T5 Parking and Breakfast

Old Aug 22, 2008, 3:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver
T5 Parking and Breakfast

Hi Guys
New postee so please be gentle.

I'm a new BA Gold and I'm flying domestic to Newcastle from T5 on Tuesday morning. I haven't used T5 before, so I'm not sure the best place to park. Its an early morning flight and I'm returning late afternoon so I'll be over 12 hours. My surfing seems to suggest Business parking is best although as its a personal trip I'm looking for the best cost/ convenience ratio!

Also, as I'm new to Gold (Yipee) I was wondering what breakfast would be like in the First lounge?

All pointers greatfully received.

C
Old Aug 22, 2008, 3:34 pm
Suspended

Programs: Proud owner of 3 Mucci's (yes, 3!) the latest being Chevaliere des Bains Chauds, BA Silver (6 yrs)
Hi Cabbage and welcome. ^ I enjoyed your namesake for dinner tonight!!

I think Business Parking at T5 would be your best bet. £21 for the day and you hop on the bus and the terminal is less than 5 minutes away. When you come back go to bus stop 21 or 22 (can't remember) and buses come along every 5-10 minutes or so. Though sometimes they can be a little longer than this.

As for brekkie in the F lounge, there's a selection of cereals, hot food and, of course, champagne to wash it all down with. I have yet to fully experience what's on offer in the lounges so can't give you an exact menu but I'm sure someone will be along shortly who can.

Last edited by sunrisegirl; Aug 22, 2008 at 3:43 pm
Old Aug 22, 2008, 4:30 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum
Welcome on board Cabbage ^

Just back from eastern europe - so I have also been eating a fair bit of your namesake too....

Parking - I have used the Business T5 and the regular Long Stay T5

The Business is better but IMHO only just... If you are funding yourself then go with whichever is cheaper of those two.. the bus to T5 seems to be only a little longer from the LS than Business...

Both Buses drop you at T5 north - through north security and you can be in the North Lounge very quickly.... probably best position for a NCL flight too...

If you are willing to forgo the Champagne - I think the T5 North lounge is pretty nice. I would probably go for that...

Of course, it depends on how often you think you will be using T5 in future. I started in the Club South, the next time the Club North and the third time (and most times ever since ) in the Galleries First..

So.. if you want to, why not walk all the way down to the south for the Galleries First experience....

As it is your first time in T5 it might be worth exploring a bit anyway...

The breakfast highlight in the Galleries First is the Bacon Roll... but that was also available in the Galleries Club North last time I was there.....

Anyway - enjoy... T5, Gold and welcome again

Last edited by Scillybear; Aug 22, 2008 at 4:43 pm
Old Aug 23, 2008, 2:08 am
Original Poster

Thanks v much.

Whilst I've had an opup to F I've never experienced the First Lounge, so would seem an ideal opportunity to try their bacon roll... (and perhaps a cheeky glass of champers).

I'll need to make sure I leave enough time... btw how far is it from the First Lounge to the NCL gate?

C
Old Aug 23, 2008, 2:34 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

A warm welcome to Flyertalk, Cabbage

In answer to your last question, UK domestic gates are located at the northern edge of the main terminal, usually numbered A1 to A5 or 6. The First Galleries isn't the closest lounge to these gates (Galleries Club is much closer being directly upstairs) but it isn't all that far away either, about 6-8 minutes depending on how brisk your walk is.

Watch out for gate A4 though - this is a busing gate, so allow extra time should your flight be assigned to A4.
Old Aug 23, 2008, 2:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

The northern gates A1-A5/6 will normally be for UK departuresas stated above but my last T5 flight left from gate A19 ( just below the lounges) -that gives you a couple of extra minutes!

Regards

TBS
Old Aug 23, 2008, 3:00 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
I was on the first NCL a few weeks ago and the flight left from A12 (i think), which is just about midway between north and south lounges. Presumably the aircraft that day was there all night or arrived off an international, not sure whether this is the normal working.

Michael
Old Aug 23, 2008, 3:10 am

A19 is a pretty regular Domestic gate too, right at the bottom of the escalator down from the F Lounge.
Old Aug 23, 2008, 5:12 am

Programs: Lord OPebble - Mucci of the Hour. Diamond Class MUCCI.Chevalier du Circle Intime de Pucci
Originally Posted by Prospero
A warm welcome to Flyertalk, Cabbage

In answer to your last question, UK domestic gates are located at the northern edge of the main terminal, usually numbered A1 to A5 or 6. The First Galleries isn't the closest lounge to these gates (Galleries Club is much closer being directly upstairs) but it isn't all that far away either, about 6-8 minutes depending on how brisk your walk is.

Watch out for gate A4 though - this is a busing gate, so allow extra time should your flight be assigned to A4.
So is gate 10!
Old Aug 23, 2008, 5:50 am
Original Poster

Excellent info - thanks everybody

C
Old Aug 23, 2008, 5:56 am
Gaz

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold, UA Gold
IMO business parking at T5 is a rip off.

Long stay is also a brand new car park and very nice (unlike the old T1-3 Long Stay which was horrid). The transfer times to the terminal are nearly as quick, as you're not far away, AND if you book Long Stay Plus, you can just drop the car without having to park it, and have it waiting for you when you arrive. Don't believe any equivalent exists for this in Buisness.

On all my recent trips, Long Stay Plus has been around half the price of Business. Perhaps when the unmanned transport pods start in '09, that'll turn me to back to Business.
Old Aug 23, 2008, 6:02 am

Business Parking will be a far more attractive proposition when the transit train opens in the middle of next year. They're having quite a few setbacks but there's a lot of money behind it so it shouldn't slip too far back now.
Old Aug 23, 2008, 6:34 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by spanishflea
Business Parking will be a far more attractive proposition when the transit train opens in the middle of next year. They're having quite a few setbacks but there's a lot of money behind it so it shouldn't slip too far back now.
Is the pod thing going to link the other car parks (and other things like hotels, car rental etc..) eventually or is it only planned for the business parking...

I know the business parking is the first stage, but is it going to be extended in the short term again to other places - or is all that just a pipe (pod) dream ?
Old Aug 23, 2008, 9:01 am

Programs: Lord OPebble - Mucci of the Hour. Diamond Class MUCCI.Chevalier du Circle Intime de Pucci
Originally Posted by Scillybear
Is the pod thing going to link the other car parks (and other things like hotels, car rental etc..) eventually or is it only planned for the business parking...

I know the business parking is the first stage, but is it going to be extended in the short term again to other places - or is all that just a pipe (pod) dream ?
I read on the BAA web site that it is eventually planned to link to all other terminals (not sure about T4). Unfortunately that article has vanished or is well hidden!
Old Aug 23, 2008, 9:34 am

Originally Posted by Scillybear

The current plans are very firmly involved with just this phase. As far as I am concerned, as a subcontractor, it is only linking T5 and Business Parking. So any future planned phases that might have been mooted are a long way off.

The problem is it is treated as a railway by all the regulatory authorities, so it has to have 6 months of active testing before anything will be certified.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.