Wiki Posts
Search

Dedicated Club check-in at T5

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2008, 3:31 am
vla

Programs: Mucci, BAEC Gold, Aegean Gold
venturing mildly OT

Another thing I noticed yesterday morning which made me just think BAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa was this: Okay, so one passes through South Security and turns left to head downstairs and to the lounges. Fine. But doesn't it just say a lot -- not to mention disrupt the flow -- to have the down escalator placed in the opposite direction than the direction of general traffic arriving from the security point. Which causes bottlenecks. Which causes one to notice the duty free, or Prada, or whatever.

Where have I seen this before? Oh yeah, American shopping malls.

(I mean, little wonder, but still...)
Old Jul 6, 2008, 3:34 am

Programs: Sir CT-UK - Streaker pour les autres.
Originally Posted by vla
Another thing I noticed yesterday morning which made me just think BAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa was this: Okay, so one passes through South Security and turns left to head downstairs and to the lounges. Fine. But doesn't it just say a lot -- not to mention disrupt the flow -- to have the down escalator placed in the opposite direction than the direction of general traffic arriving from the security point. Which causes bottlenecks. Which causes one to notice the duty free, or Prada, or whatever.

Where have I seen this before? Oh yeah, American shopping malls.

(I mean, little wonder, but still...)
It used to be the right way round but the reversed them a while ago.
Old Jul 6, 2008, 4:03 am

Programs: Lord OPebble - Mucci of the Hour. Diamond Class MUCCI.Chevalier du Circle Intime de Pucci
Originally Posted by CT-UK
Actually I think that both escalators used to go down!
Old Jul 6, 2008, 4:32 am
Suspended

Programs: Proud owner of 3 Mucci's (yes, 3!) the latest being Chevaliere des Bains Chauds, BA Silver (6 yrs)
Originally Posted by BA1A
Hmmm......I wonder if I should start a petition
Aaaargggghhhhhh

We do honour the seating order at LGW but not every time. Seems to depend on the agent in charge of boarding and/or how busy the flight is. Some say that to do it on short haul slows up the boarding process as the pax in CE block the aisles putting their bags in the overhead.
Old Jul 6, 2008, 4:38 am
Suspended

Programs: Proud owner of 3 Mucci's (yes, 3!) the latest being Chevaliere des Bains Chauds, BA Silver (6 yrs)
Originally Posted by OPebble
Actually I think that both escalators used to go down!
Most of the time they do just go down, but there are times that they put one going up. Seems to be no pattern to it.

And vla I understand what you say about facing the wrong direction, buy remember far more people go airside from the North security area and the escalators are facing the right direction for them.
Old Jul 6, 2008, 4:58 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by xxxxx
VS promise 10 minutes for their business class passengers.

BA promise 10 minutes for ALL pax.
TBH it can take a little more than this if travelling before 9am which should improve when all T4 moves over to T5 when T5 will be manned as planned.
This is great for passengers, but BA are missing the point. CW passengers pay extra for the premium cabin, and quite rightly expect a premium service - which should be offered from check in right through to arrival at their destination. That's one of the things people pay extra for.

It's all very well saying it's not so busy after 9am but what happens to those in CW checking in before that time - do you just say "tough, you should have picked a later flight". Check in should be a smooth and quick experience for all premium passengers no matter what time of day they fly.

And, let's not forget an separate check in area for Silver card holders is still being shown as one of the benefits for those holding that card.

I hope I'm wrong but I'm not convinced things will improve when the rest of T4 moves over. There are a lot of long hauls with their great number of CW pax. As a small number of flights will continue in T4 some staff will have to stay there so I can see even great problems in September than now.
Old Jul 6, 2008, 5:03 am

Programs: BA - Gold for Life, CCR & GGL; IC Spire Elite Ambassador; Diamond Hilton Honors; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by sunrisegirl
This is great for passengers, but BA are missing the point. CW passengers pay extra for the premium cabin, and quite rightly expect a premium service - which should be offered from check in right through to arrival at their destination. That's one of the things people pay extra for.
^^

I hope I'm wrong but I'm not convinced things will improve when the rest of T4 moves over. There are a lot of long hauls with their great number of CW pax. As a small number of flights will continue in T4 some staff will have to stay there so I can see even great problems in September than now.
Oh dear.

