, 2008, 5:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA LTG + GGL, SPG LTP, HHonors Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador
Originally Posted by AusEuroFlyer
particularly as I do not want to cause offence by asking for it (to me, it's a bit like an euphemism for "it's too bland and it can't be fixed with simple salt and pepper")
Hate to break it to you, but the meals aren't lovingly prepared from fresh, raw ingredients with an individual and personal twist behind the curtain for every passenger, based on a recipe handed down to each crew member by their beloved great aunt and about which they've only ever had anything but praise to date! It isn't the crew member's personal cooking you're turning your nose up at!

Sadly, it is moot anyway. There used to be sachets of sauce no problem in CE...but they appear to have been 'enhanced' away. I've not seen any for a good few years now on shorthaul So I've given up asking. Longhaul they can thankfully still (mostly) rustle up sauce/mustard sachets. For now.

(Caveat: the longest relevant sectors I tend to do are Band 3 - things may be a tad better on a Band 4).
Old Dec 26, 2008, 6:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Can't remember if they had sachets of sauce in the lounges at LHR. If they do, I suggest you slip a few in your bag when nobody is looking the next time you visit.
You can then make your on board seat neighbours green/brown/red with envy when you proceed to spread the "sourced" sauce on your breakfast. ^
Old Dec 26, 2008, 9:44 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: Mucci
Originally Posted by G-BOAC
Hate to break it to you, but the meals aren't lovingly prepared from fresh, raw ingredients with an individual and personal twist behind the curtain for every passenger, based on a recipe handed down to each crew member by their beloved great aunt and about which they've only ever had anything but praise to date! It isn't the crew member's personal cooking you're turning your nose up at!
NOOOOO!!!!! Say it isn't so! There's another firmly held belief shattered. Next thing you'll be saying there is no tooth fairy.

Dave
Old Dec 27, 2008, 12:25 am

Programs: Lord OPebble - Mucci of the Hour. Diamond Class MUCCI.Chevalier du Circle Intime de Pucci
I have a similar problem with "afternoon tea" where the hot dish (allegedly Steak & mushroom pie!) is in dire need of brown sauce. I have asked - jokingly - several times and have been told "sorry we don't carry any!".

Gone the same way as salad dressing!
Old Dec 27, 2008, 12:58 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH Sen, MUCCI, Junior Jet Club.
They have plenty of sachets of HP, mustard and that weird confection the Americans call "ketchup" (why on earth you would consider putting it anywhere near breakfast is beyond me) in the lounges in the mornings, so I would suggest stocking up there beforehand.
Old Dec 27, 2008, 1:07 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by G-BOAC
LOL!! ! I know, I know, but it's um, just the way I am. I for some reason have a problem with appearing to complain about the food served, unless it's really well below the expectation (and I don't expect that much out of an airline meal - so, "lack of flavour" falls into "not bad enough to risk appearing to complain at the person serving the dish").

Sadly, it is moot anyway. There used to be sachets of sauce no problem in CE...but they appear to have been 'enhanced' away. I've not seen any for a good few years now on shorthaul So I've given up asking.
I thought as much. Thank you for confirming! Pity about the service enhancement! They're saving me from the perils of tomato sauce!

Hiddy - thanks, I might have to resort to that. I haven't seen a mini-pack of those sauces in a supermarket around here, so LHR lounge may well be the most convenient place for me to get them!
Old Dec 27, 2008, 1:27 am

Programs: QFF SG, EK, EY Silver, SQ Gold, SPG, PC Plat RA, A¦Club Platinum, Hertz 5*
What is the world coming to when people want to spread tomato sauce on their cooked brekky? Surely the only condiment worth spreading on your eggs/bacon/sausage (that have been harvested from the nearest rubber tree in accordance with Grandma's secret recipe) to give it some flavour is brown sauce, be it HP or Daddies.

