FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   90,000 BA Miles sell on eBay for £686.66! (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/858724-90-000-ba-miles-sell-ebay-686-66-a.html)

clubman Aug 24, 2008 3:03 am

90,000 BA Miles sell on eBay for £686.66!

Just closed a few minutes ago....

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=270267638412

Prospero Aug 24, 2008 3:37 am

Astonishing...

Originally Posted by Ebay's andy1122andy
I have 90,000 BA Miles for SALE

I will give you the log in details of my account and you can book flights on the BA network and just pay for the taxes!!!!

Number of points used depends on destination...eg. Anywhere in the USA is 50,000 points Russia is 20,000 points and so on

Tickets can be booked under any name - no restrictions apply

Great opportunity to grab a bargin...dont miss out

I cannot decide who is the most stupid of the two - the seller for handing over his log-in details or winning bidder for parting his hard earned cash and wait for it... "oh by the way, how much is them taxes?" :eek: :D

Shinigami Aug 24, 2008 4:14 am

Would be even more interesting if it was BA who won the bid and then finds out who this particular person is, that is selling their miles. eh?

tsk tsk

For 90k miles, whoever has them, could have upgraded 3 WT+ tickets to CW and gotten more for his money then £686.66...

beardedgeologist Aug 24, 2008 4:24 am

Looking at the eBay feedback for the guy who just bought those 90000 miles - he also bought 100000 BA miles on eBay for GBP1170 on 12th July.

ajax Aug 24, 2008 4:43 am

Originally Posted by Shinigami (Post 10251161)
Would be even more interesting if it was BA who won the bid and then finds out who this particular person is, that is selling their miles. eh?

Indeed.

But if so, surely BA would be obliged to pay the £686.66 which they bid, right? Do they have the legal right to renege on the transaction because the miles technically can't be sold? Interesting question.

Popester Aug 24, 2008 5:58 am

Miles

Actually, wouldn't the easiest way be to make the person one of the people on your family account and they can book that way. Technically I guess you're not transferring the miles. Just a thought.

LeisureFirst Aug 24, 2008 9:01 am

Originally Posted by Popester (Post 10251298)
Actually, wouldn't the easiest way be to make the person one of the people on your family account and they can book that way. Technically I guess you're not transferring the miles. Just a thought.

The miles are not being "transferred" in any case. They stay in the name of the original holder but are being spent on someone else's travel.

Doing this via a Household Account has other side effects, including an inability to spend your own miles on the travel of someone who isn't part of that account.

Fraser Aug 24, 2008 9:25 am

Originally Posted by LeisureFirst (Post 10251854)
The miles are not being "transferred" in any case. They stay in the name of the original holder but are being spent on someone else's travel

I guess the guy has been a bit stupid then. He could have done a 'white envelope' type item, whereby he is selling his BA account number and login for £xxxx, and the user is welcome to any of the 90k miles within. Could that be possible?

London Dude Aug 24, 2008 10:42 am

Since the sale of BA miles is prohibited by the BAEC's T&C, ebay should not allow these activities to continue, but then again ebay is run by a bunch of morons, as demonstrated by their idiotic acquisition of Skype, and is going to get hit by growing numbers of lawsuits concerning the origins of many of the goods trafficked through their websites.

A more serious problem is that ebay allows fraudsters who have gained access to people's BAEC accounts through trojans and other identity theft means to easily sell their BA miles without the owners' knowing what's happening.

You guys don't really think that the person "selling" those 90K miles actually owns the account, do you?

I'm going to contact BA to alert them to this type of illeal activity. I hope they come down hard on ebay and all those perpetrating this fraud. I encourage anyone who comes across this sort of activities on the Internet to do the same.

dgwright99 Aug 24, 2008 10:55 am

Originally Posted by London Dude (Post 10252220)
Since the sale of BA miles is prohibited by the BAEC's T&C, ebay should not allow these activities to continue....

Since when did eBay suddenly become responsible for enforcing the T&C of 3rd party contracts ? As it happenes, eBay will remove listings for FF items if/when the airline complains about a specific listing. AFAIK UA actively monitors eBay and regularly makes such requests; if BA doesn't do so, they have little cause to complain.

Personally, I don't agree with eBay's willingness to cave on such matters. If a party believes that their rights are being infringed then that is between that party and the listing party, and I see no reason why eBay should police such contract disputes.

I'm going to contact BA to alert them to this type of illeal activity.

Violation of T&C is not "illegal".

flyboy777 Aug 24, 2008 1:40 pm

Since the sale of BA miles is prohibited by the BAEC's T&C, ebay should not allow these activities to continue, but then again ebay is run by a bunch of morons, as demonstrated by their idiotic acquisition of Skype, and is going to get hit by growing numbers of lawsuits concerning the origins of many of the goods trafficked through their websites.

A more serious problem is that ebay allows fraudsters who have gained access to people's BAEC accounts through trojans and other identity theft means to easily sell their BA miles without the owners' knowing what's happening.

You guys don't really think that the person "selling" those 90K miles actually owns the account, do you?

I'm going to contact BA to alert them to this type of illegal activity. I hope they come down hard on ebay and all those perpetrating this fraud. I encourage anyone who comes across this sort of activities on the Internet to do the same.

Originally Posted by dgwright99 (Post 10252265)
Since when did eBay suddenly become responsible for enforcing the T&C of 3rd party contracts ? As it happenes, eBay will remove listings for FF items if/when the airline complains about a specific listing. AFAIK UA actively monitors eBay and regularly makes such requests; if BA doesn't do so, they have little cause to complain.

Personally, I don't agree with eBay's willingness to cave on such matters. If a party believes that their rights are being infringed then that is between that party and the listing party, and I see no reason why eBay should police such contract disputes.

Violation of T&C is not "illegal".

It's understandable that your concerned but it's not up to eBay to trawl through every little bit of T&Cs of every item listed. Of course this kind of activity isn't right but who's going to stop them? As already meantioned, it's not illegal activity. It's up to BA ultimately (who should now be on the case), not the so called morons at eBay...

HIDDY Aug 24, 2008 3:49 pm

Most probably.

I'm going to contact BA to alert them to this type of illeal activity. .

Taking it all a bit serious is it not?

What proof do you have of that? If they hack into my BAEC account they won't be hanging about for very long. :D

Unique name? Aug 24, 2008 4:52 pm

I wish I was one of the morons who founded Ebay. :cool:

Wilkes Aug 25, 2008 6:32 am

*deleted*

*deleted*

G-BOAC Aug 25, 2008 6:33 am

Originally Posted by Wilkes (Post 10255592)
I just sold 100,000 miles for £1,000GBP... I just logged into my BA page and booked a flight... then the guy who wanted the miles paid for the taxes using his own credit card... no problem.

Wilkes

Interesting. I wonder if BA will be auditing all 100K redemptions made so far today a little more carefully now :D