Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

ORD-LHR-BOM First time BA traveller with toddler. Advice needed

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25, 2008, 2:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage, BAEC Blue, AI Flying Returns, Marriott Gold, Avis Preferred

Hello all,
First time travelling BA with a 2.5 year old (yes, one of those people) going ORD-LHR-BOM. Travelling on WTP all the way. My booking shows the ORD-LHR segment to be a 777 (BA 0294) and the LHR-BOM segment to be a 747 (BA 0139). Given the kid factor involved I'm very conscious that I want to minimize any kid related inconvenience to other passengers so, two questions -

1.) Any advice on the preferred seating for me and my daughter? I have heard variously that the seats at the back are better because they are tucked away and closer to the restroom. Is that true? What rows would they be?

2.) I will be carrying my laptop and a portable dvd player with many "Sesame street" and "Dora the explorer" Dvds to keep my daughter distracted. What about the power ports? Are they US standard or do I have to buy an adapter?

Your advice and opinions are highly appreciated and will help me plan my travel

Regards
Old Nov 25, 2008, 2:13 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH Sen, MUCCI, Junior Jet Club.
I am sure others will chime in with the seating, but the 747 will have (if it works) audio-video on demand, which is a touch-screen menu based entertainment system. There should be plenty of content suitable for your daughter.

The power ports are EMPower I believe, so you will need an adapter.

And welcome to the forum! There is something in the Sticky about travelling with children if you need more info - http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showp...9&postcount=19
Old Nov 25, 2008, 2:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Welcome to Flyertalk!

As BahrainLad notes, the sticky has some good advice for you. Empower is needed for the inseat power.

To help with seating, BOM will be a 70J 747. The last row is closer to the loo, but you still have to walk past a few rows of Y to get there. Back row is closest on the 777 4 class (which is what you will be on). www. seatexpert.com for more details.
Old Nov 25, 2008, 2:35 am

Programs: BAEC Blue, British Airways ID, Lloyds TSB Visa Debit Card
You can buy the in-seat adapter from duty free onboard but I've always thought them to be very expensive onboard. Of course, if you're from the US, the dollar rate makes them far less expensive than they used to be at Ł69.00.

Check this : http://www.highlifeshop.com/p-203-te...-inverter.aspx

I'd suggest shopping around first. I know you can get them cheaper in a variety of places. I found one on eBay for example : http://cgi.ebay.com/APC-75-Watt-Powe...1%7C240%3A1318

Eww. Horrible link.

Anyway, if you do end up getting one from British Airways onboard and don't think you'd ever use it again, there's always the unfortunate risk of the adapter not working and you being able to take advantage of the no quibble returns promise.... If you catch my drift.

We do still carry a couple of the above onboard for our customers in First but if you talk nicely to the crew and they have one available (remember to explain it's for your daughter's DVDs), they may well lend you one. I know I would, but I'm lovely .

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.