Search

Mixing Zones on 2-4-1 redemption.

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3, 2008, 4:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA
Mixing Zones on 2-4-1 redemption.

Hi,
Have a bit of a question on an Amex 2-4-1 redemption. Didn't find a reference on a quick search.

Am planning a redemption to Egypt and was having a look at a side trip to Cyprus as well.

On a single redemption can i combine a CW flight from LHR-CAI then a CE flight from LCA-LHR?
I'd buy a single from CAI-LCA from Cyprus airways or Olympic to complete the open jaw.

I've done an open jaw LHR-SFO and LAX-LHR in mixed classes but that was to the same redemption zone.

Anyone done this before I give BA a call?

Thanks.
Old Nov 3, 2008, 4:31 am

Originally Posted by mindfields
Hi,
Have a bit of a question on an Amex 2-4-1 redemption. Didn't find a reference on a quick search.

Am planning a redemption to Egypt and was having a look at a side trip to Cyprus as well.

On a single redemption can i combine a CW flight from LHR-CAI then a CE flight from LCA-LHR?
I'd buy a single from CAI-LCA from Cyprus airways or Olympic to complete the open jaw.

I've done an open jaw LHR-SFO and LAX-LHR in mixed classes but that was to the same redemption zone.

Anyone done this before I give BA a call?

Thanks.

I tried a similar thing last year (into DXB & out of HKG) & was told you cannot mix zones......no harm in trying though, you may get lucky
Old Nov 3, 2008, 5:17 am

I've tried this in the past and it wasn't possible, though nobody in reservations knew that until they tried to ticket the flight. This was really annoying as I'd called to check if it was allowed (was told yes), and then bought about £200-worth of extra miles to reach the total. Then when I called back and they tried to complete the booking, computer said no.

I couldn't see it in any of the T&C's either.
Old Nov 3, 2008, 6:30 am

The T&Cs used to specifically mention open jaws; with examples given on how mixed zones were not allowed.

They updated the T&Cs not so long ago to close the loophole whereby people were effectively extending their 241 by doing a token MAN-LHR leg many months prior to the main international outbound leg. It seems like they decided to cut down the open jaw text, but presumably the principle remains inforce.
Old Nov 3, 2008, 7:03 am

System Change?

Last time I was visiting GCM, was booking an outbound to GCM and return from Kingston due to no availability from GCM on the return leg, mentioned to the agent that I would prefer to return from JFK and was told that was now possible as they had a new system. It took a while to go through but I got the reservation at the end of it.
Old Nov 5, 2008, 9:50 am

Programs: BA Gold, Enrich Platinum
BA Amex Companion Voucher - Open Jaw

I have been speaking with BA trying to book the following:

London to Miami - First Class - 4th May 2009

Sao Paolo - London - First Class - 27th May 2009

They confirm that there is availability - however state that as the flights are in different zones - we are unable to book this - I have searched the forum and can't find confirmation of this. So my query - is this the case??

Many Thanks
Old Nov 5, 2008, 9:56 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by RGardens
the flights are in different zones -
Yes
- BA to North America is 50,000
- BA to South America is 70,000

Although nothing in the T&C's about Open Jaws either way.

Last edited by rupert_s; Nov 5, 2008 at 10:00 am Reason: T&C's comment
Old Nov 5, 2008, 10:14 am

Programs: BA Gold, Enrich Platinum
Thanks - I have noted that each leg will require a different amount of miles - which in this case, as travelling in First, would be:

Outbound
London to Miami - 75,000

Returning
Sao Paolo to London - 105,000

giving a total of 180,000 - I have loads of miles so this is not the problem - rather they are refusing to issue the ticket as going out and returning from differing zones is not allowed - although I can't find that anywhere in any terms & conditions

If someone could point me in the right direction I would be very grateful
Old Nov 5, 2008, 10:30 am

Programs: BA, QR, OW loyal.
It is the redemption rules you need to look at, in particular 13.15, which permits open jaws, but not different zone redemptions.

The 241 is in essence an add on to the redemption terms, so I wouldn't expect to see this info in the 241 terms.

https://www.britishairways.com/trave...club/_gf/en_gb

"13.15. Award tickets are subject to IATA fare construction rules. Travel itineraries for Award bookings may start and end at different airports within the same country, or in different countries, provided the two airports are in the same zone. Outbound journeys may terminate at a different airport to the airport where the return journey starts provided the two airports are within the same zone. The different zones are listed in the redemption mileage calculator table on ba.com."
Old Nov 5, 2008, 10:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wot phreegreens said.
Old Nov 5, 2008, 10:32 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, HHonours Diamond, BA AMEX PremPlus
Originally Posted by phreegreens
It is the redemption rules you need to look at, in particular 13.15, which permits open jaws, but not different zone redemptions.

The 241 is in essence an add on to the redemption terms, so I wouldn't expect to see this info in the 241 terms.

https://www.britishairways.com/trave...club/_gf/en_gb

"13.15. Award tickets are subject to IATA fare construction rules. Travel itineraries for Award bookings may start and end at different airports within the same country, or in different countries, provided the two airports are in the same zone. Outbound journeys may terminate at a different airport to the airport where the return journey starts provided the two airports are within the same zone. The different zones are listed in the redemption mileage calculator table on ba.com."
Of course, this never arises as an issue with straight redemptions, because you just book it as two separate redemptions, but this isn't possible with the 241.
Old Nov 5, 2008, 10:43 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, HHonours Diamond, BA AMEX PremPlus
Originally Posted by Sprout
Last time I was visiting GCM, was booking an outbound to GCM and return from Kingston due to no availability from GCM on the return leg, mentioned to the agent that I would prefer to return from JFK and was told that was now possible as they had a new system. It took a while to go through but I got the reservation at the end of it.
Is GCM in a different zone to JFK, though? They're both 50k base miles from the UK and in the same direction.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.