Wiki Posts
Search

Snoring...(not just on BA.)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15, 2008, 8:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: Lifetime Platinum
Snoring...(not just on BA.)

Is there a polite, or recognized way, of 'asking' somebody to kindly 'stop snoring' ? Or is it down to the crew ?
Old Dec 15, 2008, 8:36 am

Programs: Lord OPebble - Mucci of the Hour. Diamond Class MUCCI.Chevalier du Circle Intime de Pucci
Originally Posted by mike turnbull
Is there a polite, or recognized way, of 'asking' somebody to kindly 'stop snoring' ? Or is it down to the crew ?
Suffocation with a pillow! "Oh sorry I am told that I tend to do that when I am sleep walking!"
Old Dec 15, 2008, 8:39 am

Location: 15 minutes west of LHR, Stockholm, or somewhere inbetween.
Programs: BAEC Gold GGL, CCR, GfL, Mucci des Recherches des Consommations Exotiques.
When I was in the military, we used to line up our marching boots (heavy) next to our bunks.

If somebody started snoring, 15 - 20 guys would all start throwing their boots at the offending party.

They quickly got cured of this particular habit.

bjorns
Old Dec 15, 2008, 8:52 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

There was a overweight Italian on my last AZ flight snoring his head off but it didn't last long. His wife gave him a good dig in the ribs and told him to shuta the *ucka up. ^
Old Dec 15, 2008, 9:10 am

Programs: Mucci Gold Class
Earplugs?
Old Dec 15, 2008, 9:12 am

Programs: MUCCI; BAEC Lifetime Gold; Marriott Bonvoy Emeritus Titanium; Hertz#1, Avis President’s Club
Originally Posted by whmere
Earplugs?
What to stuff down the snorer's throat?
Old Dec 15, 2008, 9:58 am

Programs: Muccihood de la Rotisserie Doree, BAEC Gold, SAS Eurobonus basic, Ansett Golden Wing :-(
Originally Posted by johnaalex
What to stuff down the snorer's throat?
I find squeezing my partner's nostrils shut does the trick. Reroutes the breathing through the mouth rather than the nose. So sticking the earplugs up the snorer's nose would be better than down the throat.
Old Dec 15, 2008, 10:52 am

Originally Posted by HIDDY
There was a overweight Italian on my last AZ flight snoring his head off but it didn't last long. His wife gave him a good dig in the ribs and told him to shuta the *ucka up. ^
I was on a VS flight to DXB in August. Woke up to hear my husband snoring like a drain. So I grabbed his leg to shake him awake (the UC partitions are quite high, so shaking his leg was the easiest thing to do). He said "what?", but the snoring continued... it was someone else, nearby, snoring...

Just hid my head under a pillow and tried to get back to sleep...

I don't think that I could say anything - if it was RIDICOLOUSLY bad (not the normal "man snoring" that a lot of men seem to do regardless...), then I would mention it to the Cabin Crew. But, if it was that bad, they probably would have said something to the person anyway...

Boo
Old Dec 15, 2008, 12:42 pm

Programs: QF Platinum (OW Emerald); QF Lifestime Silver; BD Diamond Club Gold (*A Gold)
Originally Posted by bjorns
When I was in the military, we used to line up our marching boots (heavy) next to our bunks.

If somebody started snoring, 15 - 20 guys would all start throwing their boots at the offending party.
Clearly someone had the same idea with Dubya at today's news conference. I would feel less assured about my secret service detail, were I him.

Back on topic, it's the farting I find more unpleasant than snoring...
Old Dec 15, 2008, 1:43 pm

Programs: BA EC Gold
Originally Posted by bjorns

They quickly got cured of this particular habit.

bjorns
Seriously, I wonder - I wasn't aware that snoring was voluntary. I thought it had to do with the thickness of your neck and the position of your soft palette (or somesuch) while you sleep...
Old Dec 15, 2008, 1:45 pm

Programs: BA EC Gold
Originally Posted by virtualtroy
Back on topic, it's the farting I find more unpleasant than snoring...
Oh, yes. Yes, yes, yes. I always get stuck next to someone who gasses me the entire flight!

I read somewhere that change in pressure due to the simulated altitude makes it worse! And I also read that the 777 has improved ventilation to deal with this annoying little issue...

I'd be interested if any cabin crew can confirm.
Old Dec 15, 2008, 1:56 pm

Programs: Mucci Entry Level, BA Gold, EK Pleb, SK Pleb, QR Pleb
Originally Posted by ajax
Oh, yes. Yes, yes, yes. I always get stuck next to someone who gasses me the entire flight!

I read somewhere that change in pressure due to the simulated altitude makes it worse! And I also read that the 777 has improved ventilation to deal with this annoying little issue...

I'd be interested if any cabin crew can confirm.

Indeed, gasses are what I fear the most on an overnight flight. Last time I went LHR-JNB I was in 62K. I woke up about 2 am and felt that the air was thick with gasses.

I decided to stretch my legs so I went down to the club kitchen and chatted with some insomnia south africans. I then thought it would be a good idea to walk around the plane. When I passed the curtains to economy, whow!! The air was not even breathable. I was thinking about slave ships and cholera
Old Dec 15, 2008, 3:02 pm
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by HIDDY
All men snore, and not one of them will admit to it and I bet that all of of you my darling dashing handsome Mike Turnbull included!

There are three ways to stop this. Use the noise cancelling headphones that we give or grab by the testicles. Clearly we crew are not about to do that but wives can. (I do know some crew who might love to but even tbhey want to keep their jobs). The last is to have an @accident@ withb cold water in the same location. Shuts 'em up!

(Do not try this at home, Children!)
Old Dec 16, 2008, 12:55 am

Programs: MUCCI; BAEC Lifetime Gold; Marriott Bonvoy Emeritus Titanium; Hertz#1, Avis President’s Club
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
... or grab by the testicles.
Should I dare to snore on one of your flights, feel free to grab the bull by the horn
Old Dec 16, 2008, 2:02 am

Programs: BAEC, LHM&M, and even a dusty KLFB!
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
All men snore, and not one of them will admit to it
I snore! But I'm very well trained, and usually turn over and stop if told to or poked.

But yes, I always don the earplugs and noise-cancelling headphones to block out the snores, clanks, and chatter anyway on night flights.

Now don't get me started on the people who start snoring like chainsaws whilst sat bolt upright on a shorthaul flight in the middle of the day (when neither earplugs nor headsets are available). I have before now tried flicking water across the aisle at them, with, I am proud to report, zero success!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.