Tomato sauce....sacrilege. Pure sacrilege.
Old Dec 27, 2008, 2:56 am

Programs: Lots of different coloured cards
Unfortunately no ketchup on board Eurofleet! The only condiment we do carry is mustard....Why just mustard? really havent got a clue! a bit random...but nice for Ham and Cheese toasties
Old Dec 27, 2008, 3:01 am

Programs: Tesco Blue, Library Card
They only carry mustard for some reason. I usually pick up a couple of sachets in the lounge but I'm always worried that one day they'll explode in my pocket!
Old Dec 27, 2008, 6:56 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by thadocta
NOOOOO!!!!! Say it isn't so! There's another firmly held belief shattered. Next thing you'll be saying there is no tooth fairy.

Dave
Babycakes, we have lots of fairies at British Airways and some have teeth. Some Magic Makers, me included, still have their own. We do not give out ketchup with anything. Or HP. Or Daddies.

G-BOAC is wrong as usual. We lovingly prepare each meal individually as we dream about the lovely passengers who came to see us today.

Is HIDDY correct for once? Are their sachets of above said flavour destroyer in the lounge? What is thbe place coming to? Ronald MacDonald eat your heart out.

I'm Lovin' it!

OT - but not unrelated (There is some woman in tbhis hbotel whose husband buys her three egg mcmuffins for her breakfast. This she consumes (so he tells me) with "a side of sausage" and then she eats Pop Tarts (chocolate) and prunes (I am not making this up) and Swiss Miss.

No I am not in Margate

HI reckons that she must weigh 400 lbs.

Last edited by PUCCI GALORE; Dec 27, 2008 at 7:01 am
Old Dec 27, 2008, 7:21 am
Suspended

Programs: Proud owner of 3 Mucci's (yes, 3!) the latest being Chevaliere des Bains Chauds, BA Silver (6 yrs)
Originally Posted by AusEuroFlyer
Does anyone else find that Club Europe breakfast (particularly the scrambled egg) is often a little too bland without tomato sauce, yet there is no tomato sauce that accompanies it?
NO!!! I can't believe someone thinks it's bland - it's got more salt in than the Dead Sea Perhaps a little ketchup might be nice, but it's SOOOOOOOOOOO salty I can rarely eat it! The sausage isn't too salty though.
Old Dec 27, 2008, 7:36 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
Is HIDDY correct for once?
Of course I am, and not for the first time either.

I'm with the OP on this one. How can they serve a "fried" breakfast and not carry sauces on board in CE?

I like a touch of HP .....rather spicy, like myself.

My next flight is with that Australian outfit.......No chance of getting HP with them. No doubt they'll serve me with that brown stuff that resembles something the roadlayers use. Ghastly stuff.
Old Dec 27, 2008, 7:38 am

Programs: QFF SG, EK, EY Silver, SQ Gold, SPG, PC Plat RA, A¦Club Platinum, Hertz 5*
....G-BOAC is wrong as usual. We lovingly prepare each meal individually as we dream about the lovely passengers who came to see us today.
Pucci dearest, this I would truly love to see. Unfortunately it is over a year since I last flew BA, and I distinctly recall a lack of floury aprons in the flights that I did take with BA. As I now reside on the other side of the world where the finest traditions of Delia Smith are unheard of, and Fanny Craddock appears to be some local venereal disease, I have to make do with the tender mercies of the "flying kangaroo". Not only are there a distinct lack of floury aprons amongst the flight crew, but generally the cuisine is of a standard where tomato ketchup is not a flavour destroyer, but a flavour adder. HP or Daddies is something you can only dream about.
Let's face it the national dish here is the meat pie - not beef, or pork, or lamb you'll note, but meat. Genus unspecified, and unidentifiable. But it is compulsory to serve it with tomato sauce.

...This she consumes (so he tells me) with "a side of sausage".....
This would be the same sort of measure as a side of pork? The kind of thing you would see an abbatoir worker struggling to carry on his shoulder?
No wonder she weighs 400 pounds!
Old Dec 27, 2008, 7:43 am

Originally Posted by HIDDY
....My next flight is with that Australian outfit.......No chance of getting HP with them. No doubt they'll serve me with that brown stuff that resembles something the roadlayers use. Ghastly stuff.
The locals do get upset when I describe the only use for Vegemite to be for packing into the CV joint of a 1973 Morris Marina. It gives a lovely yeasty smell when you drive too!

Definitely no HP available though. I have to put up with them almost on a weeekly basis and not once have I been offered HP. They just don't cater for multinational tastes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.