Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Promotion to Gold - Takes how long?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2008, 11:53 am
Original Poster

Promotion to Gold - Takes how long?

Hello everyone. OK, this sounds like a commonly asked question, but I could not find an answer in either the Ultimate Guide nor in a load of searches that threw up a ton of posts - not surprising given the subject and the words I used in the search.

My next trip, an ex-EU J class, will see me hit the Gold marker on the outbound. I fly back about 4 working days later with a fat transfer in T5. I'm not expecting tags and card nor am I worried about the miles/points of the return leg getting eaten in the renewal process, as I know I can get these regurgitated. I would simply like to know if it's likely I'll have been promoted to Gold by the time of my return so that the little scanner in LHR will allow me First Lounge entry and I'll be able to pre-select seats that are held back for Gold, etc.... I'd like to ponce it up with all the Firsts.

Likely? Affectable?

Many thanks...
Old Jul 8, 2008, 12:18 pm

Programs: QF, VA, VN, BA, SQ, KC - all reds and blues.
If my experience is replicated, you will very quickly be promoted to Gold and your BP will say Gold within a day or two. It will take weeks for a card to arrive. Meanwhile, any flight you take on BA anywhere in sight of turning Gold will initially get credited to your account and will then be wiped as a Tier Points Adjustment. This will be followed by anguished phone calls to BAEC, lots of pleading, and eventual reinstatement of TPs.

I've read elsewhere of getting a lounge letter faxed through. You might want to enquire about that if you want to be certain of access to lounges. All my flights were between SYY (no lounge) and EDI (terraces lounge) or within the Outer Hebrides (no lounges) so it wasn't an issue.

On edit - Firsts at LHR get access to the Concorde Room. Business pax have to make do with the Business Lounge. Therefore, the First Lounge will only have BA Golds or OW Emeralds flying in lesser cabins, I think.
Old Jul 8, 2008, 1:21 pm

Programs: BA Gold, QR Silver
For me...

Final points scoring flight last Thursday
Points post Friday
Points reset and Gold awarded Saturday
Monday - called BAEC for fax confirming status (as flying Tuesday)
Wednesday - gold card arrived (may have been Tuesday but away)

Surprised as much faster than others have said and certainly much faster than when last qualified for silver.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.