Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why did BA stop seat selection?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11, 2008, 8:13 am

Programs: No longer bothered chasing FF status.
Just stepping back in here to add……….

Originally Posted by G-BOAC
....... They have not stopped seat selection. www.ba.com/seating explains it all. .........
For quite a proportion of passengers, effectively they have
Old Oct 11, 2008, 8:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Originally Posted by kered
That’s all very well & good, for the outbound leg of the journey.

But how are you supposed to OLCI on the return ?

Spend the last day of your holidays frantically trying to get access to some computer somewhere ??

Just so you can get a seat assigned & not risk having yourself & your partner split up on the return flight. Or end up in crappy, bottom of the pile seats.

I don’t think so

Exactly what I’m doing & loving every minute of it

Hi,

Or get your son to get up tomorrow moring at 0330 to OLCI!

My parents are flying back from PHX tomorrow( Sunday) and OLCI opens at 1925 PHX time tonight ( 0325 UK BST)and they are only blue members with no pc access. So I will OLCI for them tomorrow ( and hope to get the window pairs downstairs or hopefully seats on the upper deck ( not necessarily together). Last year on the return flight from PHX they only got the EF seats downstairs ( less private)

Regards

TBS
Old Oct 11, 2008, 8:26 am

Good idea ^

But look at the hassle it causes

Anyway, as has been said, this has been done to death on this board.

But there are many for whom this comes as quite a shock & for some,(includling me), has caused us to turn our back on BA & take our spend elsewhere.
Old Oct 11, 2008, 8:58 am

Programs: BAEC redundant Bronze, AAdvantage Lifetime PLT, CO, WN, B6
Originally Posted by G-BOAC
Sure you've not been at the sauce yourself, HIDDY? PUCCI drove you to it? Blaming other people for your drinking habits...
Or too much exposure to all those Latin girls on the Estancias?
Old Oct 11, 2008, 9:00 am
Gaz

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold, UA Gold
It's a great policy that rewards those that spend the most money on BA. End of.
Old Oct 11, 2008, 9:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routičres, PCR
Originally Posted by Gaz
End of BA?
Old Oct 11, 2008, 9:05 am
Gaz

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold, UA Gold
Forgot to add... if the alternative is a system like United, where anyone seems to be able to select their seats, forget it. When I last looked at booking a Y ticket with UA, a few days out, virtually the whole cabin was already allocated. I couldn't get on early at T-24 to ensure I got a nice seat because they were all assigned. Even as a *G I basically had no option except to book a flight without assigning a seat, turn up at the airport, wave my Gold card around and hope UA didn't put me in SuperMiddle. Didn't fancy that so I flew elsewhere.

Not that UA's system is a bad one, as E+ looks after their own elites very nicely, but I would hate for BA to move to a system where anyone can pre-select on booking. This just penalises those who book late, who often pay the highest fares - nonsense.
Old Oct 11, 2008, 9:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Gaz
Not always sadly, but I shall say no more.
Old Oct 11, 2008, 9:27 am

Originally Posted by Gaz
Forgot to add... if the alternative is a system like United, where anyone seems to be able to select their seats, forget it. When I last looked at booking a Y ticket with UA, a few days out, virtually the whole cabin was already allocated. I couldn't get on early at T-24 to ensure I got a nice seat because they were all assigned. Even as a *G I basically had no option except to book a flight without assigning a seat, turn up at the airport, wave my Gold card around and hope UA didn't put me in SuperMiddle. Didn't fancy that so I flew elsewhere.

Not that UA's system is a bad one, as E+ looks after their own elites very nicely, but I would hate for BA to move to a system where anyone can pre-select on booking. This just penalises those who book late, who often pay the highest fares - nonsense.
You need look no futher than AA for examples of why the BA system treats the most Frequent Flyers better. AA don't have the luxury of E+ so it can be really hard to find a decent seat in the 1-14 day day on some routes.
Old Oct 11, 2008, 9:56 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Marriott Plat, ICH Plat, HH Gold
Originally Posted by bernardd
You need look no futher than AA for examples of why the BA system treats the most Frequent Flyers better. AA don't have the luxury of E+ so it can be really hard to find a decent seat in the 1-14 day day on some routes.
Of course some airlines have 'premium seating', i.e. they block a percentage of the seats in Y which can only be pre-allocated by status pax. Not sure if AA has this, I haven't flown in Y with them yet

BTW: for UA it is now possible to get a decent seat by buying up to E+ via their MMB system. Not an ideal solution but at least an option.
Old Oct 11, 2008, 9:57 am

Originally Posted by Gaz
Not necessarily !

If you’re on a cheapie fare, booked months out in advance & hold a silver card, you get your seat assignment before a high revenue, late booking passenger !! Thereby allowing you snatch one of the "better seats". A late booking passenger paying full fare won't be able to get, say 64K for instance, or in some cases a window pair.

So it won’t always benefit the full fare passenger.

Edited to add.......

FWIW. I do think a policy of blocking out “premium seats” for those who hold status or pay full fare, leaving the rest for everyone else is a fairer policy.

But that’s just my opinion & many others differ ^

Last edited by kered; Oct 11, 2008 at 10:02 am
Old Oct 11, 2008, 10:23 am

Originally Posted by frankvb
Of course some airlines have 'premium seating', i.e. they block a percentage of the seats in Y which can only be pre-allocated by status pax. Not sure if AA has this, I haven't flown in Y with them yet

BTW: for UA it is now possible to get a decent seat by buying up to E+ via their MMB system. Not an ideal solution but at least an option.

AA has a very small number of seats that can only be pre-assigned by elite members. The only option I've found is to check the seat map just after the upgrade windows open, hoping that someone in the upgrade list gets their request to clear and that I can jump in and grab the seat they've vacated. Compared to that, BA is paradise, right up to the 24 hour mark.

Oh, BTW - if you haven't tried AA in coach on domestic routes, well, it's not likely to be an experience that will live fondly in your memories. It feels weird these days that the coach service on Southwest, the granddaddy of the LCC's, is as good, if not better than the 'legacies'.
Old Oct 11, 2008, 10:25 am

Programs: BA Gold, BD *S, VS Gold, AFKL Petro Club
Not necessarily !

If you’re on a cheapie fare, booked months out in advance & hold a silver card, you get your seat assignment before a high revenue, late booking passenger !! Thereby allowing you snatch one of the "better seats". A late booking passenger paying full fare won't be able to get, say 64K for instance, or in some cases a window pair.
But how much money did the silver card holder give to BA to get that shiny piece of plastic in the first place?
Old Oct 11, 2008, 10:27 am

Programs: Demoted to gold, Cats protection
I used to like it when I was EC blue because I had just as much chance of getting the front row seat I wanted in Y as everyone else, never failed in 2 years, you have to be quick on the draw though, some of those seats only become available at T-24 ( I can sleep through anything so the prospect of being nearest to a cot doesnt bother me)
Old Oct 11, 2008, 10:29 am

Not necessarily !

So it won’t always benefit the full fare passenger.

Edited to add.......

FWIW. I do think a policy of blocking out “premium seats” for those who hold status or pay full fare, leaving the rest for everyone else is a fairer policy.

But that’s just my opinion & many others differ ^
Sure a late booking passenger may not always get absolutely the best seats, but most times it beats the choice on AA in the 1-14 day window when a lot of business travel is purchased.

As far as blocking out seats goes, I like the system CO uses for it's coach cabin. If you buy a cheap seat and you don't have status, you can pre-reserve in the back of the bus - typically behind the emergency exit on narrow bodies.

How would this apply to CW though? In general I choose a window seat on the overnight flights because it's easeir to sleep, so what should BA allow discount fare, non-status passengers to select?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.