Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why did BA stop seat selection?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13, 2008, 2:47 am

Programs: No longer bothered chasing FF status.
Nor am I a “I will never fly BA again” person.

We really enjoyed flying with BA & were so looking forward to T5 & the new Galleries lounges. But then the impact of their new seating policy came into effect for us, when I missed my silver renewal, we had say farewell to BA.

But, if BA were to reverse, modify or otherwise change their seating policy, to one similar to the way it was a little over a year ago, IIRC, where you could assign your seat at the time of booking, we will most certainly look at BA for future travels

BTW I agree with you Skipcool3 ^

In one of my many past rants about this new seating policy, I predicted a return to seating pre-assignments again, but for a fee & not just for Y either.

So even if they don’t want to go back to the free for all it once was, BA could introduce seat pre-assignments for a charge, at the time of booking. They could even take it further & have a scale of charges, offering a discounted rate to Blue Tier BAEC members.

Those passengers, who couldn’t care less about seating, need not pay the fee & can wait until OLCI or until check-in at the airport. But for those of us that put great importance on seat assignments, we would at least have the option again to do so ^

For the record…… I for one, would happily pay the fee !
Old Oct 13, 2008, 3:02 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by kered

We really enjoyed flying with BA & were so looking forward to T5 & the new Galleries lounges. But then the impact of their new seating policy came into effect for us, when I missed my silver renewal, we had say farewell to BA.

But, if BA were to reverse, modify or otherwise change their seating policy, to one similar to the way it was a little over a year ago, IIRC, where you could assign your seat at the time of booking, we will most certainly look at BA for future travels

In one of my many past rants about this new seating policy, I predicted a return to seating pre-assignments again, but for a fee & not just for Y either.

So even if they don’t want to go back to the free for all it once was, BA could introduce seat pre-assignments for a charge, at the time of booking. They could even take it further & have a scale of charges, offering a discounted rate to Blue Tier BAEC members.

Those passengers, who couldn’t care less about seating, need not pay the fee & can wait until OLCI or until check-in at the airport. But for those of us that put great importance on seat assignments, we would at least have the option again to do so ^

They do offer it for a fee; the fee being the difference between the fare paid and the lowest fare in one of the valid categories

The current seating policy makes it more likely that I will fly on BA since even at the last moment I can get a decent seat which is one of the reasons I am using BA to HKG tomorrow

Dave
Old Oct 13, 2008, 3:06 am

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
....They do offer it for a fee; the fee being the difference between the fare paid and the lowest fare in one of the valid categories
Sorry now, but you've lost me there

Are you talking about the difference in fare between "I" & "J" class being the fee ??

Hold on now, I'm not paying THAT MUCH for seat assignments
Old Oct 13, 2008, 3:16 am

Sorry now, but you've lost me there

Are you talking about the difference in fare between "I" & "J" class being the fee ??

Hold on now, I'm not paying THAT MUCH for seat assignments
Yup. That is the fee for a seat assignment

Or between I and A , that will do it too and can sometimes be cheaper

Dave
Old Oct 13, 2008, 3:21 am

So let's see then.........

A couple of grand per ticket, for seat assignments..........

Ahhhhhhh no thanks
Old Oct 13, 2008, 3:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've changed my mind about the prefixes. How do I change my vote?

We need a prefix: "Topics Done to Death Already"
Old Oct 13, 2008, 3:28 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, HHonours Diamond, BA AMEX PremPlus
Originally Posted by Smirnoff
I've changed my mind about the prefixes. How do I change my vote?

We need a prefix: "Topics Done to Death Already"
What ARE the best seats in F, anyway?
Old Oct 13, 2008, 3:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Teece
What ARE the best seats in F, anyway?
And how much compensation do I get if I get the dodgy lobster?
Old Oct 13, 2008, 3:38 am

Originally Posted by Smirnoff
And how much compensation do I get if I get the dodgy lobster?
Is that with, or without, scorpions? It makes all the difference.
Old Oct 13, 2008, 3:44 am
gms

Programs: BA Gold / GfL, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Gaz
Having one done this (for 4 people) I would NOT recommend it. Vodafone's bargainious roaming data charges at the time (Ł8/mb) meant checking in for the flight cost me more than the ticket itself.
You can also use wifi with many smartphones these days. Increasing numbers of places offer this for free or a small fee.
Old Oct 13, 2008, 3:53 am

Originally Posted by Teece
Is that with, or without, scorpions? It makes all the difference.
Yes but, you'd need to know if that scorpion was irradiated on board in Russia first !
Old Oct 13, 2008, 3:53 am

So let's see then.........

A couple of grand per ticket, for seat assignments..........

Ahhhhhhh no thanks
There is the alternative. get OW sapphire status and be able to select even on an I fare. doesn't take much long haul business/1st travel to get Sapphire status

Dave
Old Oct 13, 2008, 4:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routičres, PCR
There is the alternative. get OW sapphire status and be able to select even on an I fare. doesn't take much long haul business/1st travel to get Sapphire status
Yes, that's right.

You can also earn status using BA's 'cheap' fares, for example with AAdvantage (excluding TATL), which is what I do with my BA shorthaul flights in distress class - no TPs with BA, status-earning with AA.

May also apply to other OW schemes.
Old Oct 13, 2008, 4:45 am

Programs: Lord OPebble - Mucci of the Hour. Diamond Class MUCCI.Chevalier du Circle Intime de Pucci

Just get status - problem solved!
Old Oct 13, 2008, 4:47 am

Dave
Originally Posted by OPebble
Just get status - problem solved!
Have you read the thread? The OP used to have status, missed a renewal, and isn't prepared to pay for D/R/I class fares and not be able to preassign seats whilst they regain it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.