Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Astounding BA generosity to Zoom passengers!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2008, 4:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR

From ba.com:

"Following Zoom’s announcement that they have suspended operations, British Airways is offering a special one-way fare of half the usual return price for customers who have been stranded."

Way to go guys!
Old Aug 29, 2008, 4:51 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Raffles
From ba.com:

"Following Zoom’s announcement that they have suspended operations, British Airways is offering a special one-way fare of half the usual return price for customers who have been stranded."

Way to go guys!
Call me cynical, but that depends on what their "usual return price" is.
Old Aug 29, 2008, 4:59 am

Programs: BA Gold, TG Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Plat
A one way ticket is normally full fare and can be more expensive than a restricted Economy return ticket

Suspect it is a restricted Economy return fare code although usual the BA communications/press department have not expressed this in the clearest manner.
Old Aug 29, 2008, 5:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KenJohn
A one way ticket is normally full fare and can be more expensive than a restricted Economy return ticket
I know that ... but only because BA chooses to set its prices in that rip-off way. Although, to be fair, BA is pretty unique amongst European flag-carriers in offering one-way tickets on intra-Europe routes so we should be grateful for some things (albeit forced on them by EasyJet et al).

Assuming Zoom has a similar number of people stranded on either side of the pond, BA is not giving up any revenue with this offer. 10,000 one-way seats sold at half-the-discounted-return makes them exactly the same amount of revenue as 5,000 standard return flights.

If they offered to match the fare pax had paid Zoom (which they will get back from their credit card issuer) then it would be a generous gesture.
Old Aug 29, 2008, 5:13 am

Programs: BA Gold(OWE), QF LTG, MR Plat, IHG Spire, Hertz PC
I know that ... but only because BA chooses to set its prices in that rip-off way. Although, to be fair, BA is pretty unique amongst European flag-carriers in offering one-way tickets on intra-Europe routes so we should be grateful for some things (albeit forced on them by EasyJet et al).
BMI (BD) do too...

For example, last week I had to book a family member on a one way far from LHR to CPH. Interestingly BD were happy to sell a cheap LHR-CPH one way fare on SK metal, yet this was not possible by booking directly with SK.
Old Aug 29, 2008, 5:21 am

Programs: BA GGL, VS Gold, BD Gold, Flying Blue Platinum, IC RA, Hilton Diamond, Eurostar Carte Blanche
VS offering "special" fares too but are better at PR than BA - note the cheeky line about "we are currently very busy"

Virgin Atlantic is offering special one way fares between London Heathrow and all of our USA destinations for passengers who were booked on Zoom Airlines, which has now ceased trading.

Stranded Zoom passengers, with proof of future travel on Zoom, should contact Virgin Atlantic on 0870 380 2007 or visit any Virgin Atlantic airport ticket desk in the UK or USA.

Please be advised Virgin Atlantic flights are currently very busy, however Virgin Atlantic representatives will do their all to assist in accommodating Zoom customers travel plans.

Further information will become available on Friday 29th August.

BA have aslo added:

BA will also give a discount from its current World Offer fares to those passengers booked on Zoom but yet to travel.
Old Aug 29, 2008, 5:25 am

Programs: BA silver, VS, Jet, Carlson gold, Amex Plat
to be fair, BA is pretty unique amongst European flag-carriers in offering one-way tickets on intra-Europe routes so we should be grateful for some things (albeit forced on them by EasyJet et al).
Lufthansa also offer one-way tickets intra-Europe (or at least UK-Germany) and its sometimes cheaper to book 2 singles than a return!
Old Aug 29, 2008, 6:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by abfab
Lufthansa also offer one-way tickets intra-Europe (or at least UK-Germany) and its sometimes cheaper to book 2 singles than a return!
Only on some routes. Lufty wanted Ł500 for a one-way to Pisa / Florence when I checked this week, BA wanted Ł72.
Old Aug 29, 2008, 6:33 am

I'm at a loss to imagine how VS is going to come to the rescue. Did Zoom fly to anywhere that is also served by VS, or is Beardie expecting the stranded pax to fly to a VS gateway to get on one of their "very busy" flights?
Old Aug 29, 2008, 6:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by The Saint
I'm at a loss to imagine how VS is going to come to the rescue. Did Zoom fly to anywhere that is also served by VS, or is Beardie expecting the stranded pax to fly to a VS gateway to get on one of their "very busy" flights?
FLL (for MIA) and JFK.....

Also I think they went to San Diego, which isn't that far from LAX.
Old Aug 29, 2008, 6:44 am

Programs: Marriott (Lifetime Titantium), whatever other programs as benefits make sense.
Virgin Atlantic doesn't fly to Canada, but I guess passengers would at least be able to get from the UK to North America, and then... I dunno, take a Greyhound bus from there?
Old Aug 29, 2008, 7:21 am

From an article in The Times:

But Helen Steel, who spent all day yesterday at Glasgow airport waiting for a flight to Canada which never took off, said that BA staff appeared to be unaware of any "special fares" and were demanding £2,500 per passenger.
Old Sep 1, 2008, 10:43 am

Programs: SK*G, BA Silver, Flying Blue, VLM, VT Traveller, PC Platinum, BW Diamond
Originally Posted by macabus

But Helen Steel, who spent all day yesterday at Glasgow airport waiting for a flight to Canada which never took off, said that BA staff appeared to be unaware of any "special fares" and were demanding Ł2,500 per passenger.
FFS! How the hell is it on the website etc and the groundstaff dont know anything about it. It honestly amazes me how BA run some of their operations...
Old Sep 1, 2008, 10:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by globalste
FFS! How the hell is it on the website etc and the groundstaff dont know anything about it. It honestly amazes me how BA run some of their operations...
Note the "yesterday" in the article. It is quite possible that the commercial policy had not yet been decided upon, let alone communicated to agents in the field at the time.
Old Sep 1, 2008, 10:59 am

Location: AA Lifetime PLT , BA Silver , BD RIP , HH Gold, SPG / Marriott PLT , EF Subscriber
Originally Posted by macabus

But Helen Steel, who spent all day yesterday at Glasgow airport waiting for a flight to Canada which never took off, said that BA staff appeared to be unaware of any "special fares" and were demanding £2,500 per passenger.
Does BA have any staff at Glasgow Airport? After all Scotland was the birthplace of Mr Bell and I understand these telephone things are here to stay.

Of course what we dont know was, if the connecting flights from London to Canada were heavily book perhaps only High priced Business Class seats were available.

As with all media there are always 2 sides to the story.

Last edited by UncleDude; Sep 1, 2008 at 12:16 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.