Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Hand Baggage size - how insistent on correct size?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21, 2008, 6:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Honors Diamond,Amex Platinum

I've tried to search this out and haven't been able to find a simple answer. I have a soft bag that I have always taken onto BA J and F flights, but not yet out of T5. Reading some threads on recent T5 experiences, I'm getting the distinct impression that my hand baggage now needs to fit into some sort of "cage".

My question is this - although the bag itself is about an inch too long, it's width is as per the specification and it is quite a few inches shorter. If it's not overly stuffed full, I reckon I could squidge it into the aforementioned cage, will they then let me take it on, or as it's too long in one dimension will they try and make me check it.

I bloomin hope not as it'll be full of toys, food, nappies, and general toddler paraphenalia that will not make for a happy flight if checked!

As always, your experiences greatly appreciated.
Old Oct 21, 2008, 6:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Very simple.

If it can be squooshed, so it fits into the gauge (and without having to sit on it, or jump on it, to force it in), then it's allowed.

If it doesn't, then it's not.
Old Oct 21, 2008, 6:27 am

Location: 15 minutes west of LHR, Stockholm, or somewhere inbetween.
Programs: BAEC Gold GGL, CCR, GfL, Mucci des Recherches des Consommations Exotiques.
Originally Posted by thegamebird
I've tried to search this out and haven't been able to find a simple answer. I have a soft bag that I have always taken onto BA J and F flights, but not yet out of T5. Reading some threads on recent T5 experiences, I'm getting the distinct impression that my hand baggage now needs to fit into some sort of "cage".

My question is this - although the bag itself is about an inch too long, it's width is as per the specification and it is quite a few inches shorter. If it's not overly stuffed full, I reckon I could squidge it into the aforementioned cage, will they then let me take it on, or as it's too long in one dimension will they try and make me check it.

I bloomin hope not as it'll be full of toys, food, nappies, and general toddler paraphenalia that will not make for a happy flight if checked!

As always, your experiences greatly appreciated.
At T5, the handluggage has to fit in a tray through the X-ray machines.

The trays fit the maximum allowed size, but not more, so if the bag is an inch wider in any dimension, it'll fail.

Don't risk it, as you'll have to return to check-in to check it in if it fails.

Best advise: get a bag that fits within the allowed dimensions.

bjorns
Old Oct 21, 2008, 6:36 am

Programs: Lord OPebble - Mucci of the Hour. Diamond Class MUCCI.Chevalier du Circle Intime de Pucci
In addition to the security trays as an ad-hoc test, there are metal cages scattered around the check-in area and also around the scanner area.

I am afraid it doesn't matter if the sum of your bag's dimensions adds up to the sum of the permitted dimensions, the cage is unforgiving and you must fit each individual dimension.

Also there is no allowance for wheels or handles being outside the dimensions - they must fit inside the dimensions.

That said, if the security staff are having a good day (a rare event), you may get away with it, but don't count on it!
Old Oct 21, 2008, 7:40 am

Programs: BA Gold, TG Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Plat
The yellow T-shirts at LGW with nothing better else to do would be on a look out for large cases while the manning the security lines. Maybe this is BAA's approach to help reduce the level of unemployment in the UK

T5 have people issuing plastic bags for liquids who might keep an eye for larger cabin bags. I normally shake my head and smile politely.

Security folks only keep an eye out for bags that would clog up the security machine. I once saw a large lamp shade do precisely that at T5. How it ever got close to the security machine I will never know. It was about the size as the the mouth of the security machine and got stuck once it was inside the machine.
Old Oct 21, 2008, 8:05 am

Programs: BA Silver, BMI Silver
I go through T5 regularly, and my bag doesn't quite fit into the plastic trays, it sits at a slight angle since it is maginally too wide, although it does fit in the metal measuring things. I've never had a problem thank goodness!
Old Oct 21, 2008, 8:10 am

Programs: BA GGL, VS Gold, BD Gold, Flying Blue Platinum, IC RA, Hilton Diamond, Eurostar Carte Blanche
Originally Posted by cjt105
I go through T5 regularly, and my bag doesn't quite fit into the plastic trays, it sits at a slight angle since it is maginally too wide, although it does fit in the metal measuring things. I've never had a problem thank goodness!
I have seen quite a few people with bags/cases that don't fit completely in the security trays and they have not been challenged. IME it is people with wheelie cases who always seem to get challenged by the t-shirt brigade. Since I changed to a soft bag I have never been challenged once.
Old Oct 21, 2008, 8:11 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I go through T5 regularly, and my bag doesn't quite fit into the plastic trays,!
Neither did one of ours and nothing was said.
Old Oct 21, 2008, 8:23 am

Programs: BAEC (blue), HHonors (gold), Marriot (gold), Hertz/ Avis (PC)
I'm always left alone to... I have this wheelie which fits exactly in the cage (the wheels graze the edge).
At LGW I've been asked to prove it a couple of times and the goons always look upset that it fits.
Old Oct 21, 2008, 8:28 am

Programs: BA, SQ
I got in trouble on Friday
My carryon does always fit in the tray, however last week it sat in really tightly (maybe the handle sat funnily) so when I lifted it out it brought the tray with it and the sharp stern comment of "Don't remove the tray!"
Old Oct 21, 2008, 9:05 am

Programs: Lord OPebble - Mucci of the Hour. Diamond Class MUCCI.Chevalier du Circle Intime de Pucci
Originally Posted by Wong Jnr
I got in trouble on Friday
My carryon does always fit in the tray, however last week it sat in really tightly (maybe the handle sat funnily) so when I lifted it out it brought the tray with it and the sharp stern comment of "Don't remove the tray!"
To which the reply is "get your tray off my case!".
Old Oct 21, 2008, 9:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've only had my bags checked when travelling Y, and then only at outstations where Gold doesn't carry so much clout. Mine doesn't fit the T5 trays either despite fitting the BA sizer.

When in J I've been stopped a couple of times by the airbridge but one glance at the BP as seen me sent on my way without further question.
Old Oct 21, 2008, 9:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Honors Diamond,Amex Platinum
I'm hopeful that as we're travelling in CW, that our potentially slightly too big bag will be allowed on. I may pack a couple of Lidl carrier bags into it and just decant everything into them should we be forced to check my beloved carry-on

Last edited by thegamebird; Oct 21, 2008 at 10:18 am
Old Oct 21, 2008, 9:27 am

Programs: Virgin Silver, BA Blue, HHonors, Priority Club
As you appear to be travelling with a youngster, I'd suggest making them wail or scream exceedingly loudly at all security points so no-one will want to delay your swift passage out of hearing range.

When travelling with Johannes the Violin I tend to feign total deafness or "no speekee Inglese" with the initial lurking bag sizing goons and then if there is any issue turn on the charm at the actual trays/scanning palaver. I've noticed also that people who carry their wheelie past BAA's Finest rather than wheel it, seem to be less likely to be stopped. Anyone else notice that?
Old Oct 21, 2008, 10:19 am

Programs: BA GfL, Hilton Gold
I go through T5 regularly, and my bag doesn't quite fit into the plastic trays
I have this Tumi case that is exactly the same size as the BA cage and it doesn't even get close to fitting the trays. Never had a problem at security, though a few months ago the goons at flight connections did keep insisting that it needed checking right up until the point at which I placed it in the cage. I left them silenced as I carried on my merry way (until I reached the Slow Track queue).

If it doesn't fit in the cage, however, then you'll need to either check it in or find a different bag to take the paraphenalia in.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.