FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   What to expect: YVR-LHR -> LGW-NAP FIRST/CLUB (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/857551-what-expect-yvr-lhr-lgw-nap-first-club.html)

jayzee9 Aug 20, 2008 1:52 pm

What to expect: YVR-LHR -> LGW-NAP FIRST/CLUB

My wife and I booked a flight on points:
1. YVR-LHR on BA in First
connecting to
2. LGW-NAP in Club

I have a few questions, as I am not a veteran BA flyer.
1. Is it possible that BA will fly to NAP from LHR by the time my flight happens (June '09)?

2. How can BA get away with not paying for transfer or providing it, given that some airlines in FC pick you up from home in either a helo or limo?

3. What will the transfer process between LHR and LGW be like? I have about 4 hours between flights.

4. Is there a first class lounge at LGW? What is the lounge like at LGW? Should we try to hit an arrivals lounge at LHR before venturing to LGW?

5. Do we have to recheck our bags at LGW and bring them with us on the shuttle? I read the shuttle is 17 pounds a person, does that sound right?

6. Willl there be a meal served on the LGW-NAP flight (leaves around 6:30 P)

7. What are the carry-on restrictions? 1 or 2 per person?

8. In BA first (747), should my wife and I get seats togther or one behind the other?

Thank you very much in advance!

DYKWIA Aug 20, 2008 1:58 pm

Ultimate BA Guide

virtualtroy Aug 20, 2008 2:24 pm

Before regulars pounce on you, my thoughts:

1. No
2. Because this is something which carriers which offer less coverage offer as a competitive advantage in select markets. I believe the BA F product to be vastly inferior to many long haul competitors (SQ, LH, 9W, EK, CX - for example) but these don't have to match the same network.
3. Options range from a taxi to a coach transfer. None are particularly glamorous, but 4 hrs is ample time, assuming your luggage turns up in a timely manner at LHR.
4. Yes and based on my and others feedback, you may find the service more initimate and attentive. The product is uniform. There are showers if you want to freshen up, but no Elemis Spa.
5. Pass
6. Yes, given that this is a reasonably long sector within Europe and the time of day, you should have an ok hot meal. Based on all of my previous experience on intra-Europe flights with BA, either in Y or Club, I'd prefer to eat before, but that's perhaps just me.
7. LHR rule is now 2, I haven't flown through LGW since this reform, so bow to others with more recent experience.
8. That depends on how long you've been married for and the state of communication in your relationship. If you're still good friends and enjoy communicating, I'd recommend sitting together. If you'd rather send her a drink, with your compliments ("from the gentleman in 2A"...), well that's your choice. Surprised by this question :confused:

The _Banking_Scot Aug 20, 2008 3:25 pm

Hi,

5) You will need to check your bags in again at LGW ( and take them on the coach)- £17 is about right.

The LHR arrivals lounge closes at 2pm. I would head straight to LGW and the F lounge and have a shower once there and relax.

Regards

TBS

OPebble Aug 20, 2008 3:39 pm

Originally Posted by virtualtroy (Post 10233545)
Before regulars pounce on you, my thoughts:

7. LHR rule is now 2, I haven't flown through LGW since this reform, so bow to others with more recent experience.

All BA served airports except Newquay (?) the rule is 2. One a wheelie type bag - maximum size of the bag must not exceed 56x45x25cm (22x17.5x9.85in) (including wheels, pockets and handles). They can get quite pedantic about this sizing. Beware some bags sold in the USA claim to conform but exclude handles and wheels from the measurements.
In addition, one laptop sized bag, handbag or briefcase.
A 23kg(51lbs) maximum bag weight applies and you must be able to lift the bag into the overhead lockers in the aircraft cabin unaided.

Howard Long Aug 20, 2008 5:12 pm

Originally Posted by jayzee9 (Post 10233309)
2. How can BA get away with not paying for transfer or providing it, given that some airlines in FC pick you up from home in either a helo or limo?

My favourite is to use TriStar cars that I book through Amex Centurion, but I'm sure you can book direct. It ain't cheap - it was £90 or so last time I used them LHR-LGW in June - but believe me after a long flight (or flights in my case, and my bags got lost too so I was smelly!), I was glad to have some modicum of comfort and a copy of today's Times handed to me by the driver. Four hours should be enough but don't hang about too long in LHR in case of M25 delays.

There are very adequate shower facilities in LGW's lounge complex. I haven't been in the F lounge at LGW for a couple of years, but assuming it's not changed much it's pleasant enough (fun to see the stiff upper lip Bermuda crowd in blazers mid morning) but it is pretty small and nothing on the LHR CCRs but it does have premium Champagne, a prerequisite for most FTers. The LGW Terraces lounge is OK but often suffers screaming kid syndrome especially downstairs from parents not controlling their delightful brats.

Cheers, Howard

YVR Cockroach Aug 20, 2008 6:48 pm

What day of the week will you be arriving in LHR? The M25 is said to be a nice ring-like parking lot at certain times and days of the week. Some say 3 hrs is barely enough to make the connection so best that you get going along to LGW as soon as you clear U.K. entry and forget about the arrivals lounge. If you want to use it, try to get onto the earlier YVR-LHR flight which will give you and extra 2 hours or so.

Howard Long Aug 21, 2008 1:04 am

Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach (Post 10234736)
What day of the week will you be arriving in LHR? The M25 is said to be a nice ring-like parking lot at certain times and days of the week. Some say 3 hrs is barely enough to make the connection so best that you get going along to LGW as soon as you clear U.K. entry and forget about the arrivals lounge. If you want to use it, try to get onto the earlier YVR-LHR flight which will give you and extra 2 hours or so.

Bear in mind that the YVR flights arrive well outside rush hour. The first is at about 11:00 and the second is at 13:40. I do agree that it's safer to get on your way and do the freshen up thing at LGW.

Cheers, Howard

clubman Aug 21, 2008 1:33 am

1. No:

And you know this for a fact...?

8. That depends on how long you've been married for and the state of communication in your relationship. If you're still good friends and enjoy communicating, I'd recommend sitting together. If you'd rather send her a drink, with your compliments ("from the gentleman in 2A"...), well that's your choice. Surprised by this question :confused:

Not at all.
Some regular BA F travelers prefer when traveling as a couple to take two window seats behind each other.
The only 2 proper pairs of seats are the two middle rows 4/5, and they are the least private/preferred seats in the cabin.
Some regulars will take seats across the isle from each other (as I and Mrs. Clubman have done on a coupe of occasions) or behind each other.
That way you each get a window seat with all the space around you.
Yu can still dine, and have drinks together, and chat...
I mean let's face it, you spent the rest of the time sleeping/watching a movie/reading/ working anyway!