Delayed Baggage

Old Dec 23, 08, 2:28 am
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Spire Elite Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Marriot Gold, Mucci des Salons Ouvrants
Delayed Baggage

I know, I know, I am sure there are hundreds of threads on this but I just wanted some advise from seasoned BA travellers (and maybe some insiders).

I flew back home from LAS to GLA on 20/21 Dec. My flight from JFK was delayed 6 hours so I missed my planned connection to GLA. I made it on to a later one (2 hours later so not a rush) but my bags did not. No issue (so I thought). Plenty of flights to GLA so I will get them later/next day.

Well here I am 2 days later and they have still not left Heathrow as there is no space on any aircraft - I just phoned the lost baggage folk and they are not scheduled on any aircraft either!! Now I find this unacceptable considering they HAD space on the flight I was on - BA took my money for a Club ticket so I had the opportunity for 3 bags but took only 2 and now they cant get them back to me as it is a busy time of year - apparently!!!

Any ideas on what I could do to get them to me before Christmas? I know I can get toiletries and clothes etc on BA - and in fact on my BA Amex but I really do want my stuff.

I think what infuriates me the most is that my bag is not lost - I could understand the delay if they did not know where they are but this is ridiculous. They know where they are - there know where I am - why can they not get them on one of the many flights to GLA (or EDI) and then to me - I would even go to the damn airport to pick it up if necessary.

Anyway - rant over - this is ruining a great BA trip to be honest and I am not getting anywhere with BA. I have had people hasten, send messages and the rest but no one seems prepared to put my bags on a plane at Heathrow.

Any suggestions to speed things up gratefully recieved

Regards AKS120
Old Dec 23, 08, 2:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA LTG + GGL, SPG LTG + Platinum, HHonors Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador
I have no suggestions except...

Originally Posted by aks120 View Post
I know I can get toiletries and clothes etc on BA - and in fact on my BA Amex but I really do want my stuff.
Be very careful there - IIRC AmEx does not cover luggage delays on your trip home.
Old Dec 23, 08, 3:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IC RA, Kimpton Inner Circle, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by G-BOAC View Post

Be very careful there - IIRC AmEx does not cover luggage delays on your trip home.
Looking at the OP's stated location it appears he is resident in the US and returning to the UK for the Xmas break. If this is correct then he would be covered since Amex extent cover to any location except the one in which you "ordinarily reside" or some such wording. This seems to be independant of where the Amex card is issued.
Old Dec 23, 08, 3:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Spire Elite Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Marriot Gold, Mucci des Salons Ouvrants
I have no suggestions except...

Actually I have spoken to them about this - because I am on a trip which started in LAS and will be returning to LAS they will cover me. I actually live in LAS but keep my UK issues card and BAEC at my UK address. Well at least I have a case number....!!! We shall see
Old Dec 23, 08, 3:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA LTG + GGL, SPG LTG + Platinum, HHonors Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador
Originally Posted by Land-of-Miles View Post
Looking at the OP's stated location it appears he is resident in the US and returning to the UK for the Xmas break. If this is correct then he would be covered since Amex extent cover to any location except the one in which you "ordinarily reside" or some such wording. This seems to be independant of where the Amex card is issued.
I saw that too and was going to edit my post after I made it...but then I remembered that to have a BA AmEx you have to be a UK resident (woe are the Eurocheats, etc. ) so surely as far as the BA AmEx card policy is concerned, any trip to the UK must by definition be the trip home?

Edit: OK I see aks120 has posted again in the meantime. Surprising to hear that from AmEx, but good news for you
Old Dec 23, 08, 3:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IC RA, Kimpton Inner Circle, Amex Plat
I saw that too and was going to edit my post after I made it...but then I remembered that to have a BA AmEx you have to be a UK resident (woe are the Eurocheats, etc. ) so surely as far as the BA AmEx card policy is concerned, any trip to the UK must by definition be the trip home?

Edit: OK I see aks120 has posted again in the meantime. Surprising to hear that from AmEx, but good news for you
I think that all Amex really care about is that your BAEC location and your address are in the same location. I don't think that they care practically if you have multiple addresses and live in say your Spanish home more than your UK home.

The acid test of "home" location would normally tend to be trip origination and destination. If so this could be good news for ex-EU flyers (if there are any left now).
Old Dec 23, 08, 6:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC/IB
They know where they are - there know where I am - why can they not get them on one of the many flights to GLA (or EDI) and then to me - I would even go to the damn airport to pick it up if necessary.
I wonder if they really do know where they are. I have found in the past that not to be the case. I was told my bag was in LHR when in actual fact it was in MAD. On another occasion I was told my bag was in LHR when it was sitting at GLA waiting to be delivered by the courier company.

If you are not far from GLA I would pop down and talk to a person from Aviance rather than speak to someone over the phone. Your bags may be there.
Old Dec 23, 08, 6:47 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by HIDDY View Post
I wonder if they really do know where they are. I have found in the past that not to be the case. I was told my bag was in LHR when in actual fact it was in MAD. On another occasion I was told my bag was in LHR when it was sitting at GLA waiting to be delivered by the courier company.

If you are not far from GLA I would pop down and talk to a person from Aviance rather than speak to someone over the phone. Your bags may be there.
Hiddy - Unfortunatley it is an hours drive to GLA but I still may do that if I need to in a couple of days!

I have spoken to BA again, they now know my bags were last seen at Heathrow at 1321 on 21 Dec but not sure what has happened to them since! I am off to buy some new clothes though.

What I will say is that the girl I just spoke to and the customer services chap (I wont post names) calmed me down no end - I really do commend their attitude and understanding. I know it is not their fault but unfortunately one does get heated - especially at this time of year with no pressies to give out Big thumbs up to them both - if/when this all ends I will be sending a letter to say the same.

Fingers still crossed that I will see my bags before the champagne opens on the 25th!

AKS120
Old Dec 23, 08, 7:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC/IB
Fingers still crossed that I will see my bags before the champagne opens on the 25th!
The courier company at GLA are not as quick at delivering as they used to be when BA had their own ground staff based at GLA. As you seem to be a fair distance away from the airport they may be holding your bags till they have other bags to deliver in your area.....I have also experienced that in the past.

Here's hoping you get them soon.
Old Dec 28, 08, 6:32 am
Original Poster

Found Baggage!!!

Well just wanted to update you all - finally got both my bags back yesterday - whoohoo.

Bad news is that one of them looked like it had been dropped from a great height onto a corner as I now have a big dent in the bottom of it - typical.

One point though - throughout all my phones calls I was told that the website was the most up to date thing and that as soon as word was found on the bags location that would be the first place to be updated. What utter rubbish - the site still says one bag is being traced and the other has been located. 12 hours after I got both bags back!

Anyway nightmare over - now just have to take them both as hand luggage on the way home - I am sure no one will mind

Regards
AKS120
Old Dec 28, 08, 7:25 am
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM), France and TravelBuzz!

Location: Paris, France, AF F+ Rouge pour toujours, Flying Blue whatever, LH FTL, HHonors Gold, formerly proud SCC Executive, now IC Ambassador, BA down to nobody, Grand Voyageur Le Club
One point though - throughout all my phones calls I was told that the website was the most up to date thing and that as soon as word was found on the bags location that would be the first place to be updated. What utter rubbish - the site still says one bag is being traced and the other has been located. 12 hours after I got both bags back!
Typical in this type of situation with BA, in my personal experience.
Old Dec 28, 08, 7:30 am
Suspended

I have only ever had really good results off BA. I have had a real nightmare with KLM who managed to loose luggage 5 times out of 8 when transitting through AMS. I even had one case with BA where they organised a new suitcase the same day for me from Antler.

Search this Thread