Changing EC second name

Old Aug 28, 08, 2:44 am
Original Poster

Changing EC second name

I hope there's a simple answer for this query.

I'm getting married next year and want to book an F redemption for me and my future wife through our household account. It's nine months to the day and we want to book this asap. I'll be booking her ticket in her new second name, so I guess this has to be changed on the EC asap so the booking will go through.

Has anyone had any experience with changing this through BAEC?

Also, what if between now and then the future Mrs Motors wants to travel using her account? It'll have her future surname and presumably will not be accepted till after the big day.
Old Aug 28, 08, 3:30 am

Programs: Mucci Grandee (Upgraded), BA Silver, AZ MilleMiglia
I haven't done this before, but wouldn't the easiest way be to set her new identity up as another member of your household account?

Create her as a new person, with a new BAEC number (blue status). So you'd have three members: Mr Motors, Miss XYZ, and Mrs Motors.

Then redeem the miles for the benefit of Mr Motors and Mrs Motors.

Before you get married, she can use her Miss XYZ card to earn and redeem miles (for pre-marital trips).

After your honeymoon, remove Mrs Motors, who won't have done much (a blue card holder who will have used one redemption ticket and will not have earned any miles).

Then write to BAEC and ask them to change Miss XYZ's name to Mrs Motors, preserving her accrued TPs and status. This may take a little time (weeks??) but you'll get to keep the status. If you aren't worried about that, your new wife can just use the Mrs Motors identity and you can cancel Miss XYZ.

(I think this will work.)
Old Aug 28, 08, 3:34 am
Original Poster

Ahh! So simple. That sounds like it will work. Thanks BAAZ.
Old Aug 28, 08, 4:32 am

Location: 15 minutes west of LHR, Stockholm, or somewhere inbetween.
Programs: BAEC Gold GGL, CCR, GfL, Mucci des Recherches des Consommations Exotiques.
Personally, I'd give the BAEC a call and explaining the situation and asking their advice.

That way, you'll avoid making a mistake which may have unexpected concequences.

bjorns
Old Aug 28, 08, 5:33 am

Programs: BA Gold, UA 1P, CO Plat, SPG Plat, ICH Plat, HH Gold
Originally Posted by bjorns View Post
Personally, I'd give the BAEC a call and explaining the situation and asking their advice.

That way, you'll avoid making a mistake which may have unexpected concequences.
That is what I would recommend as well. Thinking about it, this isn't an extremely unusual situation, so there must be some standard way to deal with this?
Old Aug 28, 08, 6:31 am

Programs: BA GFL / GGL, Mucci Silver, HH Diamond, Radisson Gold, Hertz Gold 5*
Originally Posted by Motors View Post
I hope there's a simple answer for this query.

I'm getting married next year and want to book an F redemption for me and my future wife through our household account. It's nine months to the day and we want to book this asap. I'll be booking her ticket in her new second name, so I guess this has to be changed on the EC asap so the booking will go through.

Has anyone had any experience with changing this through BAEC?

Also, what if between now and then the future Mrs Motors wants to travel using her account? It'll have her future surname and presumably will not be accepted till after the big day.
Sometimes it is easier to continue to travel on the maiden name for a few weeks after the wedding. Don't forget that you will need to ensure her passport is in her new married name to ensure the passport matches the ticketed name. In theory you can get around this if you take your marriage certificate with you but we decided not to take the risk. We booked all of our immediate post-wedding travel in maiden name to avoid all the hassle and we're still happily married 7 years later..!

Last edited by ThatT1Feeling; Aug 28, 08 at 6:38 am
Old Aug 28, 08, 6:34 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Junior Jet Club
I agree - I would book the lot under the maiden name - you are creating many issues for yourself e.g. passport name changes etc that might not be resolved in time before travel
Old Aug 28, 08, 6:55 am

Programs: BAEC (gold), HHonors (lowest), Marriot (lowest), Accor (Silver)
plus of course if she's already a member going down the new person route loses any tier points...
Old Aug 28, 08, 8:59 am

xxxxx

Last edited by meeshi; Oct 20, 11 at 10:25 am Reason: xxxxx
Old Sep 10, 08, 2:51 am

Programs: BA GGL, VS Gold, BD Gold, Flying Blue Platinum, IC RA, Hilton Diamond, Eurostar Carte Blanche
Motors - what did you do in the end?

