OT - BBC iPlayer

Old Aug 16, 2008, 11:00 pm

Programs: Non-Rev Lifetime
Originally Posted by Glober
Here is another way that does not involve hosted files, and uses GreaseMonkey and FoxyProxy to emulate what I did to make it all work.

1. Download the addons for for FoxyProxy and GreaseMonkey.
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/2464
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/748
2. Next we need to configure FoxyProxy to be used in Patterns mode so that when the request to get a particular URL from the BBC is made it is made via the UK Proxy. This URL contains the token to view the video.
3. From within FireFox select the Tools Menu then FoxProxy menu and then the Options Menu.
4. Click the Add New Proxy button
5. In the Proxy Name Field enter BBC iPlayer Proxy
6. Select the Proxy Details Tab
7. Select the Manual Proxy Configuration Radio Button
8. In Hostname and Port enter the Hostname and Port (and select if it is a SOCKS Proxy and version if using SOCKS)
9. Select the Patterns tab
10. Click the Add New Pattern button
11. In the Pattern Name field enter "BBC iPlayer Media Selector Pattern"
12. In the URL Pattern enter http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediaselector/*
13. Leave the WhiteList and WildCards radio buttons selected
14. Click the Ok Button
15. Click the OK Button
16. Go to http://www.darkedges.com/bbc/iPlayer.user.js
17. When prompted click the Install button to add the GreaseMonkey Script
18. Go to http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/ and select a video to stream
19. A preview image will show and and a white "Click to play" button should appear and now your should be able to view the video. First the ident appears and then the video, which is not streamed via the proxy.

For step 8, the best place to look is here http://www.xroxy.com/proxy-country-GB.htm
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showp...3&postcount=21

Thanks for the step 8 tip.
Old Aug 16, 2008, 11:17 pm
Suspended

Actually slightly OT, I saw another thread regarding Iphone BBCiPlayer. Is that an App you need to download or do u jsut use Safari to stream?? How will is work on the Iphone with the App?
Old Aug 17, 2008, 1:17 am
uk1
Suspended

Originally Posted by Kimberley
Had a feeling there wasn't going to be an easy solution
I promise you it is simple - its just that some of the solutions offered are from well intentioned people that haven't tried the solutions they are proposing but using words like "this is your friend" and "very simple solution". Most people know that these technical solutions often come with some unforeseen disadvantages at more close quarters.

The fundamental problem with iplayer is that the BBC don't want you to watch there programmes when you're away from the UK. And then you might want to also watch non-BBC channels as well and each other channel has a different download programme. So if you want to watch a channel 4 programme you have to use a completely different service. And on top of this the programmes often "expire" and won't allow you to view them sometimes after a week, sometimes a few weeks.

So it is a "wouldn't start from here" type of question.

The slingbox was invented for Sky customers who couldn't legitimately install Sky boxes to watch East-enders in their second homes in Benidorm and when the Sky boxes were too big to take with them. The sky boxes purchased in Benidorm don't legitimately allow viewers to watch the UK channels.

So the Slingbox solution was specifically invented for people that simply want to control their home Sky system to watch some programmes whilst at their second home with their family with them. However in practice whilst it's great for showing off to your British neighbours in Benidorm - when it works - it didn't take off for obvious technical and procedural shortcomings. And it isn't suitable for people on the move who cannot be certain of what broadband they might have throughout their trip. It's simply not the best solution.

Originally Posted by star_world
Very simple solution to this - get the Freeview version of the Slingbox. Have seen that in action and it works incredibly well. That way you're not changing the channel of an existing cable / satellite STB at home, just tuning into the relevant Freeview channel.
This solution variation only cures one thing and that is the option to watch a different channel from that being seen at home. You still need to be certain of an affordable and fully functioning hi-speed broadband connection for the other end and you need to recognise that there are several elements in the link to go wrong and which do regularly go wrong. And when it does it's a call home to get someone to "switch it off from the mains, switch it back on, reset this ......"

The easy solution is to simply programme a Hummy or similar to record all the programmes you're likely to want to watch - it records two channels at a time and has a 320gb drive - and just before you leave you connect your computer to it and dump the programmes onto your portable. Then there's no fiddling around whilst away, no broadband on all the time requirement, etc.

What isn't easy about that? And you try controlling a slingbox from 39000 feet.

The defect of both the Hummy and Slingbox solution is that they both require some expenditure, and so isn't suitable for someone staying away for a single night who can live without his TV and go the the bar instead. But for someone who might be a way for a while and have periods where they yearn for some UK TV then simply recording some programmes and taking them with is an obvious solution.

My own attempts at this issue, started because we were taking cruises and we wanted to spend time in our suite rather than "mixing" and all our travel is leisure so we're away for longer periods than many. So it started with Sky to DVD, Slingbox, DVD freeview recorders, Ctube, Sky+ and Sky HD to DVD, iplayer and the cross channel variations, and now the Hummy which is the clear and simple winner.

