Punctuality Promise Scam!!

Old Aug 29, 08, 5:21 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, BMI Silver, Marriott Platinum, IHG Platinum, Hilton HHonors Silver
Punctuality Promise Scam!!

Well BA1336 LHR/NCL 1810 flight actually moved off the stand at 1828 so thought great heres my first 5000 miles from this promotion .... get home and what do I find on the Flight Information ... its recorded as 1825.

Hmmmm ... I lived with the BA1334 tactics last week whereby we left the gate 10 minutes behind schedule but then sat 30 yards from the gate not moving for another 10 minutes.

But tonight time reording is just invention on BAs behalf ....

Anyone experienced anything similar?
Old Aug 29, 08, 6:34 pm

I had no idea that BA ran by your personal watch.....
Old Aug 29, 08, 6:37 pm

Programs: BA - Gold, BD - Gold, SPG - Gold, HH - Gold
Originally Posted by adrianjc32 View Post
A little harsh
Old Aug 29, 08, 7:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC/IB
Originally Posted by vSFU View Post
A little harsh
Hardly harsh - bet if you checked ten peoples watches you would have a hard job getting any with the exact correct time.

I would say the OP calling it a scam is being a bit harsh.

How do they define the time of departure anyway?

Is it as I think when push back begins or when the door is shut? If the flight crew release the brake and it rolls backwards an inch does that count as a push back?
Old Aug 29, 08, 8:38 pm

Location: AA Lifetime PLT , BA Silver , BD RIP , HH Gold, SPG / Marriott PLT , EF Subscriber
Guys the OP is on a 25 Quid LHR-NCL Ticket and he's just had 30 Quids worth of food and booze in the Galleries..now he wants 60 Quids worth of miles.

These Airlines are Scam Artists rolling in Cash ask Zoom.
Old Aug 29, 08, 8:59 pm

Programs: BA - Blue
Originally Posted by UncleDude View Post
Guys the OP is on a 25 Quid LHR-NCL Ticket and he's just had 30 Quids worth of food and booze in the Galleries..now he wants 60 Quids worth of miles.

These Airlines are Scam Artists rolling in Cash ask Zoom.
I think this is a little harsh. I don't fly UK domestic, but the days of GBP25 tickets are probably a little while back (I'm guessing -- happy to be proven wrong).

Re: the point about 'who's watch' is correct, valid points made, but many mobile phones now have an auto-time feature, which automatically adjusts the time when e.g. changing time zones. I have to admit, this is rather more accurate than my swiss-made watch. So quite a few business travellers these days might well have access to accurate time-keeping.

This of course, is not addressing the issue of BA's rather shameless (and incorrectly advertised) publicity campaign -- I wonder whether anyone has taken it up via the ASA since v. few flights will have 'taken off' on time!

tb
Old Aug 29, 08, 9:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC/IB
Originally Posted by trueblu View Post
I wonder whether anyone has taken it up via the ASA since v. few flights will have 'taken off' on time!
As long as they land on time or within 15 minutes late who really cares?
Old Aug 29, 08, 10:02 pm

Programs: BA - Blue
Originally Posted by HIDDY View Post
As long as they land on time or within 15 minutes late who really cares?
I personally "don't care" in the sense that this promotion doesn't affect me anyway, since I don't fly the routes covered. But I do think the campaign is rather disisgenuous. I believe that punctuality has improved post T5, some much the more reason for BA to cough up if they are late.

tb
Old Aug 30, 08, 1:09 am

Programs: BA GGL, VS Gold, BD Gold, Flying Blue Platinum, IC RA, Hilton Diamond, Eurostar Carte Blanche
I personally "don't care" in the sense that this promotion doesn't affect me anyway, since I don't fly the routes covered. But I do think the campaign is rather disisgenuous. I believe that punctuality has improved post T5, some much the more reason for BA to cough up if they are late.

tb
I have had had two "qualifying" flights for this campaign where we have pushed back over 15 minutes late and the Flight Information on ba.com confirmed this.

I received an email from the EC for one of them saying the 5000 miles will be credited to my account by September 12th but not for the other. When I rang the EC the girl said she wasn't even aware of the campaign but she tried to excuse this by saying she has been on holiday for a week I politely pointed out this campaign started on 30th July - where do they get these people.

I will now wait until September 13th before calling again, to see what shows up.
Old Aug 30, 08, 2:38 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by adrianjc32 View Post
A stopped watch is accurate twice a day
Old Aug 30, 08, 2:48 am

Programs: BA,BD,VS,ANA
From the T&Cs

#3 A Qualifying Flight is a fully flexible or semi flexible published or net corporate fare in Domestic, Euro Traveller or Club Europe in any of the booking classes J, C, D, Y, B and H scheduled to depart from London Heathrow Terminal 5, which is purchased and ticketed in the United Kingdom. To be sure of purchasing a Qualifying Flight on ba.com please select “Flexible conditions” as your ticket type.
#4 Subject to clause 5, in the event that a Qualifying Flight is delayed in its departure by more than 15 minutes of the scheduled departure flight time, an email will be sent to the registered address of all Eligible Participants who have boarded the flight notifying them that 5,000 bonus BA Miles will be credited to their Executive Club account.
#5 British Airways reserves the right to exclude at its discretion any flights where disruption occurs beyond the reasonable control of British Airways. Non–exhaustive examples include severe weather conditions and their ongoing or consequent effects, air traffic control delays and industrial action.

I've had a couple of flights I thought would qualify, but haven't received email confirmation. I also heard someone from BA on the radio, stating the punctuality stats for the "90% on-time" ad campaign, only cover up to 14:00 every day. I wonder if this is another condition of the promotion.
Old Aug 30, 08, 4:08 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, BMI Silver, Marriott Platinum, IHG Platinum, Hilton HHonors Silver
Does uncle dude still fly BA?? Or did he just buy his gold card?

Clearly he has not seen that fully flex domestics are now 400+
Old Aug 30, 08, 4:46 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Carbon Conscious Travel

Originally Posted by john_r06 View Post
Clearly he has not seen that fully flex domestics are now 400+
They are indeed and at the other end of the spectrum, the days of the sub 100 LHR domestic returns are now over.
Old Aug 30, 08, 12:43 pm

Programs: BA Gold
I think this is a little harsh. I don't fly UK domestic, but the days of GBP25 tickets are probably a little while back (I'm guessing -- happy to be proven wrong).

Re: the point about 'who's watch' is correct, valid points made, but many mobile phones now have an auto-time feature, which automatically adjusts the time when e.g. changing time zones. I have to admit, this is rather more accurate than my swiss-made watch. So quite a few business travellers these days might well have access to accurate time-keeping.

This of course, is not addressing the issue of BA's rather shameless (and incorrectly advertised) publicity campaign -- I wonder whether anyone has taken it up via the ASA since v. few flights will have 'taken off' on time!

tb
The 'Auto Time' feature that you mention pretty much updates your time zone with the network that you are currently connected to.

It does not however guarantee that it is accurate.

It will be as accurate as the clock on that particular network which I can assure you can sometimes be way off and may certainly differ from network to network and more importantly could easily be out by the 3 minutes that you are quibbling over and calling a 'Scam'.

Calling this a scam just because it didnt go your way is very harsh.... all IMHO of course !

MS
Old Aug 30, 08, 1:13 pm

The times will be triggered by the parking brake being released sending what is effectively a text message. The times will be from the captains clock which in turn is set to the GPS time (ie the US military) on most aircraft. The brakes may be released a minute or two before movement due various factors such as aircraft passing behind, chocks stuck under wheels etc. But the brakes cant be released until the aircraft is ready to move.

Search this Thread