Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Baggage Delay: What Is BA Policy On Reimbursement?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Baggage Delay: What Is BA Policy On Reimbursement?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2008, 12:51 am
Hoc
Original Poster

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Diamond, AA 2.5 MM, United Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by trueblu
praise where it's due -- BA came up trumps here.
Absolutely. The mark of an honorable and ethical company. We have fewer and fewer of those in the USA nowadays.
Old Oct 2, 2008, 4:16 am

Programs: UA, TK, Starwood > Marriott, Hilton, Accor
One quick question: In which ways do the compensation rules differ if bags are delayed at home?

My bag has not yet made it back to ZRH, and obviously I did not ask for nor get any assistance so far. But if the delay is more than, say, 48 hours, there will be a few items that I'd need which are in the bag and that I would need to replace. Also, there are gifts I bought for a party this week-end (72hrs after my arrival).
Old Oct 2, 2008, 4:25 am

I was given a pre-loaded card last year in CPT when my bags missed the flight. It contained £150. I was travelling in Club but out of interest I asked if it was the same for everybody and the BA manager at CPT told me that if I had been in WT or WT+ I would only have got a £30 card.

Anyway my bag arrived the next day, I pocketed the £100 of what was left, and the lovely staff at CPT upgraded me to F on the way home.^
Old Oct 2, 2008, 4:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by koksy
I was given a pre-loaded card last year in CPT when my bags missed the flight. It contained £150. I was travelling in Club but out of interest I asked if it was the same for everybody and the BA manager at CPT told me that if I had been in WT or WT+ I would only have got a £30 card.

Anyway my bag arrived the next day, I pocketed the £100 of what was left, and the lovely staff at CPT upgraded me to F on the way home.^
I trust you did £300 of shopping each for "essentials" courtesy of travel insurance.
Old Oct 2, 2008, 4:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by airoli
One quick question: In which ways do the compensation rules differ if bags are delayed at home?

My bag has not yet made it back to ZRH, and obviously I did not ask for nor get any assistance so far. But if the delay is more than, say, 48 hours, there will be a few items that I'd need which are in the bag and that I would need to replace. Also, there are gifts I bought for a party this week-end (72hrs after my arrival).
Well if the bag is "lost" or arrives home "damaged", then you can ask for compensation.

Assuming the bag is just "delayed" arriving home, then travel insurance doesn't (generally) pay out, and neither does BA.

If you have a strong case for compensation, like the my suitcase contains my my wooden leg, and I therefore cannot walk, and I there have to take taxis everywhere, and here are the receipts, and would you BA like to consider reimbursing me, then that's another matter.
Old Oct 2, 2008, 6:04 am

Originally Posted by Smirnoff
Assuming the bag is just "delayed" arriving home, then travel insurance doesn't (generally) pay out, and neither does BA.
Depends how you clarify "home" I suppose...
Old Oct 2, 2008, 6:10 am

Programs: BA Silver / Bonyoy Platinum
This is all a very grey area. I got stuck at LHR when they had the bad December fog back in 06. Our luggage wasn't located so we were stranded in London with no Luggage. That is just like being in any other city in the world, except our home city, with no luggage.

Amex would not pay delayed baggage compensation as we were on our final trip home. On checking the policy it states no cover on the final LEG of the trip. Which to me would have been LHR-EDI. So they SHOULD have paid out.

However if you are now home but your luggage isn't then my understanding is that, no, you won't get a penny paid out unless it turns in to lost luggage and not delayed luggage.
Old Oct 2, 2008, 8:18 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

On a one way ticket last year LHR-EZE in F one of our six bags went walkabout.The funny thing is we were relocating to Argentina so we had in actual fact arrived home.
However we were given the £200 loaded card and were very adequately recompensed by BA with miles. Maybe one way tickets are treated differently?
Old Dec 19, 2008, 4:35 pm

Programs: BA GGL, HH Diamond, SPG Plat, Le Club Plat
Pity I didn´t read this thread earlier in the day - 48 hours and still no luggage, (having flown in CE and later F) so went shopping ... to Target Jeans, long sleeved top and jacket for the total princely sum of $50 ... do you think I can ask BA for an extra few miles seeing as I was so frugal ... and gather the bags are unlikely to turn up for yet another day
Old Dec 19, 2008, 5:19 pm

