BA mathematics

Old Aug 19, 08, 6:24 pm
Original Poster

BA mathematics

In the process of booking a flight from JFK to LHR (leaving October 15th, returning November 12th) I noticed the following odd situation on the BA website. The flights are quoted at $276 each way with estimated taxes and surcharges of $173.60 (total $725.60). However, at the end of the booking process, the figures suddenly change to $250 for the return flight plus $471.36 in taxes and surcharges (total $721.36). No big deal except .............
when you use BA miles for the flight ......... guess which figure they use for the taxes and surcharges !!
Old Aug 19, 08, 9:44 pm

Programs: BA - Blue
I'm not sure, but the 'estimated taxes and fees' refers to the various mandated taxes and fees (e.g. APD in the UK, 9/11 fee etc). The fuel surcharge is included as part of the ticket price in the first screen (this may have to do with how US sites advertise).

The largest chunk of the actual charges is the fuel surcharge, hence why Y redemptions are a really bad idea on BA, and has devalued miles massively over the last few years.

tb
Old Aug 20, 08, 6:51 am

Programs: SK*G, BA Silver, Flying Blue, VLM, VT Traveller, PC Platinum, BW Diamond
SAS do something similar with flights using points. The taxes are normally 20% less when booking a flight normally comapred to booking a flight with miles, this was because the flights included fuel surcharges and hence the points covered it.

Have you tried booking your award on ba.co.uk? I believe all flights must include fuel surcharges, and hence you may find your taxes etc are less.
Old Aug 20, 08, 7:03 am

Programs: BA Gold, BD *S, VS Gold, AFKL Petro Club
I've actually noticed discrepancies as well booking ex-UK, the price sometimes ends up 0.5-1.5 cheaper than stated earlier on in the booking process.
Old Aug 20, 08, 3:07 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: up in the air
Originally Posted by Echo J View Post
I've actually noticed discrepancies as well booking ex-UK, the price sometimes ends up 0.5-1.5 cheaper than stated earlier on in the booking process.
That is rounding. I suspect the OP's "discrepancy" is due to US advertising rules.
Old Aug 20, 08, 6:35 pm

Programs: BA Gold, BMI Gold, Flyingblue Gold, Alitalia Platinum, IC RA, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Offtopic

Originally Posted by globalste View Post
Have you tried booking your award on ba.co.uk? I believe all flights must include fuel surcharges, and hence you may find your taxes etc are less.
ba.co.uk is not a valid website. you need a minimum of 3 letters in a .co.uk domain name (Rule that hopefully will be relaxed soon)
Old Aug 21, 08, 9:23 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by subhi View Post
ba.co.uk is not a valid website. you need a minimum of 3 letters in a .co.uk domain name (Rule that hopefully will be relaxed soon)
Someone should tell British Telecom
Old Aug 21, 08, 10:00 am

Programs: BA Gold, BMI Gold, Flyingblue Gold, Alitalia Platinum, IC RA, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by ex-ams View Post
Someone should tell British Telecom
I knew someone would bring one of the anomaly domains.

Any non-conforming domains are registered before 1996 (Before Nominet took control of .uk) the current rules are minimum 3 letters (or numbers) starting with a letter, under .co.uk, org.uk, me.uk, plc.uk, net.uk, ltd.uk.

Some of the anomalies are www.jet.uk www.u.net.uk and obviously bt.co.uk in addition to Nominet's own www.nic.uk

Code:
     Domain name:
         bt.co.uk

Registrant:
         British Telecommunications PLC
     Relevant dates:
         Registered on: before Aug-1996

Did I bore you enough ?

PS. Don't mention .gb

Search this Thread