Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

(About to be) Involuntary downgraded - help

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

(About to be) Involuntary downgraded - help

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22, 2008, 1:59 pm

Programs: IB plus Platinum, JK Gold, BAEC Silver, LH Senator, PC Platinum Ambassador
Any luck at the desk??
Old Sep 22, 2008, 2:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dmahon
I don't see what I can do. I've spoke to half a dozen people, all of whom tell me I'll be entitled to compensation if I don't fly club - but if the seats are oversold then someone isn't going. It's all very well shouting, but other than a bit of embarrasment, what will it achieve - who actually has the authority to bump someone else and let me on? If shouting will help, I'll shout!

What happens if a passenger refuses to board as the gates are closing and they have checked baggage (is that a lever)?

I'll go to the desk at 9pm.
That's what you should do. The flight WILL go out, and any (minor) delay will be made up in the (very long) cruise. You will just extract more out of them...
I never advocated shouting. Just making their life bloody difficult and refusing to fly in anything lower than the class you have paid for (on another airline if need be).
Old Sep 22, 2008, 2:02 pm
MBX

It's all very well shouting, but other than a bit of embarrasment, what will it achieve - who actually has the authority to bump someone else and let me on? If shouting will help, I'll shout!
Please don't.

I agree you should be firm and tell them in no uncertain terms that you won't be flying WT+ but shouting won't get you anywhere.
Old Sep 22, 2008, 2:02 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, GF, EK, WY
From ba.com:

Question
What am I entitled to if I am downgraded due to a cabin overbooking?
Answer
If we are unable to accommodate you in the class for which you booked to travel, you will receive immediate compensation at the airport in the form of cash or voucher for further transportation.
In addition, the person who purchased your ticket should contact the office where the ticket was purchased to claim a reimbursement of a percentage of the sector fare where the downgrade occurred.

And the JJ (TAM) flight to RIO is maxed out up front.
Old Sep 22, 2008, 2:09 pm

That's what you should do. The flight WILL go out, and any (minor) delay will be made up in the (very long) cruise. You will just extract more out of them...
Well for a start we dont carry fuel to make up delays en route, so all you'd be doing is delaying 290 other people. I suspect if you refuse travel at the gate BA will just cancel the ticket.
Old Sep 22, 2008, 2:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

exMAD, there's space on IB (not a lot), AR (more than enough), and A7 (you don't want to fly them) tomorrow.
Old Sep 22, 2008, 2:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Executive Club
Nothin else will get me there tomorrow, expept Iberia in the evening (and I don't want to fly Iberia), so I'll have to go in WT+ and be miserable.

Once again they were very apologetic, but seemed unable to actually do anything. They've given me a poxy credit card to withdraw £200, but when I signed for it I signed that I wasn't waiving my right to EU compensation. I bought the ticket from BA (web sale) using my BA Amex card, how do I approach them for my 75% refund?

I asked them if they could put a note against my name for an upgrade on the way home, and make sure I am bumped back up for the short run in to EZE from GRU but we will see what happens.

I will be considering my future with BA very carefully, there is a possibility that we will part company after I have flown the booked flights (which, ironically, will give me status).
Old Sep 22, 2008, 2:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Jumbodriver
Well for a start we dont carry fuel to make up delays en route, so all you'd be doing is delaying 290 other people. I suspect if you refuse travel at the gate BA will just cancel the ticket.
I'm sure there's a bit of padding involved tho.
From a legal perspective, BA has already broken the contract, so I'd say the only likely difference is going to be needing to write a couple of nasty letters before you get the fare paid to another airline.
Old Sep 22, 2008, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Nothin else will get me there tomorrow, expept Iberia in the evening (and I don't want to fly Iberia), so I'll have to go in WT+ and be miserable.
There is space on LH510, departing FRA at 10:20 arriving EZE 19:10.
Old Sep 22, 2008, 2:16 pm

Originally Posted by HIDDY
You seem to be taking it all rather calmly - It's time for you to take a stand and firmly tell them you shall NOT be travelling in anything other than CW. Be polite but firm with them unless the compo is of a very generous nature.Don't make it easy for them to find a scapegoat..
Thanks HIDDY, that would be me that you are making it difficult for normally . We never put this onto anyone unless the flight is genuinely oversold and I am afraid it is not a case of finding a scapegoat. It will be the person with the least status or no pre assigned seat. The Club World cabin is of a finite size and no matter how much we hate downgrading anyone there is nothing that can be done if the cabin is oversold. Sadly there is no room for forceful negotiation, as there is nothing that the staff can do other than wait and see if someone with a pre assigned seat fails to check in by -45 or fails conformance by -35. The choice is blunt, WT+, or another flight. I and my colleagues hate having to tell a customer that, but we will always try to do it in the most sympathetic way. And yes we do understand that it is upsetting and and how annoyed and disappointed people are by downgrades, but making my life hard does not actually change the situation it just makes it less amiable for everyone, the customer included.
Old Sep 22, 2008, 2:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

You say you think you may be downgraded, do you have a WT+ BP?

If not I reckon you still have a pretty good chance of not being downgraded. I would have thought they would bump the GRU pax first as there are daily flights to GRU and the next one to EZE isn't till Wednesday.
Old Sep 22, 2008, 2:17 pm

Originally Posted by graraps
I'm sure there's a bit of padding involved tho.
From a legal perspective, BA has already broken the contract, so I'd say the only likely difference is going to be needing to write a couple of nasty letters before you get the fare paid to another airline.
No, the contract is subject to oversales, substitutions etc and downgrades or it would not be legal business practice. It doesn't make it very nice, but it is all there, sadly......
Old Sep 22, 2008, 2:18 pm

Programs: Lord OPebble - Mucci of the Hour. Diamond Class MUCCI.Chevalier du Circle Intime de Pucci
Originally Posted by graraps
From a legal perspective, BA has already broken the contract.
ISTR from the Which Magazine or similar, that airline contracts don't promise a particular flight or timing, just that they will get you from A to B - sometime!
Old Sep 22, 2008, 2:19 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, GF, EK, WY
I bought the ticket from BA (web sale) using my BA Amex card, how do I approach them for my 75% refund?
Customer Relations 0844 493 0 787 (from the UK)
Fax: +44 (0)20 8759 4314
Monday-Friday 08:00-18:30

British Airways
Customer
Relations (S506)
PO Box 5619
Sudbury
Suffolk
CO10 2PG

Online form for UK residents

I asked them if they could put a note against my name for an upgrade on the way home,
Fingers x'd ^ And that you'll be waited on hand & foot, even back in WT+
Old Sep 22, 2008, 2:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by adrianjc32
The Club World cabin is of a finite size and no matter how much we hate downgrading anyone there is nothing that can be done if the cabin is oversold. The choice is blunt, WT+, or another flight.
My impression and (thankfully not recent!) personal experience of BA is that they're far from proactive in terms of giving pax access to another (non-BA) flight in cases of oversell/misconnect and so on...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.