Lounge entry: is a baby considered a guess?

Old Aug 29, 08, 9:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Spire Amb, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC
Lounge entry: is a baby considered a guest?

Never really looked into this before, but with a new born at home I was wondering what the policy was regarding entry into the Galleries and Galleries First when traveling with kids.
Say we were traveling Y or J would I be able to take both Mrs. Clubman and Miss Clubman into the First lounge? Or would they make me leave a little baby outside...

I did look at ba.com but found no exact info on there.

Cheers!

Last edited by clubman; Aug 29, 08 at 9:48 am
Old Aug 29, 08, 9:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Platinum Ambassador
I'm not 100% sure on this, but I would imagine that both Mrs and Miss Clubman could access the lounge as guests. You are Gold, after all.
Old Aug 29, 08, 9:37 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
Couldn't you stuff her in a bag going through reception, and hope no-one notices?

Would seem a particularly harsh interpretation of the rules if you couldn't take her in
Old Aug 29, 08, 9:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Spire Amb, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Jenbel View Post
Couldn't you stuff her in a bag going through reception, and hope no-one notices?
Trust me, with her screaming, there is no way...
Old Aug 29, 08, 9:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC/IB
I'm sure even the Lounge Dragons wouldn't have heart to say no to you bringing the wee one in. - Just keep her away from the booze.
Old Aug 29, 08, 10:14 am

Programs: MUCCI
Originally Posted by HIDDY View Post
I'm sure even the Lounge Dragons wouldn't have heart to say no to you bringing the wee one in. - Just keep her away from the booze.
While I have no first hand experience of this, the idea of counting a baby-on-lap passenger as the 1 guest (and not just viewing them as an extension of the passenger they are with) would be too extreme.

I can't imagine the dragons would say no, but it would obviously be better if it was documented on ba.com etc.

Additionally I think that young tots who do have their own seat should ALSO be considered as extensions of the adult passenger up to a given age (perhaps related back to the ticket rules ages?) and should not be considered as taking up the guest space.

And even after that common sense leeway should be used.
- I've seen families take the pi$$ successfully (6 'adult' people on 1 or 2 silver cards with three of them rowdy!) but I've also seen families sadly excluded - 2 silver cards been refused entry for 2 adults + 3 x 10-15 year old very calm and tranquil children.
Old Aug 29, 08, 10:26 am

In my recent experience a baby is not treated as a guest and is welcomed in, so you should have no problems. Congratulations on the new arrival, by the way
Old Aug 29, 08, 10:26 am

Programs: BAEC, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Gold Passport, Tesco clubcard!
Originally Posted by HIDDY View Post
Babies are not normally counted as guests... its just when they start growing up a bit then it becomes a problem.... That is also a grey area as it depends on what age you would consider an "adult guest" and at what age you would consider them to be inelgible.....I have even seen some kids of around 10 or 11 years old come in with their families and that the kids themselves have silver cards.... Whether this is allowed or not or a mistake by exec club but if they have silver cards then ..... well.... maybe someone else should answer thsi one as it brings up another matter.....
Old Aug 29, 08, 10:51 am
SLF

Programs: Various
Originally Posted by lhrworker View Post
the kids themselves have silver cards.... Whether this is allowed or not or a mistake by exec club
not sure what you mean here ... my son was silver at age 3, a fully earned 600 TPs
Old Aug 29, 08, 10:56 am

Programs: AA gold, UA Premier, HH Gold, *wood gold, PC gold
Originally Posted by clubman View Post
Trust me, with her screaming, there is no way...
In that case, I wonder what the other lounge patons would consider her..... and you for bringing her in.
Old Aug 29, 08, 11:20 am

Programs: MUCCI
Originally Posted by lhrworker View Post
I have even seen some kids of around 10 or 11 years old come in with their families and that the kids themselves have silver cards.... Whether this is allowed or not or a mistake by exec club but if they have silver cards then ..... well.... maybe someone else should answer thsi one as it brings up another matter.....
As far as I am aware BA (and ba.com) makes this perfectly clear: Children must be accompanied in the lounge by an adult. Where children have their own entitlement to lounge access and are accompanied by an adult who does not, then that adult counts as a guest.
(or words to that effect)
Old Aug 29, 08, 12:19 pm

Programs: BAEC, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Gold Passport, Tesco clubcard!
Originally Posted by SLF View Post
not sure what you mean here ... my son was silver at age 3, a fully earned 600 TPs
The minimum age fo exec club members is 18 due to alcohol being served in the lounges so unless the "child card holder" is with an adult they will be declined entry..... People under the age of 18 will only be given membership as long as its part of a household account and then mileage accured can be pooled together.....

See this link.....

http://www.britishairways.com/travel...imit+exec+club
Old Aug 29, 08, 12:21 pm

Originally Posted by David-A View Post
As far as I am aware BA (and ba.com) makes this perfectly clear: Children must be accompanied in the lounge by an adult. Where children have their own entitlement to lounge access and are accompanied by an adult who does not, then that adult counts as a guest.
(or words to that effect)
yes they would be the guest but would obviously have to go in with the child.
Old Sep 16, 08, 7:32 am

Programs: EI AerClub Concierge, EK Gold, BA Silver, BD Gold (Retired), HHonors Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by clubman View Post
Never really looked into this before, but with a new born at home I was wondering what the policy was regarding entry into the Galleries and Galleries First when traveling with kids.
Say we were traveling Y or J would I be able to take both Mrs. Clubman and Miss Clubman into the First lounge? Or would they make me leave a little baby outside...
Some recent experience - 1 Gold + non-status spouse + non-status infant

T5 Galleries First - welcomed in with no questions asked

LGW First - allowed in but it was pointed out that infant did count as an an extra guest and access was granted only because lounge was largely empty
Old Sep 17, 08, 7:23 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
My experience has always been that no-one actually quite knows what the rules are on this, but I've always asked politely and have always been allowed in.

One lounge dragon actually thanked me for being polite enough to ask !

I dare say it will be different as little miss gets older, or when little miss v2 comes along in December ... that might be pushing it a bit.

Search this Thread