LH Status Match

Old Aug 24, 08, 6:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA, AA, SQ, UA, LH, MR TIT, IHG GLD
LH Status Match

I am a LH Senator. However, because of some work conditions I have to fly frequantly on BA. Do you think that BA will make for me a Status match and get me their gold card or not ? If it is so, does any one knows how to achieve that ?

Last edited by NA-Flyer; Aug 25, 08 at 12:30 pm
Old Aug 24, 08, 8:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
Very doubtful. There is information in the Ultimate Gudie sticky on this subject.
Old Aug 25, 08, 1:48 am

Programs: Lord OPebble - Mucci of the Hour. Diamond Class MUCCI.Chevalier du Circle Intime de Pucci
Originally Posted by LH/LX View Post
I am a LH Senator. However, because of some word conditions I have to fly frequantly on BA. Do you think that BA will make for me a Status match and get me their gold card or not ? If it is so, does any one knows how to achieve that ?
BA don't do status match - full stop. You can only really get a gold card by flying the miles in points earning fare categories.
Old Aug 25, 08, 2:23 am

Programs: Sir CT-UK - Streaker pour les autres.
Originally Posted by OPebble View Post
BA don't do status match - full stop. You can only really get a gold card by flying the miles in points earning fare categories.
Not true,

They do when they want to and feel it is worth while. It isn't easy and by no means a given but they do do it.
Old Aug 25, 08, 5:30 am

Programs: Lord OPebble - Mucci of the Hour. Diamond Class MUCCI.Chevalier du Circle Intime de Pucci
Originally Posted by CT-UK View Post
Not true,

They do when they want to and feel it is worth while. It isn't easy and by no means a given but they do do it.
True, but it is such a tortuous route and unlikely for a one off PAX that to all intents and purposes - they don't.
Old Aug 25, 08, 5:44 am

True, but it is such a tortuous route and unlikely for a one off PAX that to all intents and purposes - they don't.
A simple call to a BA exec call centre in the country of residence and then faxing a current account statement... No really that much of a hassle...

Cheers

Thomas
Old Aug 25, 08, 6:36 am

Programs: QF Plat & LTG, VA Plat
because of some word conditions
Is the LH inflight magazine crossword no good?
Old Aug 25, 08, 8:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton IHG LH BA TK
I am a LH Senator. However, because of some word conditions I have to fly frequantly on BA. Do you think that BA will make for me a Status match and get me their gold card or not ? If it is so, does any one knows how to achieve that ?
It's a VERY sensitive matter over in the M&M room. Some years' back Lufthansa lured a pack of BA Goldies to LH Senator level, in a rather odd status-swap with all sorts of upgrade and overdraft goodies thrown in.

The story goes that the barbarians sacked the programme for all they could get and then left. Thus causing a wide-spread devaluation of Senator benefits. Or so the story goes.
Old Aug 25, 08, 8:35 am

Originally Posted by IAN-UK View Post
It's a VERY sensitive matter over in the M&M room. Some years' back Lufthansa lured a pack of BA Goldies to LH Senator level, in a rather odd status-swap with all sorts of upgrade and overdraft goodies thrown in.

The story goes that the barbarians sacked the programme for all they could get and then left. Thus causing a wide-spread devaluation of Senator benefits. Or so the story goes.
Guilty as charged. I was about to fly to Japan on ANA and one of the goodies was two (or maybe four) upgrade vouchers. As my Company mandates Business on anything > 8 hours I was able to enjoy Japanese First class service. The vouchers were good for any *A member!
Old Aug 25, 08, 11:38 am

Programs: BA Gold, UA 1P, CO Plat, SPG Plat, ICH Plat, HH Gold
I'm not sure if you are referring to the '*A status match' back in 2005 (if I remember correctly). I'd assume that LH did agree to this *A-wide status match. If I only had known about the LH Senator benefits at the time, I would not have matched myself to BD *G
Old Aug 25, 08, 12:34 pm
Original Poster

I was one of the people who took advantage of that swap and got my Senator status on LH without flying a single flight. However, since I became a Senator I kept it for about 10 years and my BA gold card went down to BLUE with zero flying on BA. However, things have changed for me right now and my company forced me to fly on BA and CX for some economical reasons.
Old Aug 25, 08, 12:45 pm

Programs: QF Platinum (OW Emerald); QF Lifestime Silver; BD Diamond Club Gold (*A Gold)
However, things have changed for me right now and my company forced me to fly on BA and CX for some economical reasons.
Not a huge surprise, BA and CX are so much more competitively-priced on Far East routings - guessing you're doing the HK hop on a regular basis. On price, I'd rather fly BA/CX. On overall product quality, I'd rather fly LX / LH / CX, but not BA.

Last edited by virtualtroy; Aug 25, 08 at 1:05 pm
Old Aug 25, 08, 12:52 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by virtualtroy View Post
guessing you're doing the HK hope on a regular basis. On price, I'd rather f;y BA/CX. On overall product quality, I'd rather fly LX / LH / CX, but not BA.
I have moved to Rome recently and I have to do many flights to HKG and NRT, which offer cheaper prices in Biz class than LH by almost Euro 1,000 per trip out of FCO. Plus I will be taking BA to North America regualry in Club World and BA prices in Italy is killing all other airlines like LH and LX.
Old Sep 6, 08, 12:19 am

Programs: LH and BA
here is the official version - can't disclose source - but happy to disclose on PM
Old Sep 6, 08, 1:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH SEN, AB PLAT, BA Gold, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, SPG Lifetime Platinum, IHG RA, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by frankvb View Post
I'm not sure if you are referring to the '*A status match' back in 2005 (if I remember correctly). I'd assume that LH did agree to this *A-wide status match. If I only had known about the LH Senator benefits at the time, I would not have matched myself to BD *G
The problem was not the status match as such. The problem was a huge bunch of BA customers being comped to SEN, used the SEN overdraft, which was good for a free F/C ticket to the US, (sold this to mileage brokers), were never seen again and did not repay their mileage debt.

And BD? No need to do it the complicated way. They comp everybody from O/W gold and it is certainly to world's most generous program for (real) frequent travellers using premium classes. Allthough I rarely fly on BD (80% of my flights are on M&M airlines) I credit every flight to BD.

Search this Thread