What to get the BA crew on Dec 24

Old Dec 14, 08, 9:57 am
Moderator, Hertz; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM, BA GGL, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond and others
What to get the BA crew on Dec 24

I usually offer some sort of chocolates for my crew on long-haul flights. This year I am flying on 24th of December back to Chicago. On my United flights I usually get a handmade box of chocolates from Krakow. This year I am traveling around Rome, Paris, and London before I have a chance to fly back.
What should I get the crew? Box of candy from Harrod's or Selfridges?
Maybe some candy or treats from Paris? I could bring back some baguettes but by the time I get to the flight the only thing they would be good for is to hold back those rowdy yanks from entering WT+ or god forbid raiding my club kitchen....
Old Dec 14, 08, 10:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC/IB
Nice idea. ^

Some fancy biscuits to have with their break time cuppa maybe?
Old Dec 14, 08, 10:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I find goat's cheese and jambon cru make for an excellent faux-working-class lunch.
Old Dec 14, 08, 10:49 am

Earlier post deleted...

Last edited by lhrtolgw; Dec 14, 08 at 2:08 pm
Old Dec 14, 08, 11:54 am

Programs: BA Exec
Jason, as a BA crewmember myself, here is my advice: don't get too hung up on what brand of choccies or what-not .... it's the gesture that counts ...

I would imagine the crew will appreciate the gesture much more than whatever you end up getting them .... it's not often that this happens, but when it does it really makes you stop and realise that in this crazy world we live in some people still care.

p.s. if you are wondering what lhrtolgw is on about, the crew union have just sent everyone a 'leaked' internal BA document (draft) of proposed changes to crew conditions .... lots of changes proposed and of course some people will get quite emotional about it .... Crew will be operating both shorthaul/longhaul on new contracts, hourly rates etc. ..... but that's really nothing to do with the topic at hand ....

Jason thanks in advance for your kind gesture, it WILL be appreciated. ^
Old Dec 14, 08, 12:48 pm

What a lovely thought..!!!! I won't be on your flight, but thankyou anyway..!!
Old Dec 14, 08, 12:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
If giving chocolates, you might consider giving two smaller packages - one package of regular and one package of sugar-free.

I did this at the FLL AA ticket counter a while back, and earned high praise from two of the agents, who told me that thay always had to miss out on holiday treats because of the sugar content.
Old Dec 14, 08, 1:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador
What a nice idea. ^
Old Dec 14, 08, 2:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2MM
What part of the journey would gifting protocol suggest is best for actually presenting the gift?

At the beginning? (and seem like you're trying to bribe them into better service) Half-way through? Or at the end? (at which point I might be tempted to reconsider if the service was questionable)
Old Dec 14, 08, 3:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador
Originally Posted by sombrachinesca View Post
What part of the journey would gifting protocol suggest is best for actually presenting the gift?

At the beginning? (and seem like you're trying to bribe them into better service) Half-way through? Or at the end? (at which point I might be tempted to reconsider if the service was questionable)
I'd do it after you were settled in your seat and the crew member came over to you for perhaps the second time. That way, it doesn't seem to eager and any reciprocatory gesture (ie. an upgrade ) would be a bonus.
Old Dec 14, 08, 10:34 pm

Programs: BAEC Blue, Priority Club Platinum, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold
I'll be flying longhaul the evening of the 25th and would like to do something like this as well, at the very least to express my thanks for their having to work Xmas day. Would getting something for the entire crew (in my cabin) to share suffice? If I'm in CW on a 777, how many crew members would there be? Thank you for the suggestions.
Old Dec 15, 08, 4:30 am

Programs: BA Gold, BD Gold (RIP), TK Elite, HH Gold, Marriott Silver, SPG Gold, IC RA, Hertz 5*
This is a fantastic idea. I might even do it on my S/H flights on the 22/23rd.

Though L/H crew working 24/25 different deserve a bit of gratitude and it is a perfect of time of year to show general appreciation for the crew that put up with all of us around the year
Old Dec 15, 08, 4:47 am
Moderator, Hertz; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM, BA GGL, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond and others
Wirelessly posted (Blackberry 8820: Opera/9.50 (J2ME/MIDP; Opera Mini/4.1.11355/574; U; en))

I usually give them during boarding as the purser is usually handing out drinks to first so its not too busy or after the meal service. If its a night flight before, day flight afterwards.
I agree its the gesture that counts. I never expect anything in return (well maybe some f pjs ) but have received different praises of thanks along the way.
I like the 2 seperate boxes of chocolates idea in case some don't like sugar. I could get alcoholic chocolates
How many crew on a 747 lhr-ord usually?
Old Dec 15, 08, 5:24 am

Programs: SPG Gold, Marriott Silver, Continental OnePass, BA Executive Club, Tesco ;)
Hmm, I'm flying DXB-LHR-NCL on Christmas Eve (the 02:35 departure from DXB!) and I'm tempted to do this also. I'm in CW on the 744 (hopefully upper deck).

So the concesus would be that it's best to give such gifts (probably just a box of chocs I've picked up in Duty Free at the airport) during the initial drinks run after boarding?
Old Dec 15, 08, 7:02 am

Programs: Lord OPebble - Mucci of the Hour. Diamond Class MUCCI.Chevalier du Circle Intime de Pucci
Originally Posted by Vitriol01 View Post
Hmm, I'm flying DXB-LHR-NCL on Christmas Eve (the 02:35 departure from DXB!) and I'm tempted to do this also. I'm in CW on the 744 (hopefully upper deck).

So the concesus would be that it's best to give such gifts (probably just a box of chocs I've picked up in Duty Free at the airport) during the initial drinks run after boarding?
I don't think it really matters too much, but pick a time when the crew aren't running around like blue a*sed flies!

Search this Thread
Search Engine: