Wiki Posts
Search

Denied Access to ORD Terraces Lounge

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6, 2008, 5:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United GS 1MM, WN A-List, Marriott LTPPE, CLEAR
Denied Access to ORD Terraces Lounge

Last night I was flying Royal Jordanian in paid C-class from ORD-AMM. The lounge RJ uses in the Alitalia lounge. It was disgusting. I walked the 50 yards back to the Terraces lounge.

The woman behind the desk was on her personal cell phone. After standing there for about 45 seconds, she said, "I guess I'm going to have to go deal with this person." Hangs up and looks at me and says, "Yes."

I hand her my BP and my Silver card and she says, "You can't get in here, you aren't flying British Airways tonight." I said I knew that, but I was a BA Silver on a oneworld flight and that I was allowed access. She said that I wasn't. I could only get in if I was flying BA. I told her that's not what the rules are. She said it was a oneworld rule. I pulled out my iPhone and pulled up the lounge access site and handed it to her. She said, "I don't know what this is you are handing me and frankly I don't care what it says. Goodbye."

And with that, she picked up her cell phone and redialed the number. I went to the gate area and just sat there (it was better than the Alitalia lounge).

What gives? Was I wrong? The lounge rules were pretty clear to me. Will BA even care if I write? Is it worth writing a letter?
Old Oct 6, 2008, 5:17 pm
Suspended

Programs: United 1K, HHonors Gold, MR Gold
I don't see why you were denied access. It looks like the ORD lounge is a BA-operated lounge.
Old Oct 6, 2008, 5:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA LTG + GGL, SPG LTP, HHonors Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador
No, you were right. That is absolutely shocking Even if ORD were not a BA operated setup, the attitude is disgusting. And puzzling as people normally rave about the ORD staff on here IIRC. Yes, I'd write to BA with a factual and calm account.
Old Oct 6, 2008, 5:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by bwicoplat
What gives? Was I wrong? The lounge rules were pretty clear to me. Will BA even care if I write? Is it worth writing a letter?
I believe you were hard done by and should have been allowed access as well as your guest.
Write a letter of complaint about the lounge bag - she sounds a horror to me.
Old Oct 6, 2008, 5:23 pm
Original Poster

Thanks. Just wanted a wee bit of a sanity check before I sent it off. I'll be sure to update when I hear back from BA.
Old Oct 6, 2008, 5:27 pm
Suspended

Programs: Proud owner of 3 Mucci's (yes, 3!) the latest being Chevaliere des Bains Chauds, BA Silver (6 yrs)
No you weren't wrong - horrible treatment and she deserves to be reported to her superiors. Can't believe anyone in a customer service industry can be that rude - dreadful behaviour. How awful you had to slink away and sit at the gate, no doubt feeling pretty fed up, makes me sad to think of it. Do let us know the outcome.

And don't give up on BA - we're not all like that, thankfully
Old Oct 6, 2008, 5:36 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TG Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Plat
Is ORD one of the lounges where they employ third party lounge staff "pretending to be BA staff" who do not know the rules? The BA lounge in DFW is like this.

I am sure there has been postings here before which indicate that these staff do not work for BA and are told very limited rules about who can use the rules. They do what they are told and they are not told a lot. This is why they are so bored and disinterested in their role. They are a glorified fridge restocker on minimum wage. They will not read the rules and really could not care less.

I think the joke at the time was that a Gold card member were told they could use the lounge but a pax is with a FIRST BP without status were told they could not use the lounge.

They do wear BA uniforms while manning the desk which is very misleading. Does BA not realise what harm this does as premium pax go up to the agent to ask various questions and are given a blank look with the comment that the BA staff member will be there 30 mins before the flight time. It does not give a good impression to premium pax that BA know what they are doing. At least, if they are told not to wear BA uniforms, they will at least be viewed as third party lounge staff that BA could at least distant themselves from.

You have to contact the BA flight staffer who is BA staff to does know the rules to speak to the lounge staff to let you in. This person is normally manning the BA check-in desk trouble shooting where required.
Old Oct 6, 2008, 5:41 pm
Original Poster

I thought about going to the gate and asking for help there, but thought there was no way a BA gate agent would overrule a BA lounge agent. I didn't realize they were Swissport or whatever. All of the RJ staff at ORD was Swissport, but you are right, she had on BA attire, so I assumed she was BA. Lesson learned. We'll see what BA has to say.
Old Oct 6, 2008, 5:50 pm

Programs: BAEC, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Gold Passport, Tesco clubcard!
if this happens to anyone anywhere, ask to speak to the supervisor on duty or even the Airport duty manager for BA, who should know the rules.... or at least listen to you.

The individual was wrong and rude to suggest that. Did you get their name?

Well, the supervisor would correct the individual and then also allow you access to thelounge once the matter had been sorted....

Dont give up so easily next time....

its sometimes easier to resolve on the day rather than contact customer relations... but you could always do that as well afterwards...
Old Oct 6, 2008, 6:04 pm
Gaz

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold, UA Gold
You really needed to push that one harder... hard I know if you're not sure though. Asking for a supervisor, or to see a copy of the lounge access rules (the majority have these in a folder showing the different cards and requirements), etc.

Anyway, write to BA, and I wouldn't be surprised if you got some miles out of it.
Old Oct 6, 2008, 6:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
Last night I was flying Royal Jordanian in paid C-class from ORD-AMM. The lounge RJ uses in the Alitalia lounge. It was disgusting. I walked the 50 yards back to the Terraces lounge.

The woman behind the desk was on her personal cell phone. After standing there for about 45 seconds, she said, "I guess I'm going to have to go deal with this person." Hangs up and looks at me and says, "Yes."

I hand her my BP and my Silver card and she says, "You can't get in here, you aren't flying British Airways tonight." I said I knew that, but I was a BA Silver on a oneworld flight and that I was allowed access. She said that I wasn't. I could only get in if I was flying BA. I told her that's not what the rules are. She said it was a oneworld rule. I pulled out my iPhone and pulled up the lounge access site and handed it to her. She said, "I don't know what this is you are handing me and frankly I don't care what it says. Goodbye."

And with that, she picked up her cell phone and redialed the number. I went to the gate area and just sat there (it was better than the Alitalia lounge).

Wow, that's abysmal!

I've had one member of staff at IAD last year tell me that she would 'let me in this one time' when as a Gold I was flying United. I politely told her about Open Doors showing her the notation in her lounge access policy. She was actually grateful for me showing her the correct rule Pity this wasn't the case in this situation
Old Oct 6, 2008, 6:20 pm

The OP has an ironclad complaint.

FWIW, I always carry a printed copy of the lounge access rules for both OneWorld and Star Alliance whenever I travel.

I've only had to resort to the printouts 3 or 4 times, but it always works like a charm.
Old Oct 6, 2008, 6:41 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by KenJohn
Is ORD one of the lounges where they employ third party lounge staff "pretending to be BA staff" who do not know the rules? The BA lounge in DFW is like this.

I am sure there has been postings here before which indicate that these staff do not work for BA and are told very limited rules about who can use the rules. They do what they are told and they are not told a lot. This is why they are so bored and disinterested in their role. They are a glorified fridge restocker on minimum wage. They will not read the rules and really could not care less.
They are employed by BA- all of the BA lounge and check-in staff at ORD work directly for the company.

This is a real shame- ORD is one of my favourite outstations largely due to the staff. Sounds like this one needs to be kicked into shape and quick.

To the OP- I will PM you the mailing address for the ORD back office, and suggest you write to them and cc Customer Relations letting them know of your unfortunate experience.
Old Oct 6, 2008, 6:57 pm
Gaz

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold, UA Gold
Er, another good tactic, if you're definitely not getting in, is to say - very nicely - "Oh, sure, no problem - could you just let me know your name? Only because I will be writing to BA to complain about this as it's a published benefit, and will need to give them as much information as possible".

I've found lots of customer-service people in a variety of industries suddenly feel the need to double-check facts that they were 100% sure of a few minutes earlier, when you point out that a letter mentioning them by name will be on the way.
Old Oct 6, 2008, 7:12 pm

Originally Posted by Gaz
Er, another good tactic, if you're definitely not getting in, is to say - very nicely - "Oh, sure, no problem - could you just let me know your name? Only because I will be writing to BA to complain about this as it's a published benefit, and will need to give them as much information as possible".
A cell phone photo of the lounge dragon helps too.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.