I have the same problem in that I am getting married at the beginning of next month but I want to make a booking today from our HHA to fly to NYC for both of us on January 1st 2009. Therefore we have plenty of time to change her passport but obivously the booking will under her maiden name. So what do we do?
Old Sep 10, 08, 3:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BA1A View Post
Motors - what did you do in the end?

I have the same problem in that I am getting married at the beginning of next month but I want to make a booking today from our HHA to fly to NYC for both of us on January 1st 2009. Therefore we have plenty of time to change her passport but obivously the booking will under her maiden name. So what do we do?
Easy.

You make the booking now in the existing name of Miss YoungFreeandSingle.

Then you get married, change her passport, and stop going out and having fun.

Then you write to BAEC with a copy of her amended passport, requesting the name of her EC account be amended to Mrs DidntKnowWhatId BeGettingTo, and wait 5 months for them to find the letter in Bangalore.

The you pay heaps of money to BA to change the name on the booking.
Old Sep 10, 08, 3:20 am

Programs: BA GGL, VS Gold, BD Gold, Flying Blue Platinum, IC RA, Hilton Diamond, Eurostar Carte Blanche
Originally Posted by Smirnoff View Post
Easy.

You make the booking now in the existing name of Miss YoungFreeandSingle.

Then you get married, change her passport, and stop going out and having fun.

Then you write to BAEC with a copy of her amended passport, requesting the name of her EC account be amended to Mrs DidntKnowWhatId BeGettingTo, and wait 5 months for them to find the letter in Bangalore.

The you pay heaps of money to BA to change the name on the booking.
Yes thanks mate, just what I am trying to avoid

I don't see why I should be charged for a name change on a ticket under these circumstances if BA don't offer any alternative.
Old Sep 10, 08, 3:35 am

Location: 15 minutes west of LHR, Stockholm, or somewhere inbetween.
Programs: BAEC Gold GGL, CCR, GfL, Mucci des Recherches des Consommations Exotiques.
Originally Posted by BA1A View Post
Yes thanks mate, just what I am trying to avoid

I don't see why I should be charged for a name change on a ticket under these circumstances if BA don't offer any alternative.
Give the gold helpline or YouFirst a call, explain the situation and I'm sure this isn't the first time BA pax have got married, so there should be a standard procedure.

Also, congratulations.

bjorns
Old Sep 10, 08, 3:49 am

Originally Posted by bjorns View Post
Give the gold helpline or YouFirst a call, explain the situation and I'm sure this isn't the first time BA pax have got married, so there should be a standard procedure.

Also, congratulations.

bjorns
Thanks bjorns.

I have just sent an email to You First so will post back when I get a reply. They must come across all the time, like you say.
Old Sep 10, 08, 4:10 am

Programs: SK*G, BA Silver, Flying Blue, VLM, VT Traveller, PC Platinum, BW Diamond
Originally Posted by ThatT1Feeling View Post
Sometimes it is easier to continue to travel on the maiden name for a few weeks after the wedding. Don't forget that you will need to ensure her passport is in her new married name to ensure the passport matches the ticketed name. In theory you can get around this if you take your marriage certificate with you but we decided not to take the risk. We booked all of our immediate post-wedding travel in maiden name to avoid all the hassle and we're still happily married 7 years later..!
ThatT1Feeling is absolutely spot on with everything he has said.

It really isnt worth the hassle of trying to go on the honeymoon with new surname, just wait until you get back. You'll have a lifetime of her nagging about how you couldnt get on the plane to honeymoon otherwise because passport wasnt up to date/tickets didnt match name/customs problems with marriage certs etc etc

Search this Thread