Last edited by uk1; Aug 17, 2008 at 1:55 am
Old Aug 17, 2008, 2:26 am

Programs: BA Gold. Mucci Diamond Hairbursh & Mucci des Sacs Exotiques
Living and working outside of the UK I have looked for an easy, reliable and cheap way to keep up with certain UK programs but without much success. I have tried two Pay Per View services, one of which (easily the best service) was recently shut down. The other service is very limited in what it offers. The Slingbox is unreliable, particularly if you have an unstable internet connection.

I have found YouTube to be the easiest way to watch the programs I want. Search and you will find someone who is a fan of the program you want to watch and who will take the time every week to record and upload each episode. Works for me ^
Old Aug 17, 2008, 2:55 am

Originally Posted by uk1
I promise you it is simple - its just that some of the solutions offered are from well intentioned people that haven't tried the solutions they are proposing but using words like "this is your friend" and "very simple solution". Most people know that these technical solutions often come with some unforeseen disadvantages at more close quarters.
Bit harsh, I simply didn't have time to expand on this yesterday as I was busy.

The OP has been given a number of options and somebody else added to my comments on the Slingbox so probably not much more for me to add.\
Old Aug 17, 2008, 3:41 am

Programs: BAEC Gold/CCR; SAA Voyager Gold; Virgin Nigeria: no idea what level and nor do they!; Hilton Hhonors
Originally Posted by Genius1
Kill-joy moment:

Trying to access the BBC iPlayer service outside of the UK is against the terms and conditions of the service;

http://iplayerhelp.external.bbc.co.u...layer/termscon
Why should this bother me? I pay my BBC television licence fee out of which all of their bloated activities are funded, except for the revenue from overseas sales. I should not be restricted as to the location from which I wish to view or hear the services I have paid for. Let's remember that last year the BBC came under huge criticism for a massive overspend of publlic money just on its website (they spent a whopping Ł110 million, Ł35 million more than the budget!). What they should do is give each licence payer an access code to view iPlayer from anywhere.

I agree with the comments on Slingbox - works OK fixed point to fixed point provided the UK broadband end is rock solid. I've used it at my apartment in Brazil with no problems. Not good on the move.
Old Aug 17, 2008, 3:53 am
uk1
Suspended

Originally Posted by Best Ferret
Why should this bother me? I pay my BBC television licence fee out of which all of their bloated activities are funded, except for the revenue from overseas sales. I should not be restricted as to the location from which I wish to view or hear the services I have paid for.
I agree - but the BBC has copyright obligations to most of it's content providers which allow it to show the material to audiences within the UK but take every reasonable step to preclude people overseas from watching it. Bizarrely even content it has sold overseas that it originates itself it is obligated to stop UK market from seeing from UK sources when they are overseas. Hence the stuff above about proxies.

In practice this means that every time a viewer overseas comes up with a cunning new way of circumventing it's copyright protection activities amd software, it has an obligation to take reaonable steps to cut it off.
Old Aug 17, 2008, 4:39 am

Originally Posted by Best Ferret
Why should this bother me? I pay my BBC television licence fee out of which all of their bloated activities are funded.
You pay a licence fee to hold a TV or equipment capable of receiving a television broadcasts in the UK, this funds the BBC as well as digital switchover and may in the future be used for any other public service broadcasting - nothing more and nothing less. So (to bring things slightly OTish!) in exactly the same way that when you're sat in WT+ and a WT passenger decides to take advantage of an empty seat next to you become a little annoyed. So too are the many people that happily pay for the licence fee and indeed those that spend most their lives working for the corporation - (here I must declare an interest.) Putting it simple - watching BBC programmes without a licence fee OR distributing them by whatever means is theft. Whilst you may not like the BBC funding structure - that's the way it is!
Old Aug 17, 2008, 5:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA - GGL GFL
Originally Posted by rob2275
You pay a licence fee to hold a TV or equipment capable of receiving a television broadcasts in the UK, this funds the BBC as well as digital switchover and may in the future be used for any other public service broadcasting - nothing more and nothing less. So (to bring things slightly OTish!) in exactly the same way that when you're sat in WT+ and a WT passenger decides to take advantage of an empty seat next to you become a little annoyed. So too are the many people that happily pay for the licence fee and indeed those that spend most their lives working for the corporation - (here I must declare an interest.) Putting it simple - watching BBC programmes without a licence fee OR distributing them by whatever means is theft. Whilst you may not like the BBC funding structure - that's the way it is!
I originally asked the question as when I arrived at my French home last week my Sky satellite which normally provides me with all my favourite BBC and other channels was not receiving a signal. Fortunately the engineers are coming out on Monday. Given that a large part of Europe can easily receive Freesat and therefore BBC channels, blocking iPlayer to license fee payers is somewhat annoying but I do understand the obligations of the BBC and Sky to only broadcast their content to UK viewers.
Old Aug 17, 2008, 5:48 am
uk1
Suspended

Originally Posted by vSFU
I originally asked the question as when I arrived at my French home last week my Sky satellite which normally provides me with all my favourite BBC and other channels was not receiving a signal. Fortunately the engineers are coming out on Monday. Given that a large part of Europe can easily receive Freesat and therefore BBC channels, blocking iPlayer to license fee payers is somewhat annoying but I do understand the obligations of the BBC and Sky to only broadcast their content to UK viewers.
To be frank - it would have been a bit more helpful if you'd mentioned this in your op as access to a satellite dish in a permanent home opens up many more possibilities.

