Is my baggage on the flight?

Old Dec 16, 2008, 10:31 am
Original Poster

Is my baggage on the flight?

I just got bumped from a flight from LHR-ORD. I checked in, checked my bags, etc, but later found out that I had to take a later flight (tomorrow unfortunately).

Is there a way I can see if my bags are on the flight?
If they are, should I be able to have a friend in Chicago pick them up for me?

Thanks
Old Dec 16, 2008, 10:34 am

Programs: Lord OPebble - Mucci of the Hour. Diamond Class MUCCI.Chevalier du Circle Intime de Pucci
Originally Posted by jobevers
I just got bumped from a flight from LHR-ORD. I checked in, checked my bags, etc, but later found out that I had to take a later flight (tomorrow unfortunately).

Is there a way I can see if my bags are on the flight?
If they are, should I be able to have a friend in Chicago pick them up for me?

Thanks
Try asking at your airline's enquiry desk. They will be able to look up your baggage status from the baggage check you got at check in.

Unlikely that your friend will be able to get into the Baggage Hall. It is in a secure area on the airside of Customs.
Old Dec 16, 2008, 10:35 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

No, you'll need to get your bag from LHR today.

Go to the Customer Services and they should be able to tell you where your bag is.

Cheers,
Rick
Old Dec 16, 2008, 11:00 am

Programs: BA silver, VS, Jet, Carlson gold, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by jobevers
Out of interest, why did you get bumped? (or did you mean you offloaded yourself)?
Old Dec 16, 2008, 11:06 am

If you don't travel your bags won't be on the aircraft. It's a basic security procedure.
Old Dec 16, 2008, 11:12 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by abfab
Out of interest, why did you get bumped? (or did you mean you offloaded yourself)?
I wasn't even given the chance to offload myself. Its actually a bit frustrating, as I don't understand all of this.

I was supposed to be on BA 297. I checked in online last night, checked my bags around 3:20. I had a friend who helped me get bags and stuff to the airport so I lingered a bit to say bye to him. Probably around 3:45 I was stopped at security and told that I couldn't get on my flight. Which, I feel is ridiculous, as my flight was scheduled to leave at 4:25, and it didn't actually depart until 4:34.

So, in short - I don't know why I got bumped.
Old Dec 16, 2008, 11:12 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Panic Stations
If you don't travel your bags won't be on the aircraft. It's a basic security procedure.
Ah. Thanks.
Old Dec 16, 2008, 11:17 am

Sounds like you might have failed to meet 'conformance'. If you are not through security by 35 mins before departure you will automatically be offloaded from the flight. Ironically the ten minute delay to the flight was probably because they were offloading your bags.
Old Dec 16, 2008, 11:22 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Panic Stations
Sounds like you might have failed to meet 'conformance'. If you are not through security by 35 mins before departure you will automatically be offloaded from the flight. Ironically the ten minute delay to the flight was probably because they were offloading your bags.
Is there information about this online anywhere? (A quick search of conformance on ba's site didn't have any results)
Old Dec 16, 2008, 11:26 am

There's a fair few posts on here about it, but the official line is here:

Originally Posted by BA
Please note - if you are travelling from London Heathrow Terminal 5 you must pass through check-in and security at least 35 minutes before your flight departs.
Old Dec 16, 2008, 11:28 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

On the BA site it tells you.

Check-in closes 45 minutes before departure.

Security Area

After you have checked in, go immediately through Security to the departure area. Allow enough time to complete security search and passport checks, and to get to your gate before it closes.
Did you linger after you checked-in?
Old Dec 16, 2008, 12:39 pm

When you miss conformance your bag will stay in the system until someone tells it what to do with the bag.

When you check in tomorrow click on "bags already checked in" on the Check in kiosk. If you check in online then select the number of nags already checked in when you are asked. Then take you baggage receipt to a Fast bag drop or Assistance desk where they will add the tag number to your check in record. This will start a process for you bag to be taken out of the storage system and on to the new flight.

If you prefer you can PM me your tag number and I can ensure that it gets on the same flight that you do.

Of course this is all irrelevant if you have already claimed you bags back.
Old Dec 16, 2008, 2:02 pm

Programs: Lord OPebble - Mucci of the Hour. Diamond Class MUCCI.Chevalier du Circle Intime de Pucci
Originally Posted by HIDDY
On the BA site it tells you.

Did you linger after you checked-in?
OP Says so in post #6!
Old Dec 16, 2008, 2:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by OPebble
OP Says so in post #6!
Ah yes. ^

I see he "lingered" too long after check-in, so no complaints then.
Old Dec 16, 2008, 2:57 pm
Suspended

Programs: Proud owner of 3 Mucci's (yes, 3!) the latest being Chevaliere des Bains Chauds, BA Silver (6 yrs)
Originally Posted by xxxxx
If you check in online then select the number of nags already checked in when you are asked.
So horses check in online these days do they Sorry couldn't resist it!

I hope everything works out fine for you tomorrow jobevers, but do be sure to go straight through security this time. As the others have pointed out, failure to do this in time is no doubt what prevented you from flying today. And please look out on the departure boards for when your flight starts boarding as there are no boarding announcements at T5.

(By the way, arriving at 3.20 for a flight that departs at 4.25 is leaving it rather tight - you should be at the airport, ideally, 2-3 hours prior to departure)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.