Luggage [max weight]

Old Nov 21, 2008, 1:02 pm

Programs: BA GGL, VS Gold, BD Gold, Flying Blue Platinum, IC RA, Hilton Diamond, Eurostar Carte Blanche
Originally Posted by Travelling Man

She can take her new designer case and will not have to show at check -in just how many shoes, handbags and other things that she doesn't need in Barbados to all and sundry!!!
Forgive the obvious question but isn't it a bit daft to check in a designer (which presumably means expensive) case given the way luggage is thrown around, not to mention the added attraction it must be for those less than honest baggage handlers that can be found all over the world?

I recently meet a couple who retrieved 4 pieces of Louis Vuitton luggage in ANU, much to my amazement!! I can just about understand it when it's hand luggage where you can keep an eye on it but even that's a risk sometimes as you can see from this thread in the VS forum:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=890674
Old Nov 21, 2008, 3:55 pm

the trouble with unwritten rules is that you may be the unlucky one who gets charged for excess baggage at check-in. my scenario is that when we go to the US on holiday we prefer to come back with 2 cases each that approach the current 32kg weight per bag ....do we risk in the future putting it in 2 bags or go for the safe option of spreading it among 3 bags each ? i would suggest it would be better all round if we went for the 2 bag policy, but that's not what the rules say.
i've had baggage problems with a certain US airline who have a glitch on their system where even written authority from their head office seems hard for the check-in agent to get their heads around.
Old Nov 22, 2008, 7:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Silver, BA Blue, FlyingClub Red
Originally Posted by BA1A
Forgive the obvious question but isn't it a bit daft to check in a designer (which presumably means expensive) case given the way luggage is thrown around, not to mention the added attraction it must be for those less than honest baggage handlers that can be found all over the world?

I recently meet a couple who retrieved 4 pieces of Louis Vuitton luggage in ANU, much to my amazement!! I can just about understand it when it's hand luggage where you can keep an eye on it but even that's a risk sometimes as you can see from this thread in the VS forum:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=890674
Designer suitcase from TK Maxx need I say more???? She needed a new one and chose one from there. If it gets damaged it gets damaged - knowing BA they'll lose it - just like they did with mine in Denver this July. Nothing is cast in stone is it...
Old Nov 26, 2008, 3:41 pm

Programs: PC, BA Low Rent Elite
Has anyone checked in a bag > 23Kg yet ??!
Old Dec 2, 2008, 8:13 am

Itinerary and Board Pass show 3 bags 23 kg for WT!

I OLCIed my brother-in-law last night for BA284 SFO-LHR leaving today (02 December 2008) and his boarding pass and also the itinerary from ba.com show checked baggage allowance as 3 Bags (Not to exceed 23 kg/51 lbs).
This is a WT ticket and he does not have any status in BAEC. It is difficult to reproduce the boarding pass in the right format, but I have copied and pasted the text. I have also edited the Seat no. and booking reference.
e-ticket - no coupon
Flight
BA0284

Seat
30xxx

Date
02 December
Gate closes at
15:55
Departure time
16:15
From
SAN FRANCISCO
INTERNATIONAL
Terminal I
To
HEATHROW (LONDON)
Terminal 5

YOUR FLIGHT DETAILS
Booking Reference
3VWWWW
Operating Airline
British Airways
Class of travel
World Traveller
Hand baggage allowance
Please see ba.com
Checked baggage allowance
3bags (No bag to exceed 23kg/51lbs)
Old Dec 3, 2008, 12:31 am

Programs: BA gold; bmi silver; Virgin silver; Hilton Gold; Marriott Gold
LGW MAN 24.6kg

I checked in a bag on Monday at Gatwick to Manchester, 24.6kg. Not queried at all. I'm a gold card holder.

Fingers crossed that will hold for the next legs, as tomorrow it's MAN LHR DXB with exactly the same bag / contents (it's been sitting unopened in my Manchester hotel room).
Old Dec 3, 2008, 4:18 pm

Programs: BA gold; bmi silver; Virgin silver; Hilton Gold; Marriott Gold
worried about MAN possibly being hit by snow problems tomorrow, I changed my flight and flew back to LGW tonight. Bag was 27.1 kg, and not an eyelid batted. This could have been due to the gold card, or to the fact that traffic problems in Manchester meant I was dropping bags off at T-20, and they wanted to get me to the gate asap.

So... no issue with the overweight bag being accepted. However, it didn't arrive at LGW... Fingers crossed for it being delivered to me tomorrow, as all my stuff for the UAE trip is in it...!
Old Dec 3, 2008, 4:29 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver; Muccis du Monde des Peluches
Originally Posted by satish_ny
I OLCIed my brother-in-law last night for BA284 SFO-LHR leaving today (02 December 2008) and his boarding pass and also the itinerary from ba.com show checked baggage allowance as 3 Bags (Not to exceed 23 kg/51 lbs).
This is a WT ticket and he does not have any status in BAEC.
Are there any legs to his itinerary in higher classes, or on other airlines (on the same ticket)? If so, he gets the highest allowance. If not it sounds like a mistake.