C'est la vie.
Old Aug 17, 2008, 6:22 am

Programs: AA Platinum Lifetime, Hilton Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by uk1
You say "lots of good reports" - do you have any personal experieince?

If you like to mandate what your family will watch whilst you're away (they watch what you watch) - and like the idea of having to be online permanently whilst away to watch tv - it's great.

It's a possible idea if you want to watch TV from a second property abroad whilst you have the whole family with you - and feel that you particularly have to watch stuff that's been broadcast between the time you left home and arrived at the prpperty - otherwise I would have thought most would consider it a very poor and impractical solution compared with recording a wide range of BBC, ITV and other channels that are available on a freeview on a Hummy and simply downloading the programmes onto your computer and taking it with. No annoying the family, no broadband required whilst away, certainty of having programmes you want to view etc ......

Perhaps even more importantly you have the programmes for the lounge and the flight (making you totally idependent of the vagaries of what's working and not) as well as the hotel ...... a no brainer!
I have slingbox. Yes, it works fantastic even in remote locations like Beijing.

I have slingbox hooked up to a 2nd satellite/Tivo which does not affect the family's living room viewing.

As I can be sent overseas for several weeks at a time in locations where English language broadcasting is limited or non-existent... yes, I do like to get a taste of home before I get back.
Old Aug 17, 2008, 6:44 am
uk1
Suspended

Originally Posted by aspex
I have slingbox. Yes, it works fantastic even in remote locations like Beijing.

I have slingbox hooked up to a 2nd satellite/Tivo which does not affect the family's living room viewing.

As I can be sent overseas for several weeks at a time in locations where English language broadcasting is limited or non-existent... yes, I do like to get a taste of home before I get back.

Excellent.

The thread has in fact moved on because the OP has indicated new information he hadn't said before. I was responding to two posts from people that endorsed products that they hadn't personally used.

You have a second satellite setup and a remote location used for more than a night or two. This was to avoid disturbing those at home. Exactly one of the points I was making. Once he gets his signal sorted out he won't need his iplayer.

And what's wrong with Beijing TV!

Last edited by uk1; Aug 17, 2008 at 6:56 am
Old Aug 17, 2008, 7:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA - GGL GFL
Originally Posted by uk1
To be frank - it would have been a bit more helpful if you'd mentioned this in your op as access to a satellite dish in a permanent home opens up many more possibilities.

C'est la vie.
As I also travel regularly for work, I was also interested to know how I could access iPlayer from other locations, therefore the responses on this thread have been very useful. The satellite not working was my catalyst for asking the original question. Thanks
Old Aug 17, 2008, 7:08 am
uk1
Suspended

Originally Posted by vSFU
As I also travel regularly for work, I was also interested to know how I could access iPlayer from other locations, therefore the responses on this thread have been very useful. The satellite not working was my catalyst for asking the original question. Thanks

People try to help. 30 seconds longer on your original post might have produced:
I have a property in France and my satellite signal has gone and I'm waiting for an engineer to repair it. I'm therefore hoping to use iplayer whilst the satellite is down for a few BBC programmes I might otherwise miss. But iplayer doesn't like to work when travelling abroad. It also occurs to me that the temporary iplayer solution might be attractive for other trips.

Can other FT'ers suggest a temporary ipalyer fix and suggest other methods of watching UK TV when travelling elsewhere?
.......... and might have helped others to help you better?!

Anyway - pointless continuing.
Old Aug 17, 2008, 7:15 am

Programs: BA Au; IHG Pl; Hyatt Au; IC RA; Marriott Pl
Interesting thread.

Since the early days of VHS, any licence-payer has been free to record broadcast content for personal use and playback ad-infinitum. So if I was regularly travelling abroad, there was nothing to prevent my wife recording content and sending or bringing the recording to me to be watched at my leisure abroad. Why are things different for the iPlayer? A personal key or certificate could be provided to ensure restricted rights (as is done with great success with software IP)

In the days before the internet and satellite broadcasting, UK domestic television broadcasts were not available abroad (apart from nearshore areas of France, Belgium and the Netherlands). However, medium- and long-wave radio broadcasts were always available and could not be restricted, apart from by atmospheric and earth-curvature constraints. I have definite recollections of unrestricted access to broadcast content such as the 1990 World Cup. I enjoyed being able to follow the commentary in my own language on a familiar broadcast.

Living in Madrid during World Cup 2006 was mega-frustrating. Not only were rights management techniques used to prevent access to BBC content, but the local domestic broadcasters in Spain were not even showing the content I wanted to view. Hence I missed around 70% of the content. Surely the purpose of DRM is to prevent users by-passing local providers, affecting subscription and/or advertising revenues. It simply doesn't work in this case.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.