FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Which UD seats are classed as Exit Seats? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/903190-ud-seats-classed-exit-seats.html)

PETER01 Dec 26, 2008 9:32 am

Which UD seats are classed as Exit Seats?

First of all Merry Christmas to everyone and in my first year of joining I have spent countless days reading the forums, sometimes with a big grin at some of the more cheeky :D(to be polite) FT's here.

Anyway to the point I was hoping one (or two !) of the regular FT's/Staff can help me with the following. I have searched including the web but can't find the answer.:confused:

I have booked CW seats in ther recent half price sale for Vancouver next July. What UD seats are classed as Exit seats as I will be travelling with my wife and son (12) ?

Are seats 62A/K exit seats are as they face rearwards and what about 62B/J ?

Thanks in advance for replies.

Pete

G-BOAC Dec 26, 2008 9:50 am

62AK and 63BJ.

Can I help you Dec 26, 2008 9:59 am

Pete an exit row is defined as a passenger seat row immediately adjacent to a door or exit, so on the U/D its 62ABJK and 63ABJK. However as your son is 12 years old he is not restricted to these seats.
CIHY

G-BOAC Dec 26, 2008 10:03 am

That's interesting. I thought it was just 62AK and 63BJ which came up with the exit row tick box in MMB. I must check that later. Thanks.

Can I help you Dec 26, 2008 10:11 am

You maybe right but that is the definition in our manuals.

PETER01 Dec 26, 2008 11:28 am

Originally Posted by Can I help you (Post 10966050)
Pete an exit row is defined as a passenger seat row immediately adjacent to a door or exit, so on the U/D its 62ABJK and 63ABJK. However as your son is 12 years old he is not restricted to these seats.
CIHY

As he is under 16 can he have seat 62 B/J (forwards) or 63 A/K which are backwards.

Thanks again.

Pete

Can I help you Dec 26, 2008 11:33 am

There is no restriction on any seat, he is now an adult :(

PETER01 Dec 26, 2008 11:42 am

Originally Posted by Can I help you (Post 10966394)
There is no restriction on any seat, he is now an adult :(

I thought you had to be between 16-65 to be classed as an adult for exit seats?

Pete

Can I help you Dec 26, 2008 11:51 am

Age limit is 12 and above, there is no upper limit. However it does say nobody elderly or frail, this would be down to the ground/cabin staff to decide.
CIHY

PETER01 Dec 26, 2008 11:58 am

CIHY - Thank you very much for your help re this. ^

People like you on this forum (and you too G-BOAC, thanks for replying !) are a mine of information which is appreciated by the many. Keep up the good work and I am sure more queries are awaiting for you in 2009.

Pete

sunrisegirl Dec 26, 2008 2:02 pm

Originally Posted by Can I help you (Post 10966463)
Age limit is 12 and above, there is no upper limit. However it does say nobody elderly or frail, this would be down to the ground/cabin staff to decide.
CIHY

:confused:

Hi CIHY - as ground staff we're told that nobody under the age of 16 is allowed to sit in an exit row. We have to move them if under that age (ditto those not able bodied and any non-English speakers), but it's a very strict rule on check in. Elderly can sit there provided they're able bodied.

This would affect PETER01 when the agent on bag drop or at the gate saw the passport and age.

Can I help you Dec 26, 2008 2:13 pm

Hi sunrisegirl :o not sure who is correct then.
I am quoting from JPM Joint Procedures Manual which is the bible that flight and cabin crew use. Here are the categories of passenger who must not be allocated seats adjacent to self help exits or emergency exit rows.
a. Handicapped persons (including deaf or blind)
b. Persons who are elderly or frail.
c. Children and infants (whether accompanied or not.) A child is defined as being under the age of 12years.
d. Deportees or prisoners in custody.
e. Obese passengers.
f. Passengers travelling with a dog.
g. Anyone who could cause an obstruction.
CIHY

sunrisegirl Dec 26, 2008 2:28 pm

Originally Posted by Can I help you (Post 10966912)
Hi sunrisegirl :o not sure who is correct then.
CIHY

No neither am I - how embarrasing :o

Our check in manuals are equally clear; the following persons may not be seated in an exit row
a) Any child under the age of 16
b) Any passenger who cannot fully understand instructions given in English
c) Any person who is not fully able bodied.

We are not told about the elderly, though frail would come under able bodied. Nor are we told about the obese, or anyone causing an obstruction. Deportees/prisoners are not officially mentioned but we're all told this in training. Dogs don't come into it as only guide dogs are allowed in the cabin and, again, a blind or deaf person would come under the able bodied bit.

We get a pop up page reminding us of this every time we assign an exit row. :confused:

I've just checked on ba.com with a booking I have and picked 62K - the following message comes up:

You have chosen a seat in an emergency exit row
In the unlikely event of an evacuation you will be expected to assist in the opening of the emergency door. For this reason you must be an able-bodied adult (16 years and over) in full fitness and able to understand instructions given in English.

I declare that I am an able-bodied adult (16 years and over) in full fitness, able to understand instructions given in English and accept the responsibility attached to sitting in an emergency exit row. (tick box requiring consent)

We reserve the right to move you to a more suitable seat if we believe it is necessary.

So it would appear that 16 is the age, though I can certainly understand why you'd think not. :)

Can I help you Dec 26, 2008 2:33 pm

I will follow this up with the relevant departments, sorry Pete for the mis-information.
CIHY

elitetraveler Dec 26, 2008 2:36 pm

Flying with my three children, one of whom is 13 on the UD this summer, we had two exit row seats and two non exit rows, and the crew did not comment on having the 13 year old in the exit row during the flight, although she did not sit there for landing or takeoff.