Programs: BA Silver / Bonyoy Platinum
Originally Posted by doreenmc
Pity I didn´t read this thread earlier in the day - 48 hours and still no luggage, (having flown in CE and later F) so went shopping ... to Target Jeans, long sleeved top and jacket for the total princely sum of $50 ... do you think I can ask BA for an extra few miles seeing as I was so frugal ... and gather the bags are unlikely to turn up for yet another day
Well it is always a gamble but I would just go buy an outfit that, if you don't get reimbursed for, you would have been happy to have bought anyway.

Did you not get comp at the airport?
Old Dec 19, 2008, 6:24 pm

Programs: BA GGL, HH Diamond, SPG Plat, Le Club Plat
Originally Posted by Aerotec
Did you not get comp at the airport?
Not a mention ... it was really Iberia's fault - didn´t make the connection at MAD after 2 1/2 hour delay in TFN. I tried to get them to reroute the bags from MAD to LHR but the guys at LGW said they preferred to control it themselves and the bags would be on the JFK flight the next day (but as luck would have it that flight was cancelled) so I gather some bright spark decided on routing them to ATL today, though there is no direct AA flight from there to RDU where I was Target shopping. When I mentioned LHR again on the phone, the chap in LGW said the only way they could get the bags over to LHR would be to fly them via MAN (can that really be true)
Old Mar 27, 2009, 10:32 am
Hoc
Original Poster

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Diamond, AA 2.5 MM, United Gold, Hyatt Globalist
I wanted to bring this thread back up to thank everyone for all of your help. And to update you and ask one more question.

The update is that BA reimbursed us for all spending we did while we were without bags -- almost 75% of the convention amount.

Is BA this good about it, no matter what class you are flying in, or was the service so good because we were in F? If they are that good about service, no matter the class, I think that I might switch more of my international flying to them.
Old Mar 27, 2009, 2:50 pm

Originally Posted by Hoc
I wanted to bring this thread back up to thank everyone for all of your help. And to update you and ask one more question.

The update is that BA reimbursed us for all spending we did while we were without bags -- almost 75% of the convention amount.

Is BA this good about it, no matter what class you are flying in, or was the service so good because we were in F? If they are that good about service, no matter the class, I think that I might switch more of my international flying to them.
My only experiences in this arena are as a result of baggage loss from single class domestic flights, so definitely not just for F pax.
Old Mar 28, 2009, 2:22 am
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
My experiences with BA losing a bag on a LHR-CPH flight in January were a little different. I was connecting to DC the next day, and in the end the bag did not get to me until after I was back in the UK.

1. All the BA staff from the person who rebooked me through to the gate agent said the bag would be transferred to the flight I was on. In fact it was dumped back in the baggage hall.

2. BA paid for new clothing and toiletries at a very poor exchange rate meaning I was out of pocket.

3. They would not pay for the >£100 of phone calls made to them, their agents in CPH, and Dulles airport so I was out of pocket again. Not once did BA ever phone me about the problem.

4. On the return to the UK, I called in at the baggage hall in T1 (as UA had left the replacement bags in Dulles on the way home - don't get me started), and BA in IAD had re-routed the bags to CPH, even though it clearly showed the UK as my address.

5. The upshot was a cheque for the clothing (about 90% of cost), nothing for the phone calls, a £50 travel voucher and 25,000 miles. Whether you consider this value for being unable to attend events around the inaguration is a personal view.

6. The bags were returned at 8pm on the day I got home; 6 days after BA lost them.
Old Mar 28, 2009, 9:42 am

Programs: Lord OPebble - Mucci of the Hour. Diamond Class MUCCI.Chevalier du Circle Intime de Pucci
Originally Posted by HIDDY
You should have been given a pre-loaded cash card with at least £200 on it from the BA agent.
I tried that at FRA once when collecting the unisex washbag after my bag didn't make it and was told that FRA was too small an outstation to hold the cards!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.