Transfer times at T5

Old Dec 15, 08, 11:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Transfer times at T5

Am booked (in F) YYZ-LHR-NCE. At booking time, the YYZ-LHR leg arrived at T5, and the LHR-NCE leg departed out of T3.

Apparently BA is brining all the flights they can to T5, and I was notified that my NCE flight is now leaving out of T5 about 5 hours later than the original schedule.

I see there is another flight LHR-NCE which is scheduled to depart 1:05 later than the YYZ flight arrives, but I was not offered that option.

1. Even though we are just transiting the UK, will we have to go through passport control/immigration.etc. anyhow?

2. What is the Minimum Connect Time at T5? Is this why I was not offered the earlier flight?

OTOH, we will have several hours to enjoy the lounge, but I'd still like to get to Nice before dark.
Old Dec 15, 08, 11:39 am

Programs: BA Gold; Miles & More
Dear BigLar,

as far as I'm aware, min connection time in T5 is 60 mins. You will not need to go through passport control/immigration BUT you will need to pass through flight connections 35 mins before your onward connection leaves.

Based on my experience 1:05 is cutting is (very) tight. If your longhaul arrives into T5B and the flight to NCE leaves from T5A (which is not unlikely, I believe), my guess would be that you're done.

I flew to BOS the other day with a 1:35 connection and barely made it ... personally, I still think that anything below 2 hours is risky in T5.

Hope this helps.
Old Dec 15, 08, 2:40 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Hi. I flew through T5 a few weeks back: arriving at T5A on a domestic from Edinburgh and leaving from T5B on a longhaul to LAX. Connection time was 1 hour. I made it with plenty of time - though I had expected it to be tight. Still time for some pre-planned shopping, and my luggage made it too!
Old Dec 15, 08, 3:01 pm

Programs: Lord OPebble - Mucci of the Hour. Diamond Class MUCCI.Chevalier du Circle Intime de Pucci
Be careful as NCE currently leaves from T1; will then move to T3 for a short period and then on to T5.

Exactly what are your travel dates?
Old Dec 15, 08, 4:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by OPebble View Post
Be careful as NCE currently leaves from T1; will then move to T3 for a short period and then on to T5.

Exactly what are your travel dates?
Next September.

If I can talk them into switching us to the earlier flight, that means they take responsibility. So, if I make it, fine. If I don't, then they can't say, "hard cheese, old man" and they'll have to get us on the next flight, probably the one we were originally on.

Or not.
Old Dec 30, 08, 9:28 am

Programs: BA GGL, VS Gold, BD Gold, Flying Blue Platinum, IC RA, Hilton Diamond, Eurostar Carte Blanche
Originally Posted by startreker View Post
Hi. I flew through T5 a few weeks back: arriving at T5A on a domestic from Edinburgh and leaving from T5B on a longhaul to LAX. Connection time was 1 hour. I made it with plenty of time - though I had expected it to be tight. Still time for some pre-planned shopping, and my luggage made it too!
I haven't done a domestic to international connection since the days of T1 to T4 (as I usually don't trust them so just travel down the night before) but IIRC I didn't have to go through a second security check at T4 after getting my BP checked at T1 flight connections and getting on the bus , it just dropped me off at the terminal and I entered straight in the departure shopping area. I also know I have had to pass through security when connecting to a domestic flight from T5 following a Europe or Long haul flight.

However, later this week I do have a domestic to international connection at T5 so I am just wondering if I will have to clear security again after flight connections at T5? Also, if there is a second security check, why did I never have to do this from T1 to T4 or is my memory going?
Old Dec 30, 08, 11:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by BA1A View Post
I haven't done a domestic to international connection since the days of T1 to T4 (as I usually don't trust them so just travel down the night before) but IIRC I didn't have to go through a second security check at T4 after getting my BP checked at T1 flight connections and getting on the bus , it just dropped me off at the terminal and I entered straight in the departure shopping area.
why did I never have to do this from T1 to T4 or is my memory going?
If you connect from a domestic flight, the theory is that you have already been security screened in the UK, to UK standards, so you don't need to be security screened again. So when connecting from T1 to an international flight, you would have been routed into the T1/2 Flight Connections Centre after the security screening point. In contrast, any non-Ireland international arrival into T1 would go into the FCC before the security screening point. IIRC, I think that all Ireland arrivals had to go landside and then come back to airside via a normal landside->airside security screening point. By the time you reached the bus to go to T4, it would therefore have contained a mixture of domestic arrivals not screened at LHR, and international arrivals screened again at LHR.
Old Dec 30, 08, 12:46 pm

