GCM Grand Cayman

Old Dec 12, 08, 4:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: GGL, Cats protection
GCM Grand Cayman

Trying to make it BA relevant so it doesnt get moved!
Have been given the chance to apply for a job in Grand Cayman, same job I do here, 50% pay rise,
What do I need to know about flying to and living there??
Old Dec 12, 08, 4:40 pm

Programs: AC*SE100K BA-S HH-D IHG-Plat Accor-G MR-S
I've been there 4 or 5 times in the past two years. It's small, both in terms of the size of the island and the population (approx 65,000 more than 50% foreign). Largest ethnic groups are US, Cda, UK and about 100 other countries. Indigineous culture: not much that I've seen. Think Southern Florida with a clipped British accent blended with a Jamaican lilt.

Sports: diving, diving, diving, with a bit of footie, rugby, cricket and golf.

Dining: some excellent spots.

Standard of living: very high, good schools, good salaries. Tricky medical cases are flown to Miami. Taxes are low, housing is expensive. Expats are subject to 6-year term limits on work permits, unless you are a company officer (there are some exceptions for government employees, etc.)

Oh, the BA part. The one time I used BA, it was the stub end of a LGW-NAS-GCM flight. I don't think it's daily. There are daily one-world flights on AA to MIA.

Apologies for the stream-of-conscience post. Hope it's useful.
--
13F
Old Dec 12, 08, 4:48 pm

Hurricanes

I forgot to mention the weather. It's usually great, but sometimes it's very, very nasty. GCM got whacked really hard by Ivan in 2004. The island is only 24 metres above sea level at it's highest point and most is much lower. Apparently the storm surge caused the island to disappear from satelite radar temporarily. A client of mine was forced to take refuge on the second floor of his house for three days before he could get his family out.
--
13F
Old Dec 12, 08, 4:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

BA.com shows the flight to Grand Cayman leaving from LHR 4 times a week ( Tue/Wed/Fri/Sat) on a 767 ( no F , only CW,WT+ and WT)

Regards

TBS

PS I think one FT'er comes from that area. ( not 100% sure)
Old Dec 12, 08, 5:04 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TG Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Plat
The reasons why the salaries in the Caymans are so high is because the cost of living is so high. If you like the simple things in life at a very slow pace, mixing with the neighbours, making your own fun through amateur choirs or theatre group, then this is the place for you.

Been there twice a half day stop on cruises and loved it but its not for me long term. It is beautiful and peacefully place except for a few hours each day when the cruise ships stop by.
Old Dec 12, 08, 5:07 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the info, if anyone has anything else, please chime in.....
Its a teaching job within the new education system so it doesnt have restrictions on the length of time you can stay, the standard contract is usually about 2 years, is the weather the only problem?
Old Dec 12, 08, 5:20 pm

Originally Posted by pinkcat View Post
Thanks for the info, if anyone has anything else, please chime in.....
Its a teaching job within the new education system so it doesnt have restrictions on the length of time you can stay, the standard contract is usually about 2 years, is the weather the only problem?
Interesting handle, pinkcat. For your sake, I hope you're not gay. GCM is not a terribly gay friendly place. (Google gay + Cayman.)

I agree with KenJohn's post. The weather is probably the worst thing to deal with. But there have been some crime issues recently, and drunk drivers, speeders, etc. To get a feel for the place. subscribe to these daily news services:
http://www.caycompass.com/
http://www.caymannetnews.com/index.php
--
13F

PS the government recently announced scaling back plans to construct new schools. It is part of their response to shrinking revenues / drop in tourism arrivals.
Old Dec 12, 08, 5:46 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Seat13F_AC_CRJ View Post
Interesting handle, pinkcat. For your sake, I hope you're not gay. GCM is not a terribly gay friendly place.

PS the government recently announced scaling back plans to construct new schools. It is part of their response to shrinking revenues / drop in tourism arrivals.

the post is advertised this week so its a current job
I am over 40, female and married, the handle is an Andy Warhol picture which I aquired a few years ago, also called one of my kitties Sam after the cat
Old Dec 12, 08, 5:57 pm

Originally Posted by pinkcat View Post
the post is advertised this week so its a current job
Good luck landing the job.
--
13F
Old Dec 12, 08, 5:57 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: up in the air
Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot View Post
PS I think one FT'er comes from that area. ( not 100% sure)
From the Where We All Live thread

Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer View Post
Cayman Islands

GCM Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands
TomCayman - George Town

Search this Thread