Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Dispatches programme 13th Oct: The trouble with BA

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6, 2008, 3:15 pm
Original Poster

I just saw this advertised on Channel 4 (After a very enlightening programme on lapdancing). It's going to expose all BA's trouble in the last year. And in HD too!
Old Oct 6, 2008, 4:56 pm

Programs: BAEC redundant Bronze, AAdvantage Lifetime PLT, CO, WN, B6
Originally Posted by ramraideruk
I just saw this advertised on Channel 4 (After a very enlightening programme on lapdancing). It's going to expose all BA's trouble in the last year. And in HD too!

BA is exposing itself? OK, so BA can solve all it's problems with pole dancers to entertain the predominantly male premium passenger? Was that the path Sir Beardy wanted to go down when he started his flying massage parlours?

Well, finally the mist is clearing and at last I can see it all. Isn't BA due for a revamp of the First cabin? Henceforth it will presumably be re-branded as Madame Pucci's, with a dedicated member of staff to collect the Luncheon Vouchers. Five Mile High club? Not a problem my Dear - on a good day you we might take you up to eight!

I don't doubt profits, not to mention one or two other things, will be firmly up! Being an Equal Opportunites employer I assume there will entertainment for all persuasions, not to mention a good sprinkling of ethnicities.

I can only speculate on the role Willie Walsh is planning for himself?
Old Oct 7, 2008, 1:49 am

Judging by Dispatches usual standard of sensationalist journalism...I'm sure that there will be nothing new in there!

Probably a couple of disgruntled employees stating what we already know.
Old Oct 7, 2008, 2:10 am

According to listings it will focus on how BA can no longer get away with giving the extras for "free".
Old Oct 7, 2008, 2:27 am

Programs: BA: Silver,
Originally Posted by traveller5
According to listings it will focus on how BA can no longer get away with giving the extras for "free".
...And thereby opening the door for the introduction of them...
Old Oct 8, 2008, 2:54 pm

Did anyone just see the trailer?

I suspect that the documentary will be interesting but will come to conclusions that are out of date or losing their relevance.
Old Oct 8, 2008, 2:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA LTG + GGL, SPG LTP, HHonors Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador
Originally Posted by Singapore_Air
Did anyone just see the trailer?
Are you kidding?! They are running it nearly every bloody advert break and it's deeply annoying I've never heard the Flower Duet so many times...and it's actually on my iPod!

(My view somewhat coloured by working at home with various C4 channels on most of the day in the background so I've probably suffered it more than most!).
Old Oct 9, 2008, 1:42 am
Original Poster

I'm sure the Daily Mail are rubbing their hands with glee.
Old Oct 9, 2008, 2:25 am

Programs: BA Gold, several other less interesting cards...
Originally Posted by paulrc
Judging by Dispatches usual standard of sensationalist journalism...I'm sure that there will be nothing new in there!

Probably a couple of disgruntled employees stating what we already know.
You can be sure of that:

Originally Posted by Dispatches Website
What's The Trouble With British Airways?

It was once "the world's favourite airline", but Dispatches asks if the sun is setting on another great British institution.

Statistics volunteered by airlines reveal British Airways has mislaid more bags per passenger than any of its major European rivals since 2006. In the past 18 months BA has been caught price-fixing and suffered a disastrous opening to Terminal 5 at Heathrow.

The film features figures suggesting BA has cancelled more flights than any of its main European competitors so far this year. At the most challenging crossroads in aviation history, Dispatches assesses the reputation of our national flag carrier.
Old Oct 9, 2008, 3:19 am

Programs: BA Blue, IC Spire Ambassador
I am not going to judge the programme until I have watched it, however much I would like to

It does seem strange that they are looking at things like lost luggage, which is now much less of an issue through T5.

I remember the programme "Ryanair: caught napping" a few years ago that raised some issues with FR and was, on balance, a fairly good documentary, despite being somewhat sensationalist. Compare this to the BBC's "The day Britain stopped" that aired many moons ago, which I found to be pretty unbelievable.

I'm going to sit on the fence and reserve judgement.
Old Oct 9, 2008, 6:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by IAMORGAN
It does seem strange that they are looking at things like lost luggage, which is now much less of an issue through T5.
Which explains the timing: they've obviously got to get this programme out quickly, before the T5 stats start getting published.
Old Oct 9, 2008, 7:14 am

Originally Posted by IAMORGAN
I'm going to sit on the fence and reserve judgement.
Me too. Although it may not be much of a field, Dispatches is probably the best documentary strand on television. For those who think it is sensationalist, I can only imagine what you think of the new Panorama.
Old Oct 13, 2008, 1:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So, what's the verdict then?
Old Oct 13, 2008, 1:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routières, PCR
Nothing spurious so far (20:20)..
Old Oct 13, 2008, 1:24 pm

Programs: GGL
Rubbish programme, of course '08 stats are skewed because of T5.

Then there is this couple that went to NY for a weekend and they were put on a later flight and arrive ~11pm in NY instead of early afternoon. After complaining they got £1000 compensation!!! I couldn't believe it, and they still complain! No status, economy etc. £1K, wow.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.