Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Completely OT! : Melatonin

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10, 2008, 4:06 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold;BA GGL; hhonors lifetime diamond; Marriott lt Gold; IH Plat Amb; Amex Centurion
The only thing that worries me about sleeping aids generally is the risk of being unable to function properly in an emergency. You could of course argue that alcohol has exactly the same effect
Old Sep 10, 2008, 4:07 am

Programs: BA Silver, UA Gold
Originally Posted by Rick A 1
Has anyone else had this experience?
Er, no. But now I am at least wise to the possibility.
Old Sep 10, 2008, 6:02 am

Programs: AAdv GLD(MM), QF LTS, UA MP_nada, HH Gld, SPG, GoldenCircle Jade
I tried it a while back and found it had almost no effect on me - possibly the dosage was too small.

The other drug to consider (this by prescription only) is Rozerem - it's not a Melotonin but related - it's a melatonin receptor agonist (it enhances the body's ability to absorb melatonin in my lay person's understanding). I have found it works great - taken 30-45 minutes before you want to sleep. It is not addictive and does not have any side effects. Unlike traditional tablets it's not a sedative.
Old Sep 10, 2008, 7:38 am
Gaz

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold, UA Gold
I never take any sort of sleeping aid on a plane (apart from a few glasses of wine), but flying SIN-FRA recently on LH, a mate slipped me a Valium, and feeling unusually daring, I thought "why not". Last thing I remember was thinking "it's not working" about an hour out of SIN, before I found myself being shaken awake by the FA just before landing in FRA.

Er, don't know about the Melatonin though
Old Sep 10, 2008, 8:49 am

Programs: BA Gold (GGL), SPG Gold
I'm generally against the idea of sleeping pills, but gave melatonin a go. I use it once in a while and have found it works (2mg dose).

The sleep you get (if it works for you) is very deep, and I've found I've had vivid dreams. I looked into it, and this is a potential side effect, but I did really enjoy the deep sleep!
Old Sep 10, 2008, 8:50 am

Programs: Meh!
Originally Posted by clansey1973
I know it is very hard to obtain in the UK but seems available in the USA.
Originally Posted by KenJohn
You need a doctor's prescription in the UK. Cannot be sold without one
Unless you google it - in which case its easy to buy in the UK. See Biovea for example.
Old Sep 10, 2008, 9:07 am

Programs: AA PLT
Originally Posted by Gaz
I never take any sort of sleeping aid on a plane (apart from a few glasses of wine), but flying SIN-FRA recently on LH, a mate slipped me a Valium
It's a very bad idea to take Valium out of the country, some countries regard it as a serious class A drug. If you don't declare it and are caught you could have some serious charges (or bribes) to deal with.

Unlikely to be found but not worth the risk.
Old Sep 10, 2008, 9:25 am

Programs: AS MVPG 100k
Originally Posted by clansey1973
Dear All,

I know it is very hard to obtain in the UK but seems available in the USA.

Has anybody flying long-haul taken Melatonin?
Is any particular brand better than another?
Does it really relief the effects of Jet Lag?

Many thanks,
I use it every time I switch more than a couple of time zones. I take one each evening an hour or 2 before I turn in (usually when I get back from dinner and start on my email).

I take it for around 3 days after I switch time zones, on the first night sometimes in combination with a sleepaid (mild anti-histamine).

My personal experinece is that it does not help me get to sleep (hence the sleep aid on the first night), but it is a big help in keeping me asleep all night - eliminating the waking up at 4am that I otherwise suffer from, especially after flying east. YMMV.

You can buy it at pretty much any convenience store in US airports.

Originally Posted by cabinfever
I'm generally against the idea of sleeping pills, but gave melatonin a go. I use it once in a while and have found it works (2mg dose).
Melatonin is not really a sleeping pill. It is a hormone that helps regulate your body clock. Taking Melatonin helps reset your body clock to a new time zone.
Old Sep 10, 2008, 9:32 am
Gaz

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold, UA Gold
Originally Posted by EchoIndia
It's a very bad idea to take Valium out of the country, some countries regard it as a serious class A drug. If you don't declare it and are caught you could have some serious charges (or bribes) to deal with.

Unlikely to be found but not worth the risk.
Oops, better watch that. I didn't actually carry it around at any time and don't plan on taking it again. I think he bought them in Thailand
Old Sep 10, 2008, 9:41 am

Programs: BA Gold (GGL), SPG Gold
Originally Posted by dgwright99
Melatonin is not really a sleeping pill. It is a hormone that helps regulate your body clock. Taking Melatonin helps reset your body clock to a new time zone.
Yeah, sorry I didn't explain correctly. I've never taking a sleeping pill and the only reason I tried melatonin was because it was a naturally occuring hormone.
Old Sep 10, 2008, 10:00 am

Programs: BA Gold, TG Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by Halo
Unless you google it - in which case its easy to buy in the UK. See Biovea for example.
Which is why I just love this forum. You get to learn about ..... everything.
Old Sep 10, 2008, 10:17 am

Originally Posted by LHR Tim
Used to do it ages ago. Gave it up. Felt too groggy and not heard too much good about it.

Now I just get p!ssed on the plane.
Twenty years ago I used to do everything that was recommended to avoid jet lag on long-hauls. No alcohol, no caffeine, light meals, adjusting my sleep schedule days in advance. - None of it worked.

Now I drink like a fish, eat like a horse and I'm still jet-lagged - but I have a lot more fun.
Old Sep 10, 2008, 10:25 am
Suspended

Programs: United 1K, HHonors Gold, MR Gold
Mr Canuck and I both take melatonin to help with jet lag on long haul trips. It doesn't work for everyone, but it works for us. What I like about is that it just makes me feel sleepy, not sedated. If I wake up mid-flight, I'm no groggier than I would otherwise be and I have to change planes, I feel completely alert. I also take melatonin (usually just one 3 mg pill, instead of the 2 I sometimes take on the plane) for a couple of nights after I arrive at my destination. It seems to help me fall asleep more quickly, to stay asleep or, if I wake up in the middle of the night, to fall back asleep.

Rick A 1 - If I were you, I would be concerned about the reaction - red lips could be a sign that something affected your circulation. You wouldn't want to experience a more serious reaction the next time.
Old Sep 10, 2008, 10:26 am

Programs: BA Gold (and many other greater and lesser distinctions)
Originally Posted by LHR Tim
Used to do it ages ago. Gave it up. Felt too groggy and not heard too much good about it.

Now I just get p!ssed on the plane.
Agree with the first part. I have now switched to a large Blue Label, a hot chocolate with whipped cream and ear plugs, all at the same time !!
Old Sep 10, 2008, 10:29 am

Hard core drugs work best. Melatonin puts me into a very deep sleep for about 90 minutes but then I seem to wake up. But it's best not use anything.

Like most things in life, the best plan is to, well, have a plan. Plan to be tired when you need to be asleep, so if if flying red eye from the east coast to Europe leaving at 7 or 8 in the evening, make sure you have very full day prior to getting on board. Get up early. Get some exercise, cane it in the hotel gym for a couple of hours. Have a couple of drinks, but don't get sh!tfaced. Have something to eat, but don't stuff yourself. But when you know you have to be asleep, be asleep. You're best placed to do that if you've planned your day to be tired at the right time.

The best sleep comes as a response to fatigue rather than pharmacology. Sleeping tablets are best used to escape the cares of life when feeling a bit weepy or depressed, not to try to force sleep to come when belting through the skies at 39,000 feet.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.