Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

(About to be) Involuntary downgraded - help

Old Sep 22, 08, 1:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Executive Club

I'm sat in Galleries South at LHR (if you're here, I'm the one looking miserable - at least they let me in) and I've been involuntary downgraded to WT+ on tonight's 21:45 BA0247 LHR-EZE.

I thought there may be a problem when I couldn't on-line check-in (see other thread)

It's not final yet - check-in closes at 21:00, but it looks pretty overbooked, so assuming I end up flying in the back, what am I entitled to? What should I ask for?

I can delay my arrival by 12 hours or so, but I need to get there tomorrow evening. I paid personally (not my employer) so I want to travel in Club if at all possible rather than receive cash. I only have a Blue BAEC card as I only recently started flying BA (I have flights booked that will get Silver in a month's time and if I continue at this rate, Gold this time next year - though given this experience that is looking increasingly unlikely, although the chap at the check-in desk was very polite and helpful). I paid on a BA Amex and I have an Amex platinum for insurance.

At the moment I am wishing I had booked with Lufthansa, which was 700 cheaper and flew from my regional airport!
Old Sep 22, 08, 1:41 pm

Programs: QF Platinum (OW Emerald); QF Lifestime Silver; BD Diamond Club Gold (*A Gold)
You're right about the availability point: zero'd out in all classes. While not uncommon for high yield South America routes, though I am surprised by this on the EZE route. If you were downgraded at check-in, a bad sign, I'm afraid.
Old Sep 22, 08, 1:49 pm

Programs: BAEC (gold), HHonors (lowest), Marriot (lowest), Accor (Silver)
That's a bad move dude! I'm sitting in Galleries T5B right now, marvelling at the quietness!
I'm on the 2115 JNB... but was always in WT+!
Old Sep 22, 08, 1:51 pm

Good god, thats possibly the worst route for it to happen on too. I feel really bad for you. Any chance of a complete refund and getting over to CDG for the 2315 AF flight? (unfortunately the LHR-CDG flight leaves in 15mins!)
Old Sep 22, 08, 2:00 pm
Original Poster

I'll head over to T5B then (it goes from T5B I'm told).

Unfortunately it was booked on an "R" bucket, otherwise I'd have cancelled it there and then and rebooked on Air France for £2400. There is a TAM flight later on, but I really don;t know if I want to risk that - I might be better off with compensation!
Old Sep 22, 08, 2:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC/IB
You seem to be taking it all rather calmly - It's time for you to take a stand and firmly tell them you shall NOT be travelling in anything other than CW. Be polite but firm with them unless the compo is of a very generous nature.Don't make it easy for them to find a scapegoat..
Old Sep 22, 08, 2:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HIDDY View Post
You seem to be taking it all rather calmly - It's time for you to take a stand and firmly tell them you shall NOT be travelling in anything other than CW. Be polite but firm with them unless the compo is of a very generous nature.Don't make it easy for them to find a scapegoat..
Exactly. Stand up and DEMAND what you paid for.
Old Sep 22, 08, 2:09 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Carbon Conscious Travel

I don't know if an IB alternative appeals, or even if seats are available this late in the day:

Leaving LHR tomorrow AM; arriving EZE approx 10 hours after BA247
BA 7053 ; LHR-MAD ; 07:25-10:45 (Airbus A321 operated by IB)
IB 6845 ; MAD-EZE ; 12:25-19:40 (Airbus A346)

Good luck!
Old Sep 22, 08, 2:18 pm

When this happens your booking class becomes irrelevant. BA should offer to move you to another carrier, if not you can take a refund regardless of the ticket conditions.
Old Sep 22, 08, 2:24 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, GF, EK, WY
Looks like a non-starter, sadly.

