Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

OT - NQY shut to flights between 01/12-18/12 inclusive!!!!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

OT - NQY shut to flights between 01/12-18/12 inclusive!!!!

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26, 2008, 3:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Mucci Master of the Skies, Does anyone read any further than Mucci anyway? BAEC Blue
OT: Air traffic delay stops flights

Although BA don't fly into NQY anymore, this story from the BBC will mean that there are a few unhappy people who use WOW and Skybus. Looks like my flight next week from PLH might be delayed if the bussed pax from NQY are late.
Old Nov 26, 2008, 3:59 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver,clubcard,clubcard plus, BA Amex................ And Mucci x3 ;)
Unhappy OT - NQY shut to flights between 01/12-18/12 inclusive!!!!

Could be of interest to anyone with flights to or from NQY over the next month or so:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/cornwall/7750133.stm

seems like CCC has messed up yet again!!

will effect anyone with Airsouthwest flights from LGW which could well be connections onwards from BA flights!

http://www.airsouthwest.com/news/shownews.php?ne_id=208

http://www.newquaycornwallairport.co...rticleid=46905
Old Nov 26, 2008, 4:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Threads merged....

Swanhunter
Moderator BAEC
Old Nov 26, 2008, 10:57 pm

Programs: PC Amb., BA Blue
I don't get this statement on the airport's site, why would it be open for check-in if shut down?

We were informed around 4.30pm today (26.11.08), that the RAF is unable to continue to operate the airfield at St Mawgan beyond the original transition date of 1 December.
26 November 2008

Given that the Airport will not be licensed until 19 December, we are effectively closed for commercial flights with flights resuming on 20 December 2008. However, the terminal building will remain open and in operation for check-in.

I've got flights from here on the 27th of Dec....anyone think it might be closed longer? After all....the thread title says 18th dec., the statement above now states 20th, could go up & up?
Old Nov 27, 2008, 12:22 am

Programs: BA Silver
So they can bus you to Plymouth I would think.
Old Nov 27, 2008, 12:37 am

Programs: BA GGL, British Midland Lifetime* Loser
Another absolute shocker. Cornwall County Council's handling of that airport is a disgrace.

And to think these people will have unitary control from next year!
Old Nov 27, 2008, 12:42 am

Programs: Lord OPebble - Mucci of the Hour. Diamond Class MUCCI.Chevalier du Circle Intime de Pucci
Originally Posted by ajamieson
Another absolute shocker. Cornwall County Council's handling of that airport is a disgrace.

And to think these people will have unitary control from next year!
There used to be an aphorism (with apologies to all teachers) "Those who can do; those who can't teach!" to which needs to be added "and those who can't teach become local/county councillors!".
Old Nov 27, 2008, 8:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: Mucci Master of the Skies, Does anyone read any further than Mucci anyway? BAEC Blue
Looks like Ryanair are joining the bandwagon of having a go at the airport, council and the RAF. But then I wouldn't expect anything else from them really.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/cornwall/7752446.stm
Old Nov 27, 2008, 11:17 am

Programs: PC Amb., BA Blue
Just been sent an email from FR telling me my flights are cancelled, and to apply for some schengen refund (or go from another airport), as they're shutting down until at least Mid-January, all flights from NQY.

I managed to fly on the week of 9/11 with FR...it took Cornwall County Council to finally get my first cancellation.

Had a summer holiday job, bout 17 years ago, at their HQ (C.C.C.'s) - somewhere in the benefits finance dept....they behaved like animals, quite frankly, some of them - thought nothing of getting on the tables & dancing/pretending to strip etc. for a laugh, in front of 50 people.Carried right on when the bosses walked in. Meanwhile I proceeded to process expense claims for new scooters to cure someone's mental depression.

So anyways - it was always clear these two entities are 2 completely different beasts, and neither were going to jump to the other's tune.

Last edited by tristan727; Nov 27, 2008 at 11:23 am
Old Nov 27, 2008, 4:09 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver,clubcard,clubcard plus, BA Amex................ And Mucci x3 ;)
Originally Posted by tristan727
Just been sent an email from FR telling me my flights are cancelled, and to apply for some schengen refund (or go from another airport), as they're shutting down until at least Mid-January, all flights from NQY.

I managed to fly on the week of 9/11 with FR...it took Cornwall County Council to finally get my first cancellation.

Had a summer holiday job, bout 17 years ago, at their HQ (C.C.C.'s) - somewhere in the benefits finance dept....they behaved like animals, quite frankly, some of them - thought nothing of getting on the tables & dancing/pretending to strip etc. for a laugh, in front of 50 people.Carried right on when the bosses walked in. Meanwhile I proceeded to process expense claims for new scooters to cure someone's mental depression.

So anyways - it was always clear these two entities are 2 completely different beasts, and neither were going to jump to the other's tune.

tristan727

i feel for you on this one!

FR are basically using this to get some good Cornish publicity as they have been slammed in the press here over the last couple of weeks for cancelling the majority of Spanish-NQY flights for 2-3 months over December and early part of next year.........

Yes as iv said already CCC are the muppets that they are being made out to be in the press over this whole issue, however the important thing to remember is that NQY will reopen (cant say for sure 19th December is a deff date!) but it will reopen and Cornwall will have a decent facility

however, i personally feel that it needs to be run by someone other than CCC, but from the councils previous experience of it being run by serco im not too sure that they would want to go back to that!
Old Nov 27, 2008, 4:19 pm

Think that this is the best:...........

http://www.ryanair.com/site/EN/news....=gen-en-271108
Old Dec 21, 2008, 10:59 am

well a bit of an update........

The CAA were happy when they returned that the work carried out during the closure of NQY brought the site upto the required standard and have issued the licence with flights re-starting yesterday 20th December.

Obviously this closure has caused significant travel disruption to many people but im glad to see that NQY has reopened when CCC suggested it might when the temp closure was announced.

Now here's hoping that CCC pull their fingers out and expand on a very good facility, BE have announced they are to start a 3 daily NQY-LGW(s) with a newly based Q400 at NQY which is in direct competition to WOW's services, i wonder if a BA codeshare with WOW or BE is out of the question ?

however if any of the fter's are planning a visit this way early next year this might be of interest:
http://www.airsouthwest.com/news/shownews.php?ne_id=213
£29 per sector on NQY flights with WOW including NQY-LGW, very good pricing to rival the recent BE announcement and drum up some customers! offer ends on 29-12-08 and is for flights taken in Jan09

hope its of help
CS

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.