Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Punctuality Promise Scam!!

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2008, 10:10 am

Programs: Lord OPebble - Mucci of the Hour. Diamond Class MUCCI.Chevalier du Circle Intime de Pucci
Originally Posted by BA1A
Is that cronjobs as in Unix MileHighLayer? Do I detect a techie background
Depends are we talking Bourne Shell or Korn Shell?????

Don't dig any deeper - that's about all I can remember from 15 years ago of being a UNIX sysadmin.
Old Aug 31, 2008, 10:16 am

Programs: BA GGL, VS Gold, BD Gold, Flying Blue Platinum, IC RA, Hilton Diamond, Eurostar Carte Blanche
Originally Posted by OPebble
Depends are we talking Bourne Shell or Korn Shell?????

Don't dig any deeper - that's about all I can remember from 15 years ago of being a UNIX sysadmin.
What no C Shell and "Hello World"?

Always preferred AIX myself ^
Old Aug 31, 2008, 10:43 am

Originally Posted by BA1A
What no C Shell and "Hello World"?

Always preferred AIX myself ^
A friend of mine bought a t-shirt from the Armani International eXchange which was emblazoned with AIX as a logo.

"You can't wear that in the street!" I protested... "You'll be mocked by geeks".
"No I won't" came the reply.. "Nobody will know what you're talking about".

He was right. Nobody said anything all evening. Perhaps the geeks were at home reading their favourite websites.

But back to the thread... I shall ignore the question of whether mobile phones are updated by a signal from NTP servers. However... Doesn't the fact remain that given the T's and C's of this "promise" I'd imagine the number of people who'd actually qualify for money back to be very low anyway.
Old Aug 31, 2008, 3:24 pm

Programs: BA,BD,VS,ANA
ok, i'll bite.....

There are only 10 types of people in the world —
those who understand binary and those who don't.
Old Sep 1, 2008, 3:01 pm

Programs: EK Gold
Originally Posted by MileHighLawyer
You're quite right. The little hampsters turning the clock wheel deep inside mobile phone operators' core networks are probably suffering over-exposure to crazy frog ringtones.

A far less likely story is that UK mobile operators synchronise their clocks with multiple NTP servers very regularly (primarily to ensure compliance with Ofcom's general condition of entitlement governing metering and billing and also for interconnect billing purposes) and furthermore send an NTP update to mobile phones at least once every 10 minutes in line with GSMA best practice guidelines.
Interesting ..... I run two mobile devices one on Orange the other on Voda, both set to auto update and they are never in sync

MS

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.