Programs: BA GGL, VS Gold, BD Gold, Flying Blue Platinum, IC RA, Hilton Diamond, Eurostar Carte Blanche
Originally Posted by Globaliser View Post
If you connect from a domestic flight, the theory is that you have already been security screened in the UK, to UK standards, so you don't need to be security screened again. So when connecting from T1 to an international flight, you would have been routed into the T1/2 Flight Connections Centre after the security screening point. In contrast, any non-Ireland international arrival into T1 would go into the FCC before the security screening point. By the time you reached the bus to go to T4, it would therefore have contained a mixture of domestic arrivals not screened at LHR, and international arrivals screened again at LHR.
Correct, I remember it now as you describe. So does the same rule apply at T5, will I have secondary security to go through or not when connecting from a UK domestic flight?
Old Dec 30, 08, 12:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Correct, I remember it now as you describe. So does the same rule apply at T5, will I have secondary security to go through or not when connecting from a UK domestic flight?
Hi,

No , you will not have secondary security at T5 when connecting from a UK domestic flight.

Regards

TBS
Old Dec 30, 08, 1:17 pm

Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot View Post
Hi,

No , you will not have secondary security at T5 when connecting from a UK domestic flight.

Regards

TBS
Thanks TBS - I thought you may reply given all those trips to SFO
Old Dec 30, 08, 4:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Thanks TBS - I thought you may reply given all those trips to SFO
Hi,

When travelling to SFO from EDI I normally overnight in LHR ( so I reclear security) but when I did EDI-LHR-PHX with my parents in August it was just going thorugh the boarding pass check before going into the T5 Departures lounge.

Regards

TBS
Old Dec 30, 08, 5:27 pm

Possibly the most effortless flight connection you can make when transfering domestic to international at T5.

You walk off the aircraft, walk all of 30 meteres max to the BP check, then go up an escallator, et voila you are in T5 departures next to the Crown Rivers pub.
Old Dec 31, 08, 3:51 am

Programs: LH Senator, BA Gold, AF Platinum, HH Gold, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by TP_Hitter View Post
Dear BigLar,

as far as I'm aware, min connection time in T5 is 60 mins. You will not need to go through passport control/immigration BUT you will need to pass through flight connections 35 mins before your onward connection leaves.

Based on my experience 1:05 is cutting is (very) tight. If your longhaul arrives into T5B and the flight to NCE leaves from T5A (which is not unlikely, I believe), my guess would be that you're done.
I'm quite used to short haul-short haul connections in LHR and you can make it in 45 min if the flight is arriving ontime.

Personally I believe min connecting time of 60' for T5-T5 istoo long: 50 or 55' would be more reasonable.

Even arriving or departing from 5B is not adding too much time to the transit (in the region of 5'/10'), if you can pass through flight connections 35 mins ahead your flight the connection is done in anycase. If you fail they will not let you through and will rebook you.

Be advised that a NCE flight from T5 is an exception: they usually depart from T3.

T5-T3 connection of 65' is too tight: the minimum is 75' if I'm not wrong.
Old Dec 31, 08, 4:00 am

Programs: Lord OPebble - Mucci of the Hour. Diamond Class MUCCI.Chevalier du Circle Intime de Pucci
Originally Posted by FlyIce View Post
Be advised that a NCE flight from T5 is an exception: they usually depart from T3.

Sorry no! NCE currently departs from T1. On 25th Feb NCE will move to T3 and on 29th March will move to T5!
Old Dec 31, 08, 4:14 am

Programs: LH Senator, BA Gold, AF Platinum, HH Gold, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by OPebble View Post
Sorry no! NCE currently departs from T1. On 25th Feb NCE will move to T3 and on 29th March will move to T5!
I remembered that too (and the 757 docked at T1 as well), but there's a wrong page on the BA site in italian:
http://www.britishairways.com/travel...5/public/it_it

This page is instead correct(in any language): http://www.britishairways.com/travel...t/public/en_gb

I would also suggest this PDF to BigLar:
http://www.britishairways.com/cms/gl...onnections.pdf

Min connection time T5-T3 or T5-T1 seems 120', it's still 75' T1-T4 (the one I was used to).

Search this Thread