Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

(About to be) Involuntary downgraded - help

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

(About to be) Involuntary downgraded - help

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23, 2008, 9:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As posted above, I had an attempted inoluntary downgrade (Gold) so status doesn't always count.
Old Sep 23, 2008, 9:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Executive Club
I am here in EZE after a rather awful flight. I was told that 17 (yes, seventeen) passengers were downgraded from CW or rebooked and this obviously rolled backwards down the plane. There were several other people in the same situation as me that are attending the same conference in EZE. As well as travelling to conferences ourselves, several of us are involved with organising them (usually with a few thousand delegates and a large swathe of industry people tagging along) and I think it unlikely that BA will be the suggested airline if they p*ss off the organising committee). At check in every other passenger boarding the plane was beeping when the boarding card was scanned and they were been taken aside and offered a little blue envelope containing a VISA card. I was also told that a gold card holder from First was also bumped down into CW, so you are not immune!

When I first heard (at check in) that there was a problem, I enquired about a rerouting via Air France (I was a bit converned, given that someone recently called them Air Chance) and was told that was possible - but it was likely that I would be upgraded at boarding so I sat tight. If they had told me just how overbooked it was, I would have taken the offer before it became too late.

I was sat next to someone else that had been bumped and the guy behind me had also been bumped. The guy on the other side of me happened to be someone I knew, with his wife (yes, they sat me in the centre section, in the middle). I chatted to the guy next to me and it tuned out that his two companions had managed to stay in club world, despite having no status and having paid a lower fare than me. They did check in a few minutes earlier (but weren't allocated a ticket). None of us had been able to OLCI.

The crew were OK, but obviously busy and all we managed to get was a few glasses of champagne when we asked for them. The crew from GRU-EZE were exceptionally nice however, and I managed, along with a lot of other passengers (presumably bumped but continuing to EZE), to get moved forward for the final leg. After I asked the CSD, they also moved my friend and his wife forward too. I have never flown WT+ before, but I found it little different to WT and I wouldn't recommend bothering with it. I paid for Club because I have a busy few days ahead of me and didn't want to arrive with a stiff neck. In addition the AVOD was broken and the reading lights in the entire cabin section were broke - either permanently on or permanently off!

I paid just over £3200 for my ticket. I received a £200 ex-gratia payment on a visa card (which I don't seem able to get to work in the local cash machines - but I can't get my own card to work either). I signed for it and added "I am not waiving my rights to EU compensation". I enquired about an upgrade to First on the return journey and was told that it will be added against my name should space be available, but the guys on the desk at T5B didn't really seem that sincere and I don't think they were adept with the ticketing system. I have also mentioned it to the ground staff at EZE although I don't think they have as much leeway to do things as those at LHR - though the girl I spoke to said she would try, and she is on duty when I return on Sunday.

All in all, if I get my 75% back, the £200 off the VISA card, some miles and an upgrade to First (or rather more miles instead) then I will continue to book BA. If I don't, I will try Lufthansa, KLM and Air France, who all fly to their main hubs from my regional airport and thereafter round the world.
Old Sep 23, 2008, 10:03 am

Programs: BA - Gold for Life, CCR & GGL; IC Spire Elite Ambassador; Diamond Hilton Honors; Hyatt Discoverist
Sorry to read about your experience - unpleasant at anytime but especially so on such a long flight and when you are travelling for business.

I have found Customer Relations very responsive in the last 12 months, so hopefully they will treat you very favourably indeed.

I hope that your return journey is less stressful and much more comfortable!
Old Sep 23, 2008, 10:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by TravellerFrequently
I have found Customer Relations very responsive in the last 12 months, so hopefully they will treat you very favourably indeed.
I've also been astonished by the reactions that I've had from Customer Relations over various things, so I also hope that they will sort you out satisfactorily.

It just goes to show, though: when it goes wrong, it can go wrong spectacularly. I'm always amazed that it doesn't happen more often.
Old Sep 23, 2008, 10:21 am
Original Poster

Well, BA have replied quickly to my complaint (within 30 minutes): Here is their reply to my complaint regarding involuntary downgrading and my request for compensation of 75% of my ticket price:

Dear Mr Mahon
Thank you for coming back to us about your claim for compensation.

Compensation payments under EU regulation 261/2004 are only made in the event of a cancellation. If a flight suffers a long delay, depending on the length of the flight, British Airways is obliged to provide care at the airport, such as meals, refreshments and hotel accommodation if an overnight stop is required. For further information please visit www.ba.com.

I'm afraid I cannot offer you any compensation, as you were denied boarding. I am sorry for the disruption caused to you, and I hope this information helps you to understand our decision.
In your letter you requested reimbursement for your ticket. This will be dealt with separately and you will hear from us soon.
Best regards

EU Compensation Claims
I have now quoted the advice from the CAA web page in my reply and suggest she contacts her supervisor and the legal team if she is giving out incorrect advice.

EDIT: Oops, missed the fact that they would deal with the reimbursement seperately. I have already sent an apology for my sharpness (and told them it is due to my awful experience on their flight). Still, she could have acknowldged that the EU regs also provide for payments for involuntary downgrading.

Last edited by dmahon; Sep 23, 2008 at 10:40 am Reason: Name deleted
Old Sep 23, 2008, 10:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Originally Posted by Petrus
My thought too. Is it not the case Gate Agents should call on the PA, asking for volounteers? Or is this just for bumps?

Clearly BA's system is configured to automatically suggest PAX for downgrades when a flight is oversold. However, is it legal to simply downgrade, without checking for volounteers?
It'd be a lot cheaper (goodwill as well as monetary) that way. The US DOT holds a fire to the feet of U.S. airlines for IDB which is why they give somewhat generous bump incentives (something regulators outside the U.S. don't do). I got a $1,000 travel voucher out of AA for an oversold MIA-GRU years ago, + confirmed UG the next day.
Old Sep 23, 2008, 10:33 am

Programs: BAEC (Gold)
Originally Posted by dmahon
Well, BA have replied quickly to my complaint (within 30 minutes): Here is their reply to my complaint regarding involuntary downgrading and my request for compensation (not reimbursement) of 75% of my ticket price:

[/I]

I have now quoted the advice from the CAA web page in my reply and suggest she contacts her supervisor and the legal team if she is giving out incorrect advice.
Is this not just confusion between reimbursement (of 75% - should happen automatically) and compensation (fixed fees)?
Old Sep 23, 2008, 10:36 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I received a £200 ex-gratia payment on a visa card (which I don't seem able to get to work in the local cash machines - but I can't get my own card to work either).
Welcome to Argentina dmahon at least the weather is sunny and warm.

The Visa cash card if it has been activated should work okay by using the pin supplied we were given one last year and had no problem using it - try any ATM showing the Visa symbol. The ATM's of both Banco de la Nacion or Banco de la Provincia de Buenos Aires should accept your own personal card as they have the Cirrus option.

Enjoy your stay. ^
Old Sep 23, 2008, 10:41 am

Programs: BA : Virgin
For me the BIG question relates to "more than 3500km == 75% of price of ticket"

What exactly is the definition of a 'ticket'

Is it one way / two way / inc fuel surcharges / in taxes etc etc

and what happens if it is a Miles Ticket ?? - Does it then become 75% of the Miles ?

EDIT : AskBA seems to define a 'ticket' as the 'sector' - but they do not define the 'fare' as inc oe ex taxes, fuel charges etc etc - and again is it a fair assumption that a downgraded miles ticket would refund 75% of the 'sector' mileage used to purchase the trip : i.e. a LHR-LAX one way downgrade from Club to WT+ would result in 37,500 miles being given back ?!?

If we are unable to accommodate you in the class for which you booked to travel, you will receive immediate compensation at the airport in the form of cash or voucher for further transportation.
In addition, the person who purchased your ticket should contact the office where the ticket was purchased to claim a reimbursement of a percentage of the sector fare where the downgrade occurred.

Last edited by Quebec5; Sep 23, 2008 at 10:53 am Reason: Update
Old Sep 23, 2008, 10:42 am

Well, BA have replied quickly to my complaint (within 30 minutes): Here is their reply to my complaint regarding involuntary downgrading and my request for compensation of 75% of my ticket price
Oh dear, what a shocking communication from BA.

It's like the bad old days of ask BAngalore. I thought those days were behind us.

And 17 downgrades. The revenue management team screwed that up royally.
Old Sep 23, 2008, 10:43 am
Original Poster

Thanks. I will go outside in a minute for a short walk.

I was worried initially with "reimbursement" that they would try and fob me off with (3200/2)-(todays cost of a one way ticket in WT+) i.e. nothing. The EU regs actually use the word reimbursement though, so we'll see if there is a cheque waiting for me on my return.
Old Sep 23, 2008, 11:38 am
Gaz

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold, UA Gold
Originally Posted by The Saint
And 17 downgrades. The revenue management team screwed that up royally.
With this many downgrades, was there nothing they could have done prior to the day of the flight - ie: contacting customers, seeing if any were willing to travel a day earlier or later, or on a different carrier? 17 is a lot - surely they ccould have foreseen this problem and attempted to deal with it earlier.
Old Sep 23, 2008, 11:40 am

Programs: QF Plat & LTG, VA Plat
Originally Posted by Gaz
With this many downgrades, was there nothing they could have done prior to the day of the flight - ie: contacting customers, seeing if any were willing to travel a day earlier or later, or on a different carrier? 17 is a lot - surely they ccould have foreseen this problem and attempted to deal with it earlier.
Maybe the Nigerian Royal Family turned up at the last second again
Seriously, if it was 17 that does sound like a right c0ckup, although none of us are really surprised either...
Old Sep 23, 2008, 12:02 pm

Programs: BAEC (Gold)
Originally Posted by Quebec5
For me the BIG question relates to "more than 3500km == 75% of price of ticket"

What exactly is the definition of a 'ticket'

Is it one way / two way / inc fuel surcharges / in taxes etc etc

and what happens if it is a Miles Ticket ?? - Does it then become 75% of the Miles ?
If you want a really helpful answer, have a look at Question 27 in

http://ec.europa.eu/transport/air_po...q_and_a_en.pdf

The footnote and the text are not as consistent as they might be...
Old Sep 23, 2008, 12:29 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by HIDDY
Welcome to Argentina dmahon at least the weather is sunny and warm.

The Visa cash card if it has been activated should work okay by using the pin supplied we were given one last year and had no problem using it - try any ATM showing the Visa symbol. The ATM's of both Banco de la Nacion or Banco de la Provincia de Buenos Aires should accept your own personal card as they have the Cirrus option.

Enjoy your stay. ^
Thanks - worked out the problem now - the machine only seems to allow a maximum withdrawl of 320 pesos. I'm not quite sure how far that will get me, but it will have to do for this evening!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.