[KVS Availability Tool 3.3.0/Platinum - Sabre: ITN/UK-ASB]
Code:
MAD  Madrid Barajas ES [LEMD]
EZE  Buenos Aires Ministro Pistarini BA AR [SAEZ]
TUE  23 Sep 2008

Carrier   Flight From Depart    To   Arrive    A/C  St   Availability
--------- ------ ---- --------- ---- --------- ---- ---- ----------------------------------------- 
IB        6843   MAD  01:25     EZE  08:40          0    J4 D0 I4 Y0 B0 H0 K0 M0 L0 V0 S0 N0 Q0 O0
IB        6845   MAD  12:25     EZE  19:40          0    J0 D0 I0 Y0 B0 H0 K0 M0 L0 V0 S0 N0 Q0 O0
Old Sep 22, 08, 2:35 pm
Original Poster

I don't see what I can do. I've spoke to half a dozen people, all of whom tell me I'll be entitled to compensation if I don't fly club - but if the seats are oversold then someone isn't going. It's all very well shouting, but other than a bit of embarrasment, what will it achieve - who actually has the authority to bump someone else and let me on? If shouting will help, I'll shout!

If I can get them to give me a (confirmed) upgrade to First on the way back, plus the 75% EU compensation plus the €600/€800 visa card that I've heard about, I might settle for that and fly with them again in future - otherwise, does it hurt them more to have them move me to another carrier and put me up overnight (and do I get a choice of where they put me up)? Do I get a choice of airline (and which airlines should I avoid choosing)?

What happens if a passenger refuses to board as the gates are closing and they have checked baggage (is that a lever)?

I'll go to the desk at 9pm.

EDIT: For any of you who are thinking I'm heartless - I wouldn't be so cruel to the other passengers unless BA had gone out of their way to p*ss me off - and when I found out thwere was a problem I decided not to check my carry-on anyway.

Last edited by dmahon; Sep 22, 08 at 2:53 pm
Old Sep 22, 08, 2:41 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, GF, EK, WY
Fromthe CAA website

This page provides information for passengers who have been downgraded

Under EU law, if you have been downgraded to a class lower than that for which you paid on a flight from an EU airport or on an EU carrier flying from an airport outside the EU to an EU airport then you are entitled to:

Length of journey Reimbursement

up to 1500km 30% of the price of ticket

1500-3500km 50% of price of ticket

more than 3500km 75% of price of ticket
Article 10
Upgrading and Downgrading

1. If an operating air carrier places a passenger in a class higher than that for which the ticket was purchased, it may not request any supplementary payment.
2. If an operating air carrier places a passenger in a class lower than that for which the ticket was purchased, it shall within seven days, by the means provided for in Article 7(3), reimburse
(a) 30 % of the price of the ticket for all flights of 1500 kilometres or less, or
(b) 50 % of the price of the ticket for all intra-Community flights of more than 1500 kilometres, except flights between the European territory of the Member States and the French overseas departments, and for all other flights between 1500 and 3500 kilometres, or
(c) 75 % of the price of the ticket for all flights not falling under (a) or (b), including flights between the European territory of the Member States and the French overseas departments.

3. The compensation referred to in paragraph 1 shall be paid in cash, by electronic bank transfer, bank orders or bank cheques or, with the signed agreement of the passenger, in travel vouchers and/or other services.
Old Sep 22, 08, 2:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC/IB
FWIW......TAM's J product is pretty good and I found the seat a lot more comfortable than CW.
Old Sep 22, 08, 2:55 pm

Originally Posted by dmahon View Post
if the seats are oversold then someone isn't going. It's all very well shouting, but other than a bit of embarrasment, what will it achieve
Thumbs up for not taking the DYKWIA approoach.

All up I'm minded to agree with you. If there are 52 (or whatever) J seats and 55 pax then someone isn't going to be flying J.
Old Sep 22, 08, 2:58 pm

If they are really overbooked, it has worked for me in similar cases to get a simple reroute. Say you will accept the downgrade but ask that they place you at LH flight tomorrow (plus hotel plus some compensation) or the AF flight. This way you can also ensure double dipping as you will still be entitled to your original routing credit. If they are heavily overbooked, they should be happy to do (refer to future flights and that you may as well rebook those).

Search this Thread
Search Engine: