Club Europe and Gold pre-boarding from outstations

Old Aug 19, 08, 5:30 pm
vla
Original Poster

Programs: Mucci, BAEC Gold, Aegean Gold
Club Europe and Gold pre-boarding from outstations

I searched and found some posts on this but think it merits a new thread.

Tonight on the 443 AMS-LHR boarding commenced, for the first time, with a pre-recorded announcement (in Dutch first) wishing pax a good evening and welcoming Club Europe and Executive Club gold members to pre-board before the rest of the long holding pen that is gate D16 at AMS. This, in my experience, is new. And welcome.

Do we know if this is the start of a new policy for European flights (or those less than 200 pax), or are the Wally World gods still trying to make amends for banishing the Gatwick flights to the low-cost H-piers a couple of years ago?
Old Aug 19, 08, 5:35 pm
Suspended

Programs: Proud owner of 3 Mucci's (yes, 3!) the latest being Chevaliere des Bains Chauds, BA Silver (6 yrs)
I have no idea if it's new policy or not. But perhaps AMS - being one of BA's premier European outstations - has been told the policy is for Gold & Silver to be allowed to pre-board.

I suppose they've got it partly right by allowing Gold, but Silver should be allowed at the same time too.

And thank goodness AMS-LGW flights are now from D too. Now if only the Dutch could sort out allowing us to take bottles of water/diet coke, etc bought airside onto the aircraft .....
Old Aug 19, 08, 5:46 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver; Muccis du Monde des Peluches
Originally Posted by sunrisegirl View Post
I suppose they've got it partly right by allowing Gold, but Silver should be allowed at the same time too.
They should indeed. This privilege is explicitly stated on the BA website as a Silver benefit. Curiously the Gold page promises no such benefit.

I think it is just a local decision, i.e. a mistake, rather than a policy. Boarding a flight to MAD recently at LHR, they invited CE pax to a different line, but didn't say anything about Golds, Silvers or Prems. I just joined that line (I was in the best seat on the plane, which happened to be in ET) and I was very grudgingly let through.

I have never seen priority boarding of any kind during any of my many departures from MAD. Once when a CE passenger expressed some surprise about this, he was told rather smugly by one of the ground staff that the boarding process was "very democratic". I wonder if the moron that said that felt the same thing about the onboard distribution of champagne or width of seats. Although the check-in agents themselves at MAD are fine, there seems to be a special species of BA-uniformed goon at MAD that hangs around the check-in lines and the gate, doing nothing but being rude to people.

Last edited by LeisureFirst; Aug 20, 08 at 7:16 am Reason: fixed link to Silver benefits page
Old Aug 19, 08, 6:14 pm

Programs: BA GfL
Interesting--I got on a flight SOF-LHR yesterday and heard the same thing, for the first time I can remember in 9 years as a Gold. Golds and Silvers boarded right behind the "special assistance" folks, and before everyone else. It was refreshing (sadly, in marked contrast to the experience boarding my connecting flight from LHR-EWR, where there was not even a Fast Track lane ).
Old Aug 19, 08, 6:22 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by travelmad478 View Post
Interesting--I got on a flight SOF-LHR yesterday and heard the same thing, for the first time I can remember in 9 years as a Gold. Golds and Silvers boarded right behind the "special assistance" folks, and before everyone else. It was refreshing (sadly, in marked contrast to the experience boarding my connecting flight from LHR-EWR, where there was not even a Fast Track lane ).
Ditto with my IBZ LGW flight yesterday much appreciated at that evil dep time .

First time in a very long time that CE,Golds,Silver,etc board first on any of my flights!
Old Aug 19, 08, 7:02 pm

Originally Posted by moonbeam View Post
Ditto with my IBZ LGW flight yesterday much appreciated at that evil dep time.
I wasn't there this year, but all of my friends seemed to return remarkably well-rested from IBZ since new laws had put a stop to 90% of the fun. "Will never return" was the typical comment. If you're anything like my friends, from whom I received many reports this weekend, you were probably dying to get on the plane and get home, but not especially tired when boarding. Whereas in previous years, most people boarding the plane were in no state to tell the difference between Gold, Silver, Blue and Pink.
Old Aug 19, 08, 7:09 pm

Programs: BA Gold
I was out there on work! but i plan to brake some laws when i rtn this weekend for fun

silly afterhours laws! wont stop my after hours activity!!
Old Aug 19, 08, 7:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What is this "pre-boarding" that you speak of?

