FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   OT: HEX alternative for Jan 1 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/899107-ot-hex-alternative-jan-1-a.html)

sombrachinesca Dec 14, 2008 10:20 am

OT: HEX alternative for Jan 1

Dear all,

I'm hoping to impose on your collective wisdom for some sage advice.

I am scheduled for BA 93 (LHR-YYZ) on Jan 1, 2009 (11:55 departure).

Based on the Christmas Day schedules, I am assuming there will be no HEX train service on New Year's.
Is the replacement bus the only worthwhile alternative?

Suggestions welcome!
(For the record, I've not used anything other than HEX (well once via the tube), so detailed instructions would be most appreciated)

Cheers,
Bill

Swanhunter Dec 14, 2008 10:23 am

HEX operates as normal on the 1st January. The only service suspension is the 25th December due to engineering works. It would be helpful if this was clearly set out on the HEX website, but what do expect from a BAA company. :rolleyes:

Trav+ Dec 14, 2008 11:26 am

Unless you're staying near Paddington then taxi or Tube fare plus the HEX fare could cost almost as much as a car service.

I've used www.justairports.com www.exclusiveairports.com and www.london-transfers.com for journeys to LHR, paid reasonable fares and had a far more comfortable journey with each than I would have had on the train.

Fare from W1 to LHR should be about £25 - 28; a painless journey to the airport should mark a good start to 2009 :D

sombrachinesca Dec 14, 2008 11:53 am

thanks!

ILUVMYLEXUS Dec 14, 2008 12:11 pm

you can always take a taxi from the rank
and they can always fly down the red carpet (M4 bus lane) if traffic is heavy on the M4 into town.
less hold ups and can save up to 30 minutes over a private car journey along the same route

heartybob Dec 14, 2008 12:53 pm

Originally Posted by sombrachinesca
... collective wisdom for some sage advice. I am scheduled for BA 93 (LHR-YYZ) on Jan 1, 2009.

Originally Posted by ILUVMYLEXUS (Post 10906192)
you can always take a taxi from the rank and they can always fly down the red carpet (M4 bus lane) if traffic is heavy on the M4 into town.

:confused:

OPebble Dec 14, 2008 2:37 pm

Originally Posted by ILUVMYLEXUS (Post 10906192)
you can always take a taxi from the rank
and they can always fly down the red carpet (M4 bus lane) if traffic is heavy on the M4 into town.
less hold ups and can save up to 30 minutes over a private car journey along the same route

Hang on - the OP was talking about getting TO LHR not the other way round!

layz Dec 14, 2008 6:50 pm

I'm a cheapskate I use dot2dot to get from home to LHR when I'm travelling too early/late or can't be bothered with the tube. I live on the easternmost boundary of the areas that they serve so it works out a lot cheaper than a taxi for me and without the hassles of changing from train to bus and then a bit of a walk. The price compares favourably with the Heathrow Express + connecting tube and bus fares to Paddington.

dot2dot is great when travelling alone, if there's more than one person then also get quotes for taxis too. Remember though the rules for bus lanes: black cabs (the most expensive option) can use the bus lanes but private hire taxis can't. However, as dot2dot is officially classed as a coach service (even though it's really a shared taxi) it can use the bus lanes.

Trav+ Dec 14, 2008 7:27 pm

National Express, which operates dot2dot, are discontinuing the service because of decreasing numbers of tourists, according to the Grauniad. The service is either to be sold or shut down, probably early in the new year.