Incidentally status does not affect baggage allowance, apart from (allegedly) the >23kg fee.
Old Dec 3, 2008, 4:34 pm
Suspended

Programs: Proud owner of 3 Mucci's (yes, 3!) the latest being Chevaliere des Bains Chauds, BA Silver (6 yrs)
Originally Posted by pinkpanther99
So... no issue with the overweight bag being accepted. However, it didn't arrive at LGW... Fingers crossed for it being delivered to me tomorrow, as all my stuff for the UAE trip is in it...!
Bags up to 32kg will continue to be allowed for First, CW and Gold & Silver card holders, but not their oneword equivalents. All BA staff are aware of the rules now.

If you arrived at T-20 I doubt there'd be sufficient time for the bag to make the flight. It would be touch and go at LGW, not sure how MAN is set up. In that case it should be sent on the first flight in the morning. Did you speak to Baggage Services in the Arrivals hall? They can chase it up for you.
Old Dec 3, 2008, 4:37 pm

Originally Posted by sunrisegirl
(Please don't shoot the messenger - I'm only saying what I've been told!)

My understanding is that it won't be published as of yet as we still want to encourage ALL passengers to keep to as close as 23kg as possible.
I'm not shooting the messenger - this is in no sense your fault - but having a secret policy like this is just a recipe for confusion and error. Inevitably some agents somewhere will not know, and directing them to FlyerTalk is hardly going to convince them. And without seeing the policy in black and Wwhite, even "in the know" FlyerTalkers don't know what it really means; does the waiver, for example, apply to all legs of a journey when just one leg is in CW or F?

Probably not as the information has been on ba.com for some months now so they will take it as you knew about the pending changes before you took your outbound flight.
Pretty much exactly twelve months as I recall. I remember when the £25 charge was finally announced (after months of amiguity), and it was clearly timed so as not to affect any tickets which had already been issued.
Old Dec 3, 2008, 4:40 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum (3MM), QF Lifetime Gold, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, Ex-Hyatt Diamond
Bags up to 32kg will continue to be allowed for First, CW and Gold & Silver card holders, but not their oneword equivalents. All BA staff are aware of the rules now.

If you arrived at T-20 I doubt there'd be sufficient time for the bag to make the flight. It would be touch and go at LGW, not sure how MAN is set up. In that case it should be sent on the first flight in the morning. Did you speak to Baggage Services in the Arrivals hall? They can chase it up for you.
Where does it say that the charge for F pax will be waived for bags 23kg up to 32kg. When I go to "Manage My Booking" on a F ticket is say the maximum allowance per bag is 23kg?
Old Dec 5, 2008, 1:00 am

Heavy Bag Charge not applied

My son travelled yesterday to gig wt cabin no status...he had only 1 piece of checked luggage but as this weighed 31.5 kg I suggested he repack into 2 smaller bags to avoid heavy bag charge of gbp25.00... he decided that he would rather pay up than lug 2 bags around . He checked in online and proceeded to bag drop t5 expecting to have to cough up gbp25.....to his delight nothing was said and he has now arrived in rio...as has his v heavy bag! Result! as he would say..
Old Dec 5, 2008, 2:24 am

Originally Posted by dando
My son travelled yesterday to gig wt cabin no status...he had only 1 piece of checked luggage but as this weighed 31.5 kg
Pushing his luck a bit if the scales aren't very accurate and it's over 32kg - I hope he had some space in his hand baggage for that eventuality.

I suggested he repack into 2 smaller bags to avoid heavy bag charge of gbp25.00... he decided that he would rather pay up than lug 2 bags around?
Very understandable.

he has now arrived in rio...
You know where LeisureFirst's envy switch is, don't you? Ahh, the very thought of it. I won't be there until February this winter.
Old Dec 5, 2008, 6:53 am

Programs: QF WP, Starwood Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club, Amex Platinum
IME BA has one of the best luggage allowances in the industry provided you are in J or above. When moving to Aus from the UK I chose to fly BA over QF despite being QF Platinum (extra 15Kg) mostly because of the luggage allowance ... at the time it was 3 bags 32 Kg so got over 90Kg of luggage. On Qf even with my extra it was 55Kg. Even now it is reduced to 23Kg is it still close to 70Kg wich is better than almost anyone else. In economy of course it is different ....
Old Dec 5, 2008, 8:49 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by ozzie
IME BA has one of the best luggage allowances in the industry provided you are in J or above.
Absolutely correct.

I was amazed how stingy other airlines are even when travelling in F.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.