I only know of "final call" and occasionally even "would passenger graraps immediately present himself at Gate XYZ" as I stagger across from the lounge.

IMHO you lot need to make more efficient use of lounges.
Old Aug 19, 08, 8:25 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Priority Club RA, Lots of other cards
Hi
Just completed GLA<>LHR<>LIN and return. Never heard any pre-boarding for Gold etc.

I did ask at LHR as they were calling the LIN flight by row numbers, the BA staff member said I could board when ever I wanted too, which I then went and did, but next time I think i will wait as I was in 3d and got battered by near enough everyone coming onto the aircraft, must have a few bruises.

Good things for the whole trip was all the dedicated Gold/Silver/Business checkin desks and fast track. It really did work well this trip. Plus had some other nice things for me.
Old Aug 19, 08, 8:58 pm

Programs: BA, UA, SPG/Marriot
This is one thing that annoys me with BA. I fly mostly CX these days and every CX flight has separate F/J and Y boarding lines and even if flying Y I can board through the F/J line. Why is BA unable to do this???
Old Aug 20, 08, 1:11 am

Programs: GGL CCR
Originally Posted by LeisureFirst View Post
I just joined that line (I was in the best seat on the plane, which happened to be in ET) and I was very grudgingly let through.
Nothing wrong with flying ET, but how come the best seat on the plane was in ET? You mean 4 or 5 C I guess and it's best because it's same seat as 1/2/3 C but you paid less?
Old Aug 20, 08, 1:13 am

Programs: GGL CCR
Originally Posted by vla View Post
Tonight on the 443 AMS-LHR boarding commenced, for the first time, with a pre-recorded announcement (in Dutch first) wishing pax a good evening and welcoming Club Europe and Executive Club gold members to pre-board before the rest of the long holding pen that is gate D16 at AMS. This, in my experience, is new. And welcome.
Had this on all my AMS-LHR flights in last weeks. CE and Gold is asked to come forward.
Old Aug 20, 08, 1:23 am

Programs: Lord OPebble - Mucci of the Hour. Diamond Class MUCCI.Chevalier du Circle Intime de Pucci
Originally Posted by LeisureFirst View Post
I have never seen priority boarding of any kind during any of my many departures from MAD. Once when a CE passenger expressed some surprise about this, he was told rather smugly by one of the ground staff that the boarding process was "very democratic". I wonder if the moron that said that felt the same thing about the onboard distribution of champagne or width of seats. Although the check-in agents themselves at MAD are fine, there seems to be a special species of BA-uniformed goon at MAD that hangs around the check-in lines and the gate, doing nothing but being rude to people.
The MAD gate staff are not BA, they were outsourced at least 6 months ago!

I have had one of aforesaid goons trying to stop me boarding immediately after mothers and children and had to tell him I was a gold member and entitled to board at my convenience!
Old Aug 20, 08, 2:53 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR/Lifetime Gold, World of Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Priority boarding for CE from OSL the other day.
Old Aug 20, 08, 3:16 am

Originally Posted by moonbeam View Post
silly afterhours laws! wont stop my after hours activity!!
The trouble is what they're stopping isn't just what Americans called "after hours" clubs and Australians bizarrely call "recoveries". The clubs have to close on the stroke of 6am, which considering most people don't go out until about 3am even in mainland Spain is absurd.

Furthermore, the most distinctive clubs in Ibiza are those which take place during the day time - to which people go after sleeping, not after another club. Dancing on the terrace at Space under a bright blue sky (cleverly protected from the sun) or similarly at DC10 is much more memorable than a night at Pacha. That has all stopped.

Even worse, I understand there were far fewer private parties taking place this year, because people were threatened with huge fines for playing loud music. These parties, often with the invitations extended to hundreds of people taking place in beautiful remote villas, were what most of my friends looked forward to above all else.

Anyway, good luck.

Search this Thread