Air Chance skids off runway @ YUL

Old Aug 26, 08, 6:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, AC-E and a few hotels
Exclamation Air Chance skids off runway @ YUL

Breaking news!

An Air Chance (Sorry! France) jet has skidded off the runway at Montreal PE Airport!

Might cause a few problems for anyone in and out of YUL.
Old Aug 27, 08, 5:14 am

Again?
Old Aug 27, 08, 5:35 am

Little bit of video half way down this page. Seems odd, almost like it took a wrong turn...
Old Aug 27, 08, 6:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, AC-E and a few hotels
Was in the shearaton in montreal last night and ended up meeting one of the passengers in the bar who was having a very stiff drink!

She said that the landing was fine and then went badly wrong when the plane went to turn off the runway........

What was more interesting was her comment that when they got off the plane at the side of the runway they were greeted by press..............

But she is has cancelled her return tix and going home on BA
Old Aug 27, 08, 6:50 am

Programs: BA Gold
il y avait 491 passagers a bord

I'm no French speaker but wow! Surely that's not accurate?
Old Aug 27, 08, 6:59 am

Programs: BA Silver (Oneworld Sapphire), VS Silver, Skywards Blue, UA General, Qantas Bronze.
474 passengers according to seat guru! 17 Crew?
Old Aug 27, 08, 7:12 am

Programs: BA Silver, HHonours Gold, Mucci of Pucci, Oyster Card, Nectar Card, Father's Day Card
On the one hand you would think it is a pretty bad time for planes at the moment with the sad crashes and other incidents.....on the other hand the media have found another mini-hobby horse to sit on so every incident gets front page status.....

....still it makes a change from knife crime.
Old Aug 27, 08, 11:02 am

Programs: BA GGL, Gold for Life, CCR, VS Silver, HHonours Diamond
Originally Posted by BA97 View Post
il y avait 491 passagers a bord

I'm no French speaker but wow! Surely that's not accurate?
Must be one of AF Boeing 777-300 High Density aircraft. They are three class with just 14 business class seats, 36 prem economy (Alize) and 422 economy (total 472 pax). They normally fly on the Caribbean and Indian Ocean routes from Orly.
Old Aug 27, 08, 11:12 am

Originally Posted by Dave_C View Post
Again?
That was my first reaction but IIRC the first was at Toronto.

Originally Posted by IFE Wizard View Post
Must be one of AF Boeing 777-300 High Density aircraft.
I am afraid not. The video identified by ensee shows the aircraft as it came to rest. It is most definitely a 747-400.
Old Aug 27, 08, 11:14 am

Programs: BAEC redundant Bronze, AAdvantage Lifetime PLT, CO, WN, B6
Must be one of AF Boeing 777-300 High Density aircraft. They are three class with just 14 business class seats, 36 prem economy (Alize) and 422 economy (total 472 pax). They normally fly on the Caribbean and Indian Ocean routes from Orly.
The pictures all clearly show a 747-400 with its nose wheel in the grass, though it's quite possible the journalists are confused between the number of people of board versus the number of passengers. Whatever, it sounds a lot!
Old Aug 27, 08, 11:23 am

Programs: BA GGL, Gold for Life, CCR, VS Silver, HHonours Diamond
Originally Posted by TEX277 View Post
That was my first reaction but IIRC the first was at Toronto.

I am afraid not. The video identified by ensee shows the aircraft as it came to rest. It is most definitely a 747-400.
Yep, my error. It certainly looks like a 747. I did think it odd that one of these 777-300 aircraft was flying on a route other than the Caribbean or Indian Ocean.
Old Aug 27, 08, 11:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: statusless these days
Definitely a 747 if you go to the AF forum and look at the video link. see: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=859656 The low-yield COI 747s are 17/460 or 17/60/400 if you want to separate Alize and Tempo.

There's something like 3 flights daily CDG-YUL. That route was said to be one which the A380 was going to be used when AF first ordered them but it seems AF's mgmt has reconsidered.

http://www.airfrance.fr/common/image...ax_maxi_fr.gif
Old Aug 27, 08, 11:50 am

Programs: BA Silver (Oneworld Sapphire), VS Silver, Skywards Blue, UA General, Qantas Bronze.
Originally Posted by bernardd View Post
The pictures all clearly show a 747-400 with its nose wheel in the grass, though it's quite possible the journalists are confused between the number of people of board versus the number of passengers. Whatever, it sounds a lot!
As I said earlier! Seat Guru shows the aircraft as having capacity for 474 passengers which would leave 17 Crew if the total number is correct. Doesn't sound incomprehensible to me...
Old Aug 27, 08, 12:04 pm

Yep, my error. It certainly looks like a 747. I did think it odd that one of these 777-300 aircraft was flying on a route other than the Caribbean or Indian Ocean.
It's no longer "odd." AF's new B777-300ERs also have a high density 10-across economy layout and they're starting to be rostered for mainstream business routes across the world.
Old Aug 27, 08, 12:08 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA-GGL, LH-Sen
Originally Posted by Railroad flyer View Post
Breaking news!

An Air Chance (Sorry! France) jet has skidded off the runway at Montreal PE Airport!
I don't agree with your nickname. Are you suggesting that flying them is a gamble on your life? I'm no AF apologist but I think that would be unfair . As far as safety is concerned i would personally not have any hesitation in flying them.

Good thing that everyone is ok.

Search this Thread