Search

Completely OT! : Melatonin

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9, 2008, 3:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC
Completely OT! : Melatonin

Dear All,

I know it is very hard to obtain in the UK but seems available in the USA.

Has anybody flying long-haul taken Melatonin?
Is any particular brand better than another?
Does it really relief the effects of Jet Lag?

Many thanks,
Old Sep 9, 2008, 3:52 pm

Programs: BA/BD Gold/IC A/*Wood Gold - Certified BodyCombat and BodyPump Instructor
Used to do it ages ago. Gave it up. Felt too groggy and not heard too much good about it.

Now I just get p!ssed on the plane.
Old Sep 9, 2008, 4:09 pm

Location: 15 minutes west of LHR, Stockholm, or somewhere inbetween.
Programs: BAEC Gold GGL, CCR, GfL, Mucci des Recherches des Consommations Exotiques.
Originally Posted by LHR Tim
That's my man.

bjorns
Old Sep 9, 2008, 4:15 pm

Programs: BA Au; IHG Pl; Hyatt Au; IC RA; Marriott Pl
I regularly listen to Melatonin on long haul flights

(spot the obscure radiohead reference)
Old Sep 9, 2008, 5:34 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TG Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by clansey1973
I know it is very hard to obtain in the UK but seems available in the USA.
You need a doctor's prescription in the UK. Cannot be sold without one

Has anybody flying long-haul taken Melatonin?
Yes

Is any particular brand better than another?
Melatonin is a generic product. Do not think brands matter. Some are of higher dosage than others.

Does it really relief the effects of Jet Lag?
As far as I am concern, it reduces the possibility of you waking up after a short sleep, so you get a longer uninterupted sleep to aid with the time zone changes. Does reduce the effects of Jet Lag per se. However, as long as you get sufficient sleep, you get over Jet Lag faster.
Old Sep 9, 2008, 6:51 pm

Programs: AA PLT/2MM, PriorityClub Platinum
Seems to work for me - I use it on JFK-HKG and JFK-AMM flights pretty frequently. Ambien makes me hazy, but not sleepy, booze gives me a hangover, Tylenol PM (diphenhydramine) gives me a headache, melotonin seems to work. It's generic and widely available here in the US.

I find it works best if taken at least two hours before you want to get to sleep (e.g. when preparing to board, so you can fall asleep after the meal service), and doesn't have much of a hangover effect. YMMV.
Old Sep 9, 2008, 7:10 pm

Programs: BA Gold - A3 Gold - FB Gold - IHG Plat - SPG Gold -Hyatt Platinum
It works for me. If sometime you`re in Buenos Aires, buy some "Buenas Noches" (no prescription) It works better than the others.
Old Sep 9, 2008, 9:04 pm

Programs: BA Silver, FI, AC
As sculler1x said, melatonin should be taken a couple of hours before sleep. Ideally the person who's taken it should be in a darkened room / plane in order to trick the epiphysis into thinking it's time for sleep, so get that mask on.

When flying in W I've found Superdrug's Quiet Night or Boots' Sleep Well tablets to work rather well, as valerian is a decent hypnotic. Half a glass of red to wash them down with a result of a bit of restful sleep.
Old Sep 10, 2008, 1:17 am

Programs: AA EXP 2 MM
Melatonin is available in all drug stores and health food shops in the US: make sure you buy the maximum dose tablets (3 Mg). It can also be purchased by mail order from outside the US (for example from amazon.com).

I once read some research which showed that not everybody reported a reduction in jet lag with melatonin, but it works for me! Particularly helps avoid waking up in the middle of the night on the first night in the US from Europe.

When returning from the US, according to some research, daylight before the middle of the night will extend the current day for your body clock, rather than starting a new one. So jet lag will be reduced by avoiding an early morning arrival, and taking a late flight to Europe that gets in in the middle of the day. This also works for me.

Last edited by nbevan; Sep 10, 2008 at 1:50 am Reason: typo
Old Sep 10, 2008, 1:38 am

Programs: BA Silver
I've found if your not tired when you take it you get a cracking headache. Although that might have been the wine to try and assist the sleeping
Old Sep 10, 2008, 1:47 am

Programs: BA Gold
I've used it in the past. More so when I arrive at a destination (States/Asia) to ensure I get a good nights sleep as invariably I have to work the next day. It doesn't eliminate jet lag, but it certainly helps you sleep a few hours longer without waking up at stupid 'o' clock.

I have tried it on a plane, and it doesn't seem to have made too much of a difference...mind you I rarely get to travel in J so I'm sure that plays a part.
Old Sep 10, 2008, 1:47 am

Programs: AA EXP 2 MM
Originally Posted by gonesouth
I've found if your not tired when you take it you get a cracking headache. Although that might have been the wine to try and assist the sleeping
I often find myself washing down the melatonin with my wine: the perfect combination to get to sleep!
Old Sep 10, 2008, 2:21 am

Programs: BA Silver, HHonours Gold, Mucci of Pucci, Oyster Card, Nectar Card, Father's Day Card
Originally Posted by LHR Tim
Used to do it ages ago. Gave it up. Felt too groggy and not heard too much good about it.

Same here - found that it made me sleep but I woke up feeling like I had a hang over - so I thought I might as well have the plonk as well......
Old Sep 10, 2008, 3:53 am

Programs: BAEC Gold; Priority Club Gold
Certainly works for me. I use the Melapure dual release tablets that I buy in the airport at Hong Kong. This releases a reasonably large initial dose to help you to get to sleep, then a slow amount over the next few hours to keep you there. I have found it to be far more effective than any other approach (e.g. sleeping tablets, alcohol, exercise) - for example on Sunday last week I returned from New Zealand (the journey and time zone change from hell), but was able to function fully at work on Monday.

I don't notice any substantial side effects and also find it easy to stop taking them after three or four days.
Old Sep 10, 2008, 4:03 am

Programs: BA Silv/Bron/Silv/Bron/Bron/Bron/Silver... Bronze.... Blue (in more ways than one)
I recently tried Melatonin on a trip back from MIA. I didn't get a moment's sleep, as I could only get W. However...

When I landed I went straight into the office planning to do only half a day. 3 things happened..

1. Everyone in the office laughed at my bright red lips. They were so red they thought I was wearing lipstick (which confused everyone because I'm a bloke)
2. I stayed in the office until after 6 without aid of coffee, pro-plus etc
3. Stayed awake until a normal time, and woke up the next morning feeling absolutely fine

..i.e. the first time in my life I have not experienced jet lag in any way whatsoever.

As such I intend to buy some melatonin when back in the US next week, but slightly worried about the lips. Has anyone else had this experience?

Last edited by Rick A 1; Sep 10, 2008 at 4:05 am Reason: Small spelling malfunction

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.