Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Brandy/cocgnac after the meal in CW, on request only?

Old Dec 22, 08, 5:55 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

On my last trip in CW I noticed that they seem to be cutting back on alcohol.
When they served the preboarding drink, they didn't offer a refill although we were on the ground for another hour before take-off.
When serving the lunch, they offered one refill of wine (the glasses are tiny).
They did not ask if I wanted a glass of port/brandy/cognac with the cofee and dessert. When asking they said "sure" and gave me my brandy, no refill offered.
I have not been flying BA for almost two years, but I recall that the service was much better then.
I am used to flying Swiss and they always make sure that your glass is never empty and always ask if you want anything with your coffee etc.
Is this common with BA, or was I just unlucky?
Old Dec 22, 08, 6:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IC RA, Kimpton Inner Circle, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by TinaC View Post
When they served the preboarding drink, they didn't offer a refill although we were on the ground for another hour before take-off.
When serving the lunch, they offered one refill of wine (the glasses are tiny).
They did not ask if I wanted a glass of port/brandy/cognac with the cofee and dessert. When asking they said "sure" and gave me my brandy, no refill offered.
I have not been flying BA for almost two years, but I recall that the service was much better then.
I am used to flying Swiss and they always make sure that your glass is never empty and always ask if you want anything with your coffee etc.
Is this common with BA, or was I just unlucky?
I haven't flown much with BA in J recently but I suspect like in other cabins it very much depends upon the crew on the day. I have had similar issues to you when travelling in F, on other occasions I have had perfect service with a glass which never emptied for a whole flight.

My own approach these days is to use the call bell, when service isn't what it might be. I know that may seem a little rude but if the crew on the day are not so proactive in offering service then the consequence must be that I need to be proactive in requesting service.
Old Dec 22, 08, 6:30 pm

Programs: BA Exec
Hi Tina

Sorry to hear you didn't get refills ... refills during the meal service should be automatic. If I were to be totally honest, I would have to agree with Land of Miles ... some crew are not always very proactive or just seem to forget that passengers too, like more than just 1 glass ....

One of the current problems that can also lead to varying levels of service quality in Club is that working positions on the aircraft are determined in order of crew seniority. This can lead to situations where either very Junior crew end up working in Club, or crew that don't normally work there/don't like working in Club, have to do so.

Because the Club service is more elaborate than in WT, and because in some cases, as many as 70 Club pax may be onboard, Junior crew with little experience tend to become overwhelmed and start tripping up/forgetting things. In order to complete the service in a reasonable amount of time and ensure no customer waits too long to finish their meal, all crew need to be on the ball, organised and on top of things because it can get very hectic on a full flight; quite frankly, that doesn't always happen. New Premium service training should eliminate these problems (only crew that wish to work in premium cabins will be given the training, so those that don't like it stay in Y). If my Line Manager sees this and finds out who is writing, she will kill me ....

Regarding cognac with tea/coffee ... strictly speaking it's not part of the service standard (that is the "official" order of service outlined in a little booklet that some crew carry). Tea/coffee and port should be offered with dessert/cheese and biscuits. Officially, that's it. This is why you weren't automatically offered any Cognac or Tia Maria/Baileys.

However, the crew should always be happy to accommodate a simple request. It's just a matter of going back to the galley and getting it for you.

I don't know why it is not in the service standard for Club ... I would guess its because most passengers don't ask for it. If that changed, and this was communicated to the Product department, then they would certainly look into changing the way in which we serve you.

Last edited by Bar Operator; Dec 22, 08 at 6:43 pm
Old Dec 22, 08, 6:32 pm

To be perfectly honest - although I have generally done only a couple of round trip CW returns a year, this past five years - I haven't found crew particularly regular at topping up drinks... I also find that I generally have to ask for a Port, with my dessert/cheese, rather than get offered it.

It doesn't particularly worry me - because it probably ensures that I drink less (no bad thing) - although I wouldn't mind if the water was topped up more often...

My impression, correctly or incorrectly, is that CW crew tend to be fairly busy (with various bits of the service) and don't have a lot of spare time to go up and down the aisle offering top ups. A bit of a shame, but I survive

Boo
Old Dec 22, 08, 7:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC/IB
Must say although I'm not a big drinker myself, that BA compared to other airlines I could mention are pretty good at filling your glass. I was offered port on my last trip and declined a top up of the wines. I thought the wine glasses were of an okay size.

You can always ask if they have passed you by, they won't refuse you unless you're sozzled.
Old Dec 22, 08, 11:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
Am sure someone will be able to correct me if i'm wrong here, but I believe on BA this is SOP. Something to do with bar stock having to be duty paid for consumption on the ground.

Probably a far better reason than the CCR to fly ex-LHR in F rather than J is the fact the interminable ground delay will at least see you plied with booze. Think I had the best part of a bottle of Bolly whilst waiting for our YVR flight to push back in the summer
Old Dec 23, 08, 1:51 am

Programs: Lord OPebble - Mucci of the Hour. Diamond Class MUCCI.Chevalier du Circle Intime de Pucci
Originally Posted by Swiss Tony View Post
Am sure someone will be able to correct me if i'm wrong here, but I believe on BA this is SOP. Something to do with bar stock having to be duty paid for consumption on the ground.
I think you are right. They can probably get away with having one bottle of bubbly in F which is duty paid, but would need a lot more bottles of different booze in CW. (Well perhaps more than one bottle of bubbly!)
Old Dec 23, 08, 2:13 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Mucci Champion des Champions, BAG4L, *A Gold, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz Gold, Avis President
It's definitely dependent on the crew. Flew CW to LAX on the UD recently and had a brilliant crew. They inisisted that I have brandy with my coffee and port with my cheese - it would have been rude to say No!
Old Dec 23, 08, 2:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA LTG + GGL, SPG LTG + Platinum, HHonors Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador
Originally Posted by OPebble View Post
They can probably get away with having one bottle of bubbly in F which is duty paid
Yeah right

FWIW I've never had an issue with asking for a second glass in CW on the ground if I've wanted one - though it is offered proactively less often than F top-ups I find. Why are people afraid to ask for things at an appropriate time though?

For after dinner drinks I normally find I'm asked "Is there anything else I can get you, sir/Mr X?" as they clear the tray - which is the chance to ask for a brandy or whatever you fancy. That seems fine to me rather than the crew churning out a list of what's in the bar to every one of 70 pax as they clear away! As noted above though, every flight has the variable crew factor. I do sometimes wonder if I'm just very lucky though - invariably I have excellent crews on BA which you'd never guess was 'the norm' from reading this forum sometimes!

I really hope the Premium Crew works out well - it is a great idea IMHO
Old Dec 23, 08, 2:58 am

Programs: BAEC Silver; Muccis du Monde des Peluches
the glasses are tiny

You do seem to be very unlucky when you travel CW, as this isn't the first time you've posted about bad experiences that few others have had. I hope I'm never on the same flight as you, as they seem to be jinxed.

The CW wine glasses that I've always had have been a perfectly reasonable size. It's true they are not the enormous glasses in which fine wines are often served, but that size is to enable to bouquet to collect in the top of the glasss, not to contain more wine. The CW glasses, when filled to the normal level (about 2/3 full) must be comfortably over 150ml.

I found rather the opposite problem on my flight yesterday, with the crew repeatedly ignoring my requests for a "small" glass of this or that, bringing me quite a bit more than I wanted to drink, a full glass of port being especially preposterous.
Old Dec 23, 08, 3:39 am

Programs: BA Silver, HH Silver.
I asked for a glass of brandy last month in CW and received a champagne flute with a thimble full of brandy painting the bottomAs has been said before its down to the crew.The other thing I noticed is on the drinks runs,nothing is mixed anymore, just given a spirit miniature and a can of mixer.
Old Dec 23, 08, 3:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Is it me or are we beginning to see some sort of pattern forming.
CIHY
Old Dec 23, 08, 3:45 am

Originally Posted by LeisureFirst View Post
I found rather the opposite problem on my flight yesterday, with the crew repeatedly ignoring my requests for a "small" glass of this or that, bringing me quite a bit more than I wanted to drink, a full glass of port being especially preposterous.
I think that a full (not too small) wine glass is the standard measure of Port on BA CW...

Boo
Old Dec 23, 08, 3:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
I agree the measure you have been given is a full miniature of brandy which I know doesn't look much.
CIHY
Old Dec 23, 08, 4:02 am

Originally Posted by Can I help you View Post
I agree the measure you have been given is a full miniature of brandy which I know doesn't look much.
CIHY
We were at a restaurant last night - company Xmas do - and a couple of colleagues ordered Brandy/Whisky... they also thought that the measure was a bit on the tight side. They said "wow, we must be drinking triples at home!". I think that a standard measure of spirits DOES look small: maybe better to ask for a double? Or a Port

Boo

Search this Thread