Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Help! Seperate BA PNRs for connecting flight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2008, 8:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold

I am scheduled to fly to London tomorrow on BA in CW with a connecting ET flight onto Munich on Saturday afternoon. The LHR-MUC flight is on a seperate PNR because it was booked after the JFK-LHR return.

Unfortunately it looks like there may be significant weather related delays tomorrow due to a snow storm that is about to hit the area. What's my best way of ensuring I get to my final destination and minimal extra cost. Is there anyway to combine the PNRs or will BA cut me some slack because both flights are BA?
Old Dec 18, 2008, 9:47 am

Programs: Lord OPebble - Mucci of the Hour. Diamond Class MUCCI.Chevalier du Circle Intime de Pucci
Ring BA and ask them to combine.
Old Dec 18, 2008, 10:01 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by OPebble
Will they do that? What number should I call?
Old Dec 18, 2008, 10:12 am

Programs: BA silver, VS, Jet, Carlson gold, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by OPebble
I'm pretty certain BA won't do that.

Why would they take on the additional liability for the connection when it wasn't booked as a through flight?
Old Dec 18, 2008, 10:28 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by abfab

Why would they take on the additional liability for the connection when it wasn't booked as a through flight?
They are both BA flights.
Old Dec 18, 2008, 10:33 am

Originally Posted by ADGrant
They are both BA flights.
Yes, but you've booked them as two point to point tickets. BA's responsibility and liability on the first ticket is to get you from A to B. As long as they do that, job done - there's nothing that says they have to get you there in time for your B to C flight. The fact that you're going from B to C with BA later that day isn't a concern with regard to BA's liability/responsibility to get you from A to B.

If you'd booked to travel from A to C, via B, different story. In this scenario, BA is contracted to get you to C, and bears the cost of changing your flights etc in the event that A to B runs late. That's why the A to C ticket costs more normally.

Is there any flexibility in your LHR - MUC ticket? And how long did you allow between the flights?
Old Dec 18, 2008, 10:35 am
Original Poster

I just spoke to someone at BA who said that seperately booked PNRs cannot be combined. She did claim that BA would change the connecting flight if the first flight was delayed by weather. Does that sound plausible.
Old Dec 18, 2008, 10:36 am

Programs: AA EXP 2 MM
Originally Posted by abfab

On the other hand, do we have any documented cases of BA not accepting responsibility, particularly in situations where a bag is checked through and you have boarding passes? My impression is that if you miss a connection because of a delayed flight, it is quite easy to get transferred onto a later flight, even on separate tickets.

What may be more tricky is a cancelled or sufficiently delayed first segment which meant that you could not get a boarding pass for the second segment. I don't suppose that reservations would help, but it may be possible to get transferred onto a later flight when checking in for the first flight?
Old Dec 18, 2008, 10:39 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Shuttle-Bored
Yes, but you've booked them as two point to point tickets. BA's responsibility and liability on the first ticket is to get you from A to B. As long as they do that, job done - there's nothing that says they have to get you there in time for your B to C flight. The fact that you're going from B to C with BA later that day isn't a concern with regard to BA's liability/responsibility to get you from A to B.

If you'd booked to travel from A to C, via B, different story. In this scenario, BA is contracted to get you to C, and bears the cost of changing your flights etc in the event that A to B runs late. That's why the A to C ticket costs more normally.

Is there any flexibility in your LHR - MUC ticket? And how long did you allow between the flights?
I don't think there is much flexibility in the ticket. I allowed about 3 1/2 hours for the connection.
Old Dec 18, 2008, 10:46 am

Which is normally fairly reasonable. Do you have any flexibility in your schedule on leaving earlier? Might be worth getting to JFK and explaining your case?

Looks like loads are reasonably tight on the later flights, but open on the earlier ones. I've checked in at JFK before and been told my flight is running late due to weather, but they've already moved me to another flight with less of a delay.

BA172 F1 A1 J0 C0 D0 R0 I0 W3 E2 T2 Y1 B0 H0 K0 M0 L0 V0 S0 N0 Q0 O0 G0
BA112 F2 A2 J9 C0 D0 R0 I0 W5 E4 T1 Y3 B3 H3 K3 M3 L0 V0 S0 N0 Q0 O0 G0
BA174 F6 A6 J7 C2 D1 R0 I0 W5 E0 T0 Y9 B9 H9 K9 M9 L9 V9 S6 N0 Q0 O6 G2
BA176 F3 A3 J6 C3 D2 R0 I0 W4 E4 T3 Y8 B6 H6 K8 M8 L8 V8 S0 N0 Q0 O0 G0
BA114 F4 A4 J2 C2 D2 R2 I2 W5 E3 T2 Y7 B7 H6 K3 M3 L3 V2 S0 N2 Q0 O0 G0
BA182 F0 A0 J1 C1 D0 R0 I0 W0 E0 T0 Y5 B4 H3 K0 M0 L0 V0 S0 N0 Q0 O0 G0
Old Dec 18, 2008, 10:47 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nbevan
What may be more tricky is a cancelled or sufficiently delayed first segment which meant that you could not get a boarding pass for the second segment. I don't suppose that reservations would help, but it may be possible to get transferred onto a later flight when checking in for the first flight?
I can get the boarding pass for the second flight by checking in online before I check my bags. I can (and will) check the bags though to my final destination.

If the flight is delayed when I check in, I guess I can try to get transferred to another connecting flight. I can see why they wouldn't want to transfer me to another airline but would they be difficult about transferring my second booking to another BA flight?
Old Dec 18, 2008, 10:49 am

but would they be difficult about transferring my second booking to another BA flight?
Availability may be your issue - Saturday to MUC shows:

BA948 J5 C0 D0 R0 I1 Y1 B0 H0 K0 M0 L0 V0 N0 Q0 O0 S0 G0
BA950 J2 C2 D1 R0 I0 Y3 B1 H1 K0 M0 L0 V0 N0 Q0 O0 S0 G0
BA954 J4 C4 D0 R0 I4 Y2 B1 H0 K0 M0 L0 V0 N0 Q0 O0 S1 G0
BA956 J6 C0 D0 R0 I4 Y3 B0 H0 K0 M0 L0 V0 N0 Q0 O0 S2 G0
Not many seats left in Y....
Old Dec 18, 2008, 10:57 am
Original Poster

Which is normally fairly reasonable. Do you have any flexibility in your schedule on leaving earlier? Might be worth getting to JFK and explaining your case?

Looks like loads are reasonably tight on the later flights, but open on the earlier ones. I've checked in at JFK before and been told my flight is running late due to weather, but they've already moved me to another flight with less of a delay.
My schedule is now completely flexible. My JFK to LHR leg was booked in CW on 182. I would change my booking now but the change fees are huge. Is there anyone I could call about pre-emptively changing the outbound without incurring the huge fees?
Old Dec 18, 2008, 11:03 am
Original Poster

Not many seats left in Y....
I am booked on 0954 which means the only available flight is BA956 which has 3 seats in Y. How does Sunday look? The other option would be to upgrade to J on that leg.
Old Dec 18, 2008, 11:21 am

Programs: BA silver, VS, Jet, Carlson gold, Amex Plat
My schedule is now completely flexible. My JFK to LHR leg was booked in CW on 182. I would change my booking now but the change fees are huge. Is there anyone I could call about pre-emptively changing the outbound without incurring the huge fees?
I wouldn't think so.

Why would BA wave the change fees? (especially as you don't even know if your flight is actually going to be delayed)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.