I have a YYZ just after the change in mid September, but at least I am in F ().
Old Jul 6, 2008, 9:40 am

Programs: BA GGL, VS Gold, BD Gold, Flying Blue Platinum, IC RA, Hilton Diamond, Eurostar Carte Blanche
Originally Posted by CT-UK
They did, but if you take a right where the first escalator is now coming up and go in to Harrods near the Tumi luggage, that escalator is always going down. Brings you out in the perfume counter area at the bottom and you just take a left and then head to the longes.
Old Jul 6, 2008, 10:36 am

Originally Posted by Gaz
Well, like plenty of other BA promises (like just 'flowing' through T5), they've broken that one in style. I've flown about 7 times out of T5, and not once have I done it in under 10 minutes.

Flying VS UC a month ago, they were true to their word. I should also point out, although BMI make no such 'promises' (as far as I know), the two flights I've taken out of T1 recently resulted in me being in the lounge in under 10 minutes.
If you're going to quote me, can you please use the full quote.
Old Jul 6, 2008, 10:43 am

It's all very well saying it's not so busy after 9am but what happens to those in CW checking in before that time - do you just say "tough, you should have picked a later flight". Check in should be a smooth and quick experience for all premium passengers no matter what time of day they fly.

And, let's not forget an separate check in area for Silver card holders is still being shown as one of the benefits for those holding that card.

There's always Zone E desks 13-24 which can be used for Club check in by many a reluctant A5. Will you be in LGW come Sep or getting stuck in?

Last edited by xxxxx; Jul 6, 2008 at 11:04 am
Old Jul 6, 2008, 11:00 am

Once we get to that stage all staff will report to 5 and then the ones for 4 will go across for the late flights. It shouldnt be too much of an issue at all really. Also bear in mind that there are new staff coming off of training courses every week at the moment so numbers are growing.
Old Jul 6, 2008, 11:27 am

Programs: MUCCI
Originally Posted by adrianjc32
Once we get to that stage all staff will report to 5 and then the ones for 4 will go across for the late flights. It shouldnt be too much of an issue at all really. Also bear in mind that there are new staff coming off of training courses every week at the moment so numbers are growing.
Thought that it would only be 3 flights from T4 from September,

LHR-SIN
LHR-SIN-SYD
LHR-BKK-SYD

They all leave within a couple of hours of each other and all in the evening. I can't see how you will need that many staff for these.......

FD
Old Jul 6, 2008, 1:16 pm

Originally Posted by Gaz
10 minutes today? Are you serious? What time was your flight? Or were you flying First? Check-in was a jungle between 7-8.
09.45 to NCL. Checked in, I think shortly after 8am, near South Security. Didn't use F desks.

I know you won't want to hear this, but we left 3 mins prior to scheduled departure time and were in NCL 10 mins ahead of schedule.
Old Jul 6, 2008, 1:22 pm

Programs: |QF Platinum|HH Gold|DL Silver|ALL Silver|
Originally Posted by Smirnoff
Would you rather have a dedicated CW check-in, a la T4, where it takes 15-30 minutes to check in and go through security?

Or a T5 version, where the whole process takes 10 minutes?
Like I said, I'll be departing from T5 for the first time in the next few days, but this would be nice - http://www.thejuiceinnovations.co.uk...rive_thru.html
Old Jul 6, 2008, 1:50 pm
Suspended

There's always Zone E desks 13-24 which can be used for Club check in by many a reluctant A5.
True, though I've always been told they're really ticket desks rather than check in or bag drop for CW pax.

Will you be in LGW come Sep or getting stuck in?
I certainly hope I'll be there at T5 to lend a helping hand. There's a large number of us still love coming up there, though we're not being given as much opportunity lately as we'd like.

Thanks adrianjc32 for your comments. That does clarify things a bit and I hope it all works out as planned.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.