OT: any chance of costs going down?

Old Aug 15, 08, 11:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
OT: any chance of costs going down?

I note today that the CC fee is up at 4, ticket change fee has snuck up to 40, fuel surcharge is up (although fuel is now down), taxes are up and Gatwick Express has reached a ludicrous price.

I am looking at some reasonable CE fares right now but also need to book some cheapies in ET (got to tighten the belt somehow).

I have 14 European flights to book between now and January and am just contemplating whether given the current climate there's any danger of a seat sale happening?

The economist in me would favour the price hikes, route changes and cost cutting exercise but the marketeer in me would look to get more bums on seats and aim to restore some consumer confidence (more than just by saying T5 is working).
Old Aug 15, 08, 2:37 pm

If you find attractive fares today; buy them. I doubt we will see price drops (excluding sales, which only BA know of and certainly wont leak here...) based on the current climate.

I suspect we will see prices rise slowly. The price of Oil has dropped but remember airlines hedge hence aren't instantly exposed to price volatility.

If you fancy something right now, buy it. Unless it is an item/service you can bargain or have leverage. This is obviously not the case with airlines
Old Aug 15, 08, 3:43 pm

Programs: BA GGL, VS Gold, BD Gold, Flying Blue Platinum, IC RA, Hilton Diamond, Eurostar Carte Blanche
Originally Posted by Petrus View Post
If you find attractive fares today; buy them.
I second that. I looked yesterday for 2 tickets to Prague, nice I class prices came up Went to book it today and could only get I class on the outbound (on a later flight than yesterday as well!) and D class for the return - so that added an extra £